West Dundee, Illinois

related topics
{household, population, female}
{area, community, home}
{land, century, early}
{build, building, house}
{village, small, smallsup}
{day, year, event}
{line, north, south}
{town, population, incorporate}
{area, part, region}
{government, party, election}
{car, race, vehicle}

West Dundee is a village in Kane County, Illinois, United States. The population was 7,975 as of July 2008.

West Dundee lies across the Fox River from East Dundee and Carpentersville.

Contents

Demographics

West Dundee is located at 42°5′43″N 88°17′9″W / 42.09528°N 88.28583°W / 42.09528; -88.28583 (42.095327, -88.285809)[1].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 2.7 square miles (7.1 km²), of which, 2.7 square miles (6.9 km²) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.2 km²) of it (2.92%) is water.

History

The settlement started in 1835 when Elder John and Nancy Oatman established a tavern and a store. In 1837, a lottery was held among the settlers to determine who would name the town. Alexander Gardiner won and named the town Dundee in honor of his Scottish hometown. In 1843 Scotsman Allan Pinkerton, later the renowned detective, set up business as a cooper. The town was incorporated in 1867, four years before East Dundee.

Mark W. Fletcher laid out the original town of Dundee on the west bank of the Fox River in 1836 with a grid of streets,[2] but was hemmed in from development for years. The river formed a natural eastern barrier. Expansion to the north and west was blocked by the D. Hill Nursery. In the 1950s a segment of the Hill property East of Illinois Route 31 was sold and turned into the Highlands subdivision, which was annexed into West Dundee in 1956. The community also annexed property west of Illinois Route 31 in 1957, Royal Lane in 1960, and the Old World subdivision in 1966. The nursery eventually sold all of its land and moved to McHenry. Plans for the Spring Hill Mall on Hill's land began in 1973 and the project was completed in 1980. The 1,100,000-square-foot (102,000 m2) mall's retail sales boosted West Dundee's economy and created an estimated 1,600 jobs by 1982, but subsequently was eclipsed by larger and newer malls. The mall's owner, General Growth Properties, filed for bankruptcy in 2009.[3] West Dundee then annexed new subdivisions to the west of Spring Hill, but was again hemmed in by Elgin which incorporated land west of Sleepy Hollow Road. The remaining land south of Illinois Route 72 had been separately incorporated as Sleepy Hollow in 1958.

Full article ▸

related documents
Deer Park, New York
White Oak, Maryland
Centereach, New York
Sun City, Menifee, California
Temple Hills, Maryland
Greater Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Iselin, New Jersey
Largo, Maryland
Westvale, New York
North East, Maryland
Hampton, Maryland
St. Leonard, Maryland
Farmingdale, New York
Pineville, North Carolina
Round Hill, Loudoun County, Virginia
Emerald Isle, North Carolina
Fallston, Maryland
Oxford, Connecticut
Fair Plain, Michigan
Hadley, Massachusetts
Woodfin, North Carolina
Bowleys Quarters, Maryland
Portola Hills
Bear, Delaware
Middletown, Rhode Island
Holiday City-Berkeley, New Jersey
East York, Pennsylvania
Sun City, Arizona
Desert Shores, California
Suitland-Silver Hill, Maryland