Stamford, Nebraska

related topics
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{land, century, early}
{line, north, south}
{village, small, smallsup}
{town, population, incorporate}
{food, make, wine}

Stamford is a village in Harlan County, Nebraska, United States. The population was 202 at the 2000 census.

Contents

History

Stamford, named after Stamford, Connecticut, was laid out by the Lincoln Land Company in 1887, becoming incorporated as a village in 1907. The first town board members were Frank Tripe, A. E. Pettygrove, Nic Nielsen, George Zulauf, and J. K. Richmond.

Supported by agriculture, miles of rich farm ground surround the town. Crops grown in the area include corn, alfalfa, wheat, and milo. Livestock includes cattle, swine, and sheep.

In 1887 George Zulauf built a flour and feed mill on the north bank of the Sappa Creek. The building was covered with red tin and powered by the flowing water in the creek bed ten feet below it. Zulauf operated this mill until 1919 when the Gilchrist Bros purchased it. Fire destroyed the mill in 1920.

The post office was established in the community in 1887, phone service in 1901, electricity in 1915, and water works in 1927.

A school was erected in town in 1888 in the west side of town. The building was replaced with a red brick building on the east side of town in 1918.

Geography

Stamford is located at 40°7′57″N 99°35′36″W / 40.1325°N 99.59333°W / 40.1325; -99.59333 (40.132554, -99.593368)[3].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.5 square miles (1.2 km²), all of it land.

The town is located 7 miles (11 km) west of Orleans, Nebraska, 14 miles (23 km) east of Beaver City, Nebraska, 10 miles (16 km) southeast of Oxford, Nebraska, and 13 miles (21 km) north of Long Island, Kansas.

Demographics

As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 202 people, 90 households, and 57 families residing in the village. The population density was 426.0 people per square mile (165.9/km²). There were 102 housing units at an average density of 215.1/sq mi (83.8/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 97.03% White, 0.50% from other races, and 2.48% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.47% of the population.

Full article ▸

related documents
Lamy, New Mexico
Sayre, Pennsylvania
Fort Montgomery, New York
Foresthill, California
Tonopah, Nevada
Maeystown, Illinois
Boydton, Virginia
Greenville, Virginia
Elwood, Illinois
Elizabeth, Indiana
Panhandle, Texas
Viola, New York
Port Sulphur, Louisiana
Whitinsville, Massachusetts
Pearl River, Louisiana
Clint, Texas
Top-of-the-World, Arizona
Brady, Washington
Glenwood, Utah
Medina, New York
Starbuck, Washington
Howard, New York
Groom, Texas
Evant, Texas
Neihart, Montana
Mount Lebanon, Louisiana
Belfry, Montana
North Syracuse, New York
Calumet-Norvelt, Pennsylvania
Fidelity, Illinois