Wayne, Illinois

related topics
{area, community, home}
{build, building, house}
{household, population, female}
{day, year, event}
{car, race, vehicle}
{specie, animal, plant}
{land, century, early}
{food, make, wine}
{group, member, jewish}
{church, century, christian}
{@card@, make, design}
{village, small, smallsup}
{work, book, publish}
{county, mile, population}
{township, household, population}
{album, band, music}
{style, bgcolor, rowspan}

Wayne is an affluent village in DuPage and Kane County, Illinois. The eastern portion, in DuPage County, is in Wayne Township while the western portion, in Kane County, is in St. Charles Township. The population was 2,137 at the 2000 census.

In the late 19th and early 20th century, Wayne was a prominent center of horse breeding and farming research. The community was known for breeding French Percheron horses, a draft horse similar to a Clydesdale.

Contents

History

In May 1834, settlers began to move into Wayne Township (believed to be named after Maj. Gen. Anthony Wayne). The first railroad arrived in 1849, and Solomon Dunham arranged for an inn, a general store, and a house to be built east of the Chicago and Northwestern tracks at Army Trail Road, where he became station agent and postmaster for a settlement area named Wayne Station. By 1861, all the land in the township had been settled, with business districts at Wayne Center [1] near present day Fair Oaks Road at Army Trail and Wayne Station, now known as the Village of Wayne.

Three railroads etched their way through Wayne Township by 1888, followed by the electric interurban Chicago Aurora and Elgin Railroad in 1903, which also provided electricity for streetlights.[2]

Wayne was incorporated in 1958. Previously, the community was administered as a private association called the "Wayne Community Association" with voluntary contributions funding Village services including police.

In October, 2007, the historic Chicago and Northwestern railway station was relocated from Dunham Castle to the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad (now Union Pacific) tracks at Army Trail Road. The station was originally at that location, but moved to Dunham Castle during the 1940s or 1950s; the old station was converted to a horse stable. Through grants and contributions from Dunham Castle's owners, the station was moved back to its original location and is currently being restored. This building is locally called "The Depot".

Full article ▸

related documents
Carmel, Indiana
Brookeville, Maryland
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
Roxana, Illinois
Springfield, Virginia
Groveland, Massachusetts
Alamo, California
Brandon, Florida
Bon Air, Virginia
Streamwood, Illinois
Rolling Meadows, Illinois
Lake in the Hills, Illinois
El Dorado Hills, California
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
Buffalo Grove, Illinois
Riverside, Illinois
Magna, Utah
Old Bethpage, New York
Plainview, New York
Ferndale, Michigan
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
Lake St. Louis, Missouri
Palm Desert, California
Hartsdale, New York
Cherry Valley, Illinois
Fountain Valley, California
Cooperstown, New York
Mill Valley, California
Rowland Heights, California
Sea Ranch Lakes, Florida