Timnath, Colorado

related topics
{household, population, female}
{area, community, home}
{borough, population, unit_pref}
{utc_offset, utc_offset_dst, timezone}
{land, century, early}
{build, building, house}
{school, student, university}
{line, north, south}
{town, population, incorporate}
{household, population, family}
{ship, engine, design}
{government, party, election}
{island, water, area}

The Town of Timnath is a Statutory Town located in Larimer County, Colorado, United States. Founded in 1882, Timnath is a small agricultural/farming community located southeast of Fort Collins, Colorado, approximately one-half mile east of the Harmony Road/Interstate 25 interchange, on a small bluff east of the Cache la Poudre River. The surrounding farmlands have been used primarily for potatoes, alfalfa, sugar beets, and cattle. Although the town has remained virtually unchanged in recent decades, the encroaching growth of both Fort Collins to the west and Windsor to the south have placed the town in an area considered favorable to development. The population was 223 at the 2000 census.

Contents

Description

Other structures lining Main Street (a section of County Road 5) include an elementary school (in the Poudre School District), a one-story modern post-office, and several other historic buildings. Most residences are single-family homes.

History

The area was first homesteaded by white settlers in 1869. The first schoolhouse was constructed that year, approximately one-half mile west of the current town, and was named "Fairview". By 1880, the community had outgrown the schoolhouse, and new "Fairview" school was built just north of the current town. The school also served as an early meeting place for the Presbyterian Church. The turning point in the early history of the community was in 1882, with the arrival of the Greeley, Salt Lake and Pacific Railroad (controlled by the Union Pacific) linking Greeley and Fort Collins. The following year, the Presbyterian Church, petitioned by local residents, sent a missionary to found a congregation. The current structure along Main Street dates from that year.

A post office was established in 1884, headed by Reverend Charles A. Taylor, the local Presbyterian minister. When the post office was formed, Taylor bestowed the current name of the town from the 14th chapter of the Book of Judges, as the place where Samson went to obtain a Philistine wife. In 1900 the second school became outdated and a new one was built, dropping the name "Fairview" permanently. This structure currently stands as an out-building to the current elementary school. A larger school was built in 1918 (which burned in 1935 and was rebuilt the following year). The school district was consolidated with that of Fort Collins in 1960.

Full article ▸

related documents
Nunn, Colorado
Narberth, Pennsylvania
Frankfort, Illinois
Westmont, Pennsylvania
Allenhurst, New Jersey
New Morgan, Pennsylvania
Norridge, Illinois
Colesville, Maryland
Aurora, Utah
Ben Avon Heights, Pennsylvania
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
Cresbard, South Dakota
West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
Stockertown, Pennsylvania
Edmeston, New York
Lombard, Illinois
Williamstown, New Jersey
Port Charlotte, Florida
Frackville, Pennsylvania
Youngsville, Louisiana
Mackinaw City, Michigan
Channahon, Illinois
Choudrant, Louisiana
Malvern, Iowa
Glenwood, Iowa
Greenville, Westchester County, New York
Jupiter, Florida
North Wales, Pennsylvania
Stockbridge, Michigan
Apex, North Carolina