Woodruff is a city in Spartanburg County, South Carolina, United States. The population was 4,229 at the 2000 census.
Woodruff is located at 34°44′26″N 82°1′57″W / 34.74056°N 82.0325°W (34.740530, -82.032580).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.7 square miles (9.5 km²), of which, 3.7 square miles (9.5 km²) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.1 km²) of it (0.54%) is water.
The earliest history of this area begins with the membership of "The Church of Christ on Jamey's Creek" dated September 18, 1787. The church was so called as this was the nearest point of designation since "Jamey's Creek" heads of McArthur Street behind the Woodruff State Branch Bank on North Main Street. The creek is now called "Jimmie's Creek".
The early members traveled some distance to attend this church. They were from the communities of Cavins, Enoree, Crescent, Switzer and even others in Laurens County.
Most of the early settlers had come from Virginia and North Carolina. They were primarily veterans of the Revolution and their families.
Joseph Woodruff received a grant of 200 acres (which would later become Woodruff, S.C.). He came to this area from Yadkin River Valley in North Carolina after his service in the Revolution.
The first census of Spartanburg District, in 1790, shows who his neighbors were. All of these people were farmers.
There were a few country stores in those days, and these were supplied by "Wagoner's".
One of Joseph Woodruff's sons, Thomas, remained in this area and had dreamed of founding a town. But, he did not live to see Woodruff incorporated. His two sons, Dr. Charles Pinckney Woodruff and Captain A. B. Woodruff were most instrumental in carrying out their father's wishes. Therefore, the town was named in Thomas Woodruff's honor.
There was no town nor industry until after the town was chartered in 1874. Men from the rural areas came into Woodruff to establish businesses and the town began to grow.
The two Woodruff brothers worked vigorously to get the railroad to run through the town. The railroad was completed in 1885. This caused a rapid growth of business.
The oldest standing home in Woodruff today is located on Main Street. The house was built in the 1830s by Harrison Patillo Woodruff, son of Thomas. "Squire Jim" Westmoreland bought his home in 1874 when he came to Woodruff to establish a mercantile business.
Full article ▸