Woodbury, Orange County, New York

related topics
{area, community, home}
{household, population, female}
{government, party, election}
{land, century, early}
{town, population, incorporate}
{build, building, house}
{county, mile, population}
{company, market, business}
{mi², represent, 1st}
{law, state, case}
{day, year, event}
{area, part, region}
{car, race, vehicle}
{village, small, smallsup}
{school, student, university}
{water, park, boat}
{style, bgcolor, rowspan}
{language, word, form}
{township, household, population}

Woodbury is a town and a village in Orange County, New York, United States. The town population was 9,460 at the 2000 census.[1] The village incorporated in 2006 and comprises all of the town that is not part of the village of Harriman. The region was once called Woodbury Clove. It is part of the PoughkeepsieNewburghMiddletown, NY Metropolitan Statistical Area as well as the larger New YorkNewarkBridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA Combined Statistical Area.

The Town of Woodbury is in the southeastern part of the county.

Contents

History

The region was once called Woodbury Clove ("valley").

The Town of Woodbury, which comprises the hamlets of Central Valley and Highland Mills; and the area which was formerly known as the hamlet of Woodbury Falls, was officially created on December 19, 1889, by an act of the Orange County Board of Supervisors. The first town meeting was held the following year on March 4 with John A. Patterson presiding as Supervisor. The second Supervisor was James Seaman. Even though the land is no longer used for farming, the Seaman family property can still be identified by a sign which reads “Sweet Clover Farm” along Route 32 on the northern end of town. This is now the home of Palaia Vineyards.

The Town of Woodbury was actually created twice - the first time in 1863 when the Board of Supervisors approved the division of Monroe into the three communities of Monroe, Southfields and Highland. The Highland portion was what would become Woodbury in 1889. Objections to this arose and two years later the Legislature was asked to overrule the Board's decision which it did by recreating the old Town of Monroe. In 1889 the Board of Supervisors reinstated the original separation and the town now known as Woodbury was reborn.

Full article ▸

related documents
Port Chester, New York
Eastgate CDP, Washington
Brookhaven, Pennsylvania
Pahrump, Nevada
Larchmont, New York
Stuarts Draft, Virginia
Nesquehoning, Pennsylvania
New City, New York
Lyle, Washington
Millbourne, Pennsylvania
Sands Point, New York
Whitehall, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
Rockville Centre, New York
Copper Canyon, Texas
Stony Brook, New York
Cashiers, North Carolina
Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
Moosic, Pennsylvania
Surfside Beach, South Carolina
Bailey's Crossroads, Virginia
Hawthorne, New York
Elmont, New York
Dickson City, Pennsylvania
Kings Park, New York
Ottawa Hills, Ohio
Valhalla, New York
Croton-on-Hudson, New York
Sewickley Heights, Pennsylvania
Bronxville, New York
Pimmit Hills, Virginia