Vernon Parish, Louisiana

related topics
{household, population, female}
{land, century, early}
{area, part, region}
{build, building, house}
{group, member, jewish}
{service, military, aircraft}
{car, race, vehicle}
{theory, work, human}
{county, mile, population}
{food, make, wine}
{country, population, people}
{rate, high, increase}
{mi², represent, 1st}

Vernon Parish (French: Paroisse de Vernon) is a parish located in the U.S. state of Louisiana. The parish seat is Leesville and as of 2000, the population was 52,531.

Vernon Parish is part of the Fort Polk South Micropolitan Statistical Area as well as the Fort Polk South–DeRidder Combined Statistical Area.

Contents

History

On March 30, 1871, the Louisiana General Assembly passed an act designating the creation of Vernon Parish, by taking territory from the parishes of Natchitoches, Rapides, and Sabine. While there seem to be four stories surrounding the naming of the Parish, only one of which is affirmed officially by the State[1] and that being it was named in honor of Mt. Vernon, the home of George Washington. Other stories, though folklore, are: 1) That it was named after a race horse owned by Joe Moore, one of the members of the committee chosen to name the parish, who claimed that by naming the parish after his fast horse the committee would insure the growth of the parish to be as fast as his horse. 2) Was named after a popular teacher who had been an officer in the Royal Navy, only mentioned as "Mr. Vernon". This was not to honor him, but to avoid disputes among the parish founders whom each wanted to name the parish after themselves. The final story is similar to the first and claims that the committee had been arguing over the name while drinking in a store, and in an attempt to preserve his precious whiskey and profits, the host suggested the committee stop a local man with a mule pulling a cart and that they should name the parish whatever the man said. The man answered them "I calls him Vernon, 'cause he's the fastes' mule in de country."[2] Originally the area comprising Vernon was apart of a tract of land that was in dispute between the United States and Spain, this land was called the "Neutral Strip". As a result of this dispute the area became a haven for outlaws. Prior to the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, the only persons who came to the area were a few French and Spanish settlers. It was also during this period that Dr. Burr established the community of Burr Ferry. This community was known as the "Gateway to Louisiana". Also located near this community, there still stands an artillery site (now called the "Confederate Breast Works"), which was manned by the Confederacy to guard against Union movements along the Nolan Trace[3] during the Civil War.[4]

Full article ▸

related documents
Avoyelles Parish, Louisiana
Fredericktown, Ohio
Waterford, Maine
Windham, Maine
Zwolle, Louisiana
Jay, Maine
Dayton, Maine
Lyman, Maine
Georgetown, Maine
Casco, Maine
Minot, Maine
Iowa, Louisiana
New Castle, New Hampshire
Solon, Maine
Buels Gore, Vermont
Canton, Maine
Gray, Maine
Paris, Maine
Acton, Maine
Kittery Point, Maine
Batesville, Indiana
Frankfort, Maine
Accident, Maryland
Sebago, Maine
Culbertson, Montana
Shapleigh, Maine
Cahokia, Illinois
Standish, Maine
Nottoway County, Virginia
Cornish, Maine