Saturday March 15, 2014
Frequently Asked Questions
When do I have to complete everything?
You can take the various components of training at different times during the year with the exception of the Leader Training 6-day which must be taken after you have completed all of the other requirements.
Is Financial Aid Available?
If you are receiving need-based financial aid from the University Outdoor Action has some funds available to help support students who wish to become OA Leaders. Levels of aid are based on the amount of aid that you are receiving from the University. Login to the TripStore and add the Financial Aid Request Trip to your cart. We then confirm the amount of financial aid you are receiving from the University with the Office of Financial Aid in order to calculate the amount of aid you are eligible for. Because we send requests in to the Office of Financial Aid only a few times each semester there may be a wait time to find out about your eligibility.
- If you are in the University's High Need category: OA provides a grant of 75% of the cost of Leader Training. You pay 25%.
- If you are in the University's Medium Need category: OA provides a grant of 50% of the cost of Leader Training. You pay 50%.
- If you are in the University's Low Need category: OA provides a grant of 25% of the cost of Leader Training. You pay 75%.
- If you are not receiving any need-based financial aid from the University you pay 100%.
The grants for Leader Training come from the generous support of the Kevin Callaghan '83 Fund an endowed fund to support Outdoor Action activities and Outdoor Action general funds. Because students often complete Leader Training over an extended period of time, students will be reimbursed for the appropriate grant amount after they have completed all of the Leader Training requirements. This means that you will initially be billed the full amount and be credited at the completion of your training.
What if I miss one of the workshops?
You are required to complete all of the OA Trainings to become an OA Leader. Attendance it taken at all classes. Here is the breakdown by specific training:
- HEART Wilderness First Aid - You are required to attend all classes. In many cases there are two sections meeting at the same time but on different days (Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday) so if you have a conflict for a particular class you can go to the corresponding class in the other section that same week. Attendance is taken at all classes.
- CPR - this is typically taught in one evening. You need to complete and pass the course to be certified or have other current CPR certification.
- Facilitator's Workshop and Leadership & Group Dynamics Workshops - These are offered twice a year. If you miss one of these in the fall, you will still be eligible to go on a Leader Training Trip over Intersession but you will have to make up the workshop in the spring. If you miss one of these in the spring you will still be eligible to go on a Leader Training Trip over Dead Week, however you will not be considered a full OA Leader until you have completed all of the requirements and would only be eligible to lead with two other OA Leaders if we have sufficient need for leaders. In the event that we have more leader applications than we have spaces for leaders, which frequently happens, students who have not completed all aspects of leader training would not be eligible. Attendance is taken at all classes.
- Leader Training Classes - You are required to attend all classes.There are multiple sections meeting at the same time but on different days (Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday) so if you have a conflict for a particular class you can go to the corresponding class in the other section that same week. Attendance is taken at all classes.
- Leader Training Trip - You must complete the Leader Training Trip.