White House, Tennessee

related topics
{city, population, household}
{area, community, home}
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{land, century, early}
{town, population, incorporate}
{car, race, vehicle}
{album, band, music}
{specie, animal, plant}
{film, series, show}

White House is a city in Robertson and Sumner counties in the U.S. state of Tennessee. The population was 7,220 at the 2000 census. According to the city website a special census was conducted in 2008 that placed the city population at 9,891 residents, with 3,587 households within the city limits. White House is currently experiencing rapid growth in both population and community development. Consequently, it has one of the fastest prospering economies in Tennessee. The town's current mayor is John Decker.

Contents

History

Settlers

The area that is now White House was purchased around 1828 by Richard Stone Wilks, a settler from Virginia. A trail running from Kentucky to Nashville, originally created by buffalo and Native Americans, cut through the area. This trail was originally known as the Louisville & Nashville Turnpike during the mid-19th century. In 1928, the trail was renamed US Highway 31W.

Naming the town

In the mid-19th century, the Carter, Thomas, and Hough Stagecoach Company traveled the L&N Turnpike carrying passengers. A typical stop along the way was a white, two-story house built by Richard Wilks in 1829. The house was a popular stop for lodging, food, and changing out horses. During this time, houses were rarely painted white, particularly in this underdeveloped area. The stage coach drivers began to call this stop and the surrounding area White House.

Growth and development

White House was incorporated in 1971. Currently, the young town is experiencing population growth, economic progress, and community development. The city is located north of Nashville within the greater Nashville region and has already benefited greatly from the suburban expansion of Nashville during the 1990s.

Monument

The monument for which the town was named was torn down in 1951 to make way for new development. However, in 1986, the community erected a replica of the original building. The reproduction, called the White House Inn Library and Museum, currently sits in the center of town next to the Fire Department. It contains the library, a museum with artifacts from the area's early years, and the city's Chamber of Commerce.

Geography

White House is located at 36°27′55″N 86°39′46″W / 36.46528°N 86.66278°W / 36.46528; -86.66278 (36.465208, -86.662896)[3].

Full article ▸

related documents
Keller, Texas
Janesville, Iowa
Troutdale, Oregon
Park Hills, Kentucky
Lincoln, California
Rainier, Oregon
Westwood Hills, Kansas
Olivette, Missouri
Rio Grande City, Texas
Bastrop, Texas
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
Dundas, Minnesota
Mission, Kansas
Baxter, Minnesota
Nocona, Texas
Jersey Village, Texas
Rogers, Arkansas
Roy, Washington
Argyle, Texas
Del City, Oklahoma
Conway, South Carolina
Falcon Heights, Minnesota
Cedar Park, Texas
Irwindale, California
Lincoln City, Oregon
Sand Springs, Oklahoma
Springfield, Oregon
Whiting, Indiana
Marlette, Michigan
Ferris, Texas