Swanton, Nebraska

related topics
{build, building, house}
{household, population, female}
{area, community, home}
{line, north, south}
{group, member, jewish}
{village, small, smallsup}
{town, population, incorporate}
{food, make, wine}
{household, population, family}
{church, century, christian}
{day, year, event}
{work, book, publish}

Swanton is a village in Saline County, Nebraska, United States. The population was 106 at the 2000 census.

Contents

Geography

Swanton is located at 40°22′45″N 97°4′48″W / 40.37917°N 97.08°W / 40.37917; -97.08 (40.379298, -97.080011)[3].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.2 square miles (0.5 km²), all of it land.

History

A hamlet called "Loudon City" was founded in the early 1860s, about two miles west of the present town of Swanton. It had a church, a post office, a school, a store, and several homes. When the Nebraska-Colorado Railroad Company constructed a line between De Witt and Tobias in 1883, a new town was established in Section 22, and this hamlet disappeared.

The Lincoln Land Company purchased land from Charles Caldwell, J.C. Deweese, Albert Cornish, and C. Shepherd. Streets and alleys were laid out, and it was given the name "Morris." The postal authorities turned the name down, having just approved the town of "Norris" in Cedar County. (Later a town by that name was approved in Hayes County.) The name "Swanton" was agreed upon, presumably because of its location on Swan Creek. The post office was officially established on May 29, 1884. Mail was delivered by rail until the late 1930s when a Star truck route was established.

A school was also organized in 1884, and soon consisted of three frame buildings adjoining each other. A brick school was built in 1909, and by 1913 there were classes for K-12 students. An auditorium was added in 1954, but by 1961 enrollment had dropped so that the high school classes were discontinue. In 1966 the Swanton District joined with schools in Jefferson County, Nebraska and Gage County, Nebraska counties to form the Tri-County School District.

At one time seven churches served the Swanton area. The United Methodist Church is the only survivor. It was organized in 1884, holding services in the schoolhouse until its church was dedicated in 1891. A United Brethren church was built shortly afterwards, but rejoined the Methodists in 1922. The Catholic Church faded from the Swanton community in the 1950s. The East Zion congregation, organized in Section 24 in 1871, voted to disband in 1981. An Evangelical church, built in 1885, was torn down in the 1950s. The South Fork German congregation building in Section 30 in 1874 is said to be the first Methodist church in Saline County. This church merged with the North Fork congregation in 1921, building a new church in the town of Western.

Full article ▸

related documents
Bernice, Louisiana
Trumbull, Nebraska
Rosendale, New York
Pocahontas, Virginia
Cheswick, Pennsylvania
Fairbury, Illinois
Calumet, Michigan
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Garner, North Carolina
Canonsburg, Pennsylvania
Pāhala, Hawai'i
Shenandoah, Virginia
Merna, Nebraska
Roby, Texas
Carbonado, Washington
Mineral, Illinois
Tuttle, North Dakota
Darlington, South Carolina
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Palo Cedro, California
Skiatook, Oklahoma
Agawam, Massachusetts
Amity, Arkansas
Columbia, California
Helper, Utah
Washingtonville, New York
Spring Valley, Illinois
Asher, Oklahoma
Metolius, Oregon
Rincon, Georgia