Sunday April 20, 2014
Frosh Trip Leader Summer Information - 2010 #2
We hope youâ€™re having a fantastic summer! You should have received an e-mail and a letter from us in June with information on the Frosh Trip, arrival dates, and other general info. And get ready for this: we have applications from over 820 frosh and 232 Leaders and we have 95 trips scheduled, officially making FT 2010 the largest Frosh Trip EVER! We have accepted all of these frosh based on your commitment to lead. At this point cancellations are accepted for medical reasons only. Questions? Call us at 609-258-6230.
TRIP ASSIGNMENTS: For those who are leading a trip that requires you to come back to campus early for training (Biking, Canoeing, Climbing, Outdoor Adventure, Sustainable Farming or the Sustainable Food Packing crew) you have received notification on the type of trip you will be leading and the corresponding early arrival date. Youâ€™ll be staying in comingled housing with other OA Leaders until Tuesday, August 31 when youâ€™ll be able to move into your regular dorm room. Weâ€™ll send you your shared housing assignments and information on getting your room key in early August. All other leaders will find out your specific assignment when you check-in at Dillon Gym on Tuesday, August 31 at 5:00 PM. If you have any changes in your health/fitness condition during the summer, please update your Leader Application at https://oa2.princeton.edu/applications/ft/leaders/summer.aspx
- Backpacking Equipment List â€“ http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/ft/equipment/equipment.shtml
- Biking Equipment List â€“ http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/ft/equipment/equipmentbike.shtml
- All-Canoeing Equipment List â€“ http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/ft/equipment/equipmentcanoe.shtml
- Sustainable Farming Equipment List â€“ http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/ft/equipment/equipmentfarm.shtml
- Base Camp & Outdoor Adventure List â€“ http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/ft/equipment/equipmentoutdooradventure.shtml
EQUIPMENT DISCOUNT: Please review the online equipment list carefully. If you need to purchase clothing or equipment for the trip, weâ€™ve set up a special discount for with Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS). The discount applies only to purchases made online at the EMS website (www.ems.com), and is effective from July 15 to August 30, 2010. The discount entitles you to a 15 percent discount on anything available online and a special 30 percent discount on particular items that weâ€™ve identified. These items are listed on the online Equipment List. Get your discount coupon code and see the list of specified 30 percent discount items by logging into the Frosh Trip Equipment Web page at https://oa2.princeton.edu/applications/ft/leaders/summer.aspx.
Remember that the Marmot and Mountain Hardwear Equipment Discounts are also still available (leaders only). You can get to these at the OA GearStore â€“ https://oa2.princeton.edu/gearstore
ARRIVAL: Check-in is at Dillon Gym is at 5:00 PM on Tuesday, August 31 for ALL LEADERS. Only those leaders who are on the official list for early training (listed above) will be allowed in before August 31. If you canâ€™t arrive by 5:00 PM on August 31, you must make prior arrangements with us ASAP, either by e-mailing email@example.com or calling us at 609-258-6230.
ADVANCE TEAM: We love Advance Team!! Because of the arrival date for move-in this year Advance Team will be arriving on September 1st like most leaders. We need people who can come to campus by Tuesday morning to help with last minute packing. If you can help out with Advance Team, plan to return in the early morning to move into your room. Meet on the main court in Dillon Gym at 11:00 AM on Tuesday, August 31 for your Advance Team assignment. The more the merrier!
ROOM KEYS: The Housing Office in Macmillan will be open from 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM on Tuesday, August 31 for you to pick up your room keys. Please arrive during the day so get your room key. If you arrive after Housing has closed on you should call Public Safety. If youâ€™re coming back early for special training, weâ€™ll send you details about your housing arrangements in August.
STORAGE: You should bring with you everything youâ€™ll need for Frosh Trip. Donot ship items you will need via UPS or other shipping companies, since they donâ€™t begin dorm delivery until after Frosh Trip. If you stored items at the end of the school that you will need for FT in the Early Arrivals Storage area in Gauss youâ€™ll be able to get in on Tuesday, August 31.
PRE-TRIP SCHEDULE: The days leading up to frosh trip are incredibly busy! Weâ€™re still planning the pre-trip schedule, but we can tell you now you can look forward to shorter days and fun evening activities! That said, weâ€™d also like to (very gently) remind you that ALL leaders are required to attend all of the pre-trip workshops and refreshers. No exceptions, no excuses. IF YOU ARENâ€™T WILLING TO ATTEND, THEN YOU SHOULD NOT BE LEADING.
CPR CERTIFICATION: Another reminder that if your CPR certification is expired or will expire by September 5 you must renew your CPR certification this summer. We strongly urge you to recertify your CPR at home this summer. For those who are unable to do so, we will have a CPR course on Tuesday, August 31 from 1:00 to 4:00 PM in Frist 307. Space is limited. Sign up now at the Tripstore.
RELIGIOUS SERVICES: For details see www.princeton.edu/~oa/ft/frosh/religiousservices.shtml
- Non-Denominational Service: A Celebration of Nature and Spirituality: The Office of the Dean of Religious Life will be offering a non-denominational service in the University Chapel on Saturday, September 4 from 5:00 - 5:30 PM. People of all religious traditions are welcome. The Celebration of Nature and Spirituality service will be led by Outdoor Action Leaders and Rev. Paul B. Raushenbush, Associate Dean of the Chapel and Religious Life.
- General Services: The Princeton University Chapel will be open on Sunday, September 5, starting at 6:00 a.m. for students who wish to worship before departing on the trip.
- Catholic Services: There will be a Catholic Mass on Saturday, September 4, at 7:00 p.m. at the Aquinas House on the corner of Library and Stockton Streets, within easy walking distance of campus. For more information and directions to Aquinas House see www.princeton.edu/~aquinas.
- Jewish Services: On Friday, September 3, there will be an Orthodox Maâ€™ariv (evening service) at 7:15 p.m. On Saturday, September 4, Orthodox Shacharit (morning service) will be at 9:15 a.m., Mincha (afternoon service) at 6:55 p.m. and Maâ€™ariv (evening service) at 8:14 p.m. On Friday, September 10 Mincha/Maariv services at 6:30 p.m. All services will be held at the Center for Jewish Life, 71 Washington Road. For additional information, visit www.princetonhillel.org. Students interested in participating in Shabbat meals on Friday, September 4, and Saturday, September 5, should contact Marnie Blitz, Assistant Director of the CJL at 609-258-3635, or firstname.lastname@example.org. If you indicated that you wished to return for Sabbath observance, you will be placed on a trip close to Princeton so that you return before sundown on Friday, September 10. Your return time will typically be 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Muslim Services: Iftar will be available on the evening of Saturday, September 4, and those observing Ramadan will be placed in low-activity base camp trips during the trip. For more information see www.princeton.edu/~msa/index.html.
- Other Services: For information regarding other churches and houses of worship in the local Princeton area, visit: http://web.princeton.edu/sites/chapel/houses_of_worship.htm.
We look forward to seeing you in September! Get ready to GO BANANAS!!!Â Â Â Â Â
Ashley Dunning â€™11 (adunning) Thomas Lowenthal â€™11 (tlowenth)
Thomas Maltbaek â€™11 (Maltbaek) Anthony Salerno â€™12 (asalerno)
Frosh Trip Coordinators
Allie Kolaski 13 (akolaski)
Rick Curtis, Director
Jennifer Bornkamp, Administrative Assistant