June 6, 2001 Memorials

Louis Otten '28

Louis Otten, former vice president of '28, died Dec. 20, 2000, from congestive heart failure.

Louis grew up in Memphis, where at age 16 he was valedictorian of his graduating class at Memphis Central H.S. He later graduated with honors in political science from Princeton and was admitted to the Tennessee bar after his second year at law school. After completing his Harvard law degree in 1931, he embarked on a distinguished legal and judicial career, including many years at Weil, Gotshal and Manges in NYC. He was named a judge in the Family Court of the city and state of New York in 1963 by Mayor Robert Wagner and was subsequently reappointed by Mayor John V. Lindsay, serving until mandatory retirement age in 1977. He then served as hearing officer for the New York State Commission on Judicial Conduct and as director on many boards, including those of the Jewish Child Care Assn., the New York Guild for the Blind, Visions, Playschools and Green Chimneys Children's Services.

He is survived by his son, Michael '63, daughter Lois Robbins, son-in-law Michael Robbins '55, daughter-in-law Evelyne Otten, four granddaughters, two grandsons, and seven great-grandchildren.

The class extends sympathy to this great Princeton family.

The Class of 1928


Jack was born in Olean, N.Y., on May 26, 1908, spent a large portion of his life in Pasadena, Calif., and died there on Feb. 21, 2001, at the age of 92. Between these two dates, he prepped at Lawrenceville and then entered Princeton, leaving before graduation. Shortly thereafter, he went to work for the Bank of America as an operations officer followed by a position as a broker for the LA firm of Blyth & Co.

From May 1942 to Oct. 1945, Jack served in the supply branch of the Army in the South Pacific and held the rank of staff sergeant at the time of his discharge from active duty.

He served a three-year term as treasurer of the Princeton Club of Southern California. But most of is life's work was devoted to the charitable trust established by his father and his own philanthropic interests, many of them in Pasadena, including Pasadena Presbyterian Church, Huntington Memorial Hospital, Westridge School, Pacific Oaks College, Occidental College, and other outside interests such as the Lawrenceville School.

Surviving are his wife, Elizabeth Edmundson Herrick, one sister, Virginia H. Deknatel, and his nephews. The class extends its deepest sympathy to the entire family.

The Class of 1931


Born Oct. 10, 1908, "Horse" Jackson lived in Napa, Calif., for 30 odd years before finally moving to Port Jefferson, N.Y., where on Feb. 5, 2000, he died.

He prepared at the Taft School and at Princeton was a member of Cannon Club. Horse left Princeton in June 1929 and went to work for the Jones Silk Throwing Co. in Paterson, N.J., where he remained until WWI intervened. He spent three and a half years in the Army Air Force as a technical supply officer in the Pacific and held the rank of captain when he left the service.

He returned to Napa, where he became a stockbroker. An interesting sidelight of his career was his participation in the 100-Mile Ride for two years. This ride, commemorating the Pony Express Riders, goes from Lake Tahoe to Auburn and is done by horseback over a 24-hour period (he and his horse enjoyed it).

He is survived by one daughter, Sally B., and two grandsons. He also had a son who was born in Dec. 1946 and lived only a month. The class extends its deepest sympathy to the entire family.

The Class of 1931


Bill Pressly was born July 24, 1908, in Louisville, Ga., and lived there and in Chester, S.C., before finally moving to Atlanta, where he died Mar. 3, 2001, at the age of 92. In 1927 he entered Erskin College and remained there until he entered Princeton as a junior. After graduation, with his sights set on a career in education, he became a teacher at the McCallie School in Chattanooga, all the while nursing his lifelong ambition. He resigned as McCallie's coheadmaster in 1951 (but remained on as a trustee) to found Westminster schools in Atlanta.

Along the way, Bill earned a master's from Harvard, an honorary doctorate of literature from Washington & Lee, and became a member of the Headmasters Assn. and a representative to the College Entrance Examination Board. Chair of the President's Commission on Presidential Scholars, Bill also received a degree in 1978 from Hangyang U. in Seoul, Korea.

Surviving are his wife, Alice Fletcher McCallie, two sons, Paul '64 and Bill '66 (both Phi Beta Kappa with later honors from both Oxford and Harvard), and one grandson. The class extends its deepest sympathy to the entire family.

The Class of 1931

James O'Malley Jr. '32

Jim died Dec. 20, 2000. He was a member of Cloister Inn, and in his senior year he was editorial editor of the Daily Princetonian. After graduating from Harvard law school, Jim served under NYC District Attorney Thomas E. Dewey as a deputy assistant DA. During WWII he was a lieutenant-commander in the Naval Reserve with the Office of Naval Intelligence in Washington and had dual assignments with the Army-Navy War Crimes Office and the Office of Strategic Services. Following the war, Jim joined the New York firm of LeBoeuf, Lamb, Leiby & MacRae, where he remained until he retired as a senior partner in 1980. A renowned public utility lawyer, he also led the firm's Interstate Commerce Commission practice. From 1953-55, Jim was a special assistant to U.S. Attorney General Herbert Brownell in connection with selective service hearings. From 1957-59, he served as counsel to Gov. Avereill Harriman's advisory council on atomic energy.

Jim is survived by his two children, Anne and Malcolm. (His wife, Marcella, died in 1996) The class sends its condolences.

The Class of 1932

Rolland Ezra Stevens Jr. '33

Steve died Feb. 25, 2001, of cancer. He was 90. Steve was born in Joliet, Ill., and graduated from Lawrenceville School in 1929. At Princeton he was on the Daily Princetonian, the 150-lb. crew, and in the Triangle Club. Steve worked for Pan American Airways for 30 years and retired to Columbus 30 years ago. He was a member of the Upper Arlington Lutheran Church. Steve enjoyed making reproductions of antique furniture. He is survived by his wife of 63 years, Helen, daughters Peg Beeson and Susan Dicke, son James, 12 grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren. Steve will be greatly missed by his family and friends.

The Class of 1933

John Stanley Bell '39

After a year of illness, John died of a massive stroke on Feb. 13, 2001, in Milwaukee, where he had lived all his life. After service in the Navy, he joined with his brother in 1946 to form Bell Steel Sales, of which he was president until 1990, when it was sold to Crucible of Syracuse. Highly successful as he was in business, he will also be remembered for his many years of public service, major fundraising, his keen wit and scholarship, irresistible sense of humor, and his great love of golf. The showmanship we saw in his Triangle days carried over to his support of theater groups, one of which became the Milwaukee Repertory Theater. In a eulogy, his son John said, "Inside this sophisticated guy was a hoofer who knew the vital importance of a good laugh and how to get one." Exactly. That's why we asked him to be the MC of our 50th reunion dinner show.

We offer our sincere sympathy to John's wife, Joan, daughters Anne and Rosemary, son John, and one grandchild. With them we treasure memories of a unique and delightful man.

The Class of 1939

George Burnham Calkins jr. '39

Burnie died at a hospital near his home in Bethesda, Md., on Feb. 16, 2001, following a stroke. A mechanical engineer, he exercised his skills as an engineer officer on naval vessels during WWII, at the research labs of Socony-Vacuum Oil Co., at the engineering division of Chrysler Corp., and finally in his last job at Survival Technology, Inc., designing small medical devices until he retired in May 1986.

Endlessly enthusiastic, Burnie all his life pursued interests both intellectual and recreational. Given a start by Asher Hinds and Roy Welch at Princeton, his love for literature (particularly poetry) and music added richness to his life. And this he gleefully balanced with his love of old cars (his 1934 Lagonda was entered in the 1935 Le Mans race) until he fell under the spell of sailboats. He sailed extensively throughout the Chesapeake Bay and was past commodore of the Rhode River Boat Club.

Burnie's marriage to Lena Owens ended in divorce. He is survived by his son, Anthony, his sister, and three grandchildren. Like them, we will miss our high-spirited friend, and we offer them our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939

William Cleever D'Arcy Jr. '39

Bill died Dec. 30, 2000. For many years he and his wife, June, had divided their time between their home in Rochester, Minn., and at least four winter months in Hobe Sound, Fla. Aside from a stint in the Air Force with duty in Brazil, from which he emerged as a captain, Bill's entire career was in sales and merchandising. After college he went to work in sales promotion for Coca-Cola, was appointed division manager in St. Louis in 1948, and moved into advertising in 1953. He resigned in 1956 to form his own advertising company, which eventually became Merchandising Displays, Inc., based in St. Louis.

When Bill last wrote to us he said that, outside of work, he enjoyed time to read and learn, to play golf with friends, and to give time to civic and community activities. He was president of Hobe Sound Community Chest for 20 years and vice chair of Jupiter Medical Center for 10 years. As for his golf, he was still able to play, but his handicap kept going the wrong way.

We offer our heartfelt sympathy to June as we join her in farewell to our old friend.

The Class of 1939

Nelson Pierce James '39

Nels died Nov. 5, 2000, in Kirkwood, N.Y. For many years he had been the owner of his own travel bureau serving the area in and around Binghamton, N.Y. And in his retirement years, he frequently acted as consultant to Metro Travel, a business founded and owned by his wife, June. Nels left Princeton in 1938, served in the Air Transport Command during WWII, and worked as sales representative for Bendix Aviation, Leonard Electronic Supply, and finally as vice president of Tri- Cities Oil in Binghamton before starting his own travel business. He wrote that he regretted not finishing with our class and losing contact with Princeton friends. He did act as treasurer of the Alumni Assn. of the Southern Tier for several years.

June James died barely a month after Nels. They are survived by their daughter, Jessica, three daughters from earlier marriages, Susan, Margaret, and Lee Ann, and a son, Peter. We offer them our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939

Louis Petito '39

Lou died Jan. 26, 2001, at a health care center in St. Petersburg, Fla., near his home in North Redington Beach, where he and Estelle, his wife of 51 years, had lived since he retired in 1980. An economics major, he also attended the Wharton School. Lou was a certified public accountant in Maryland and Ohio and for 26 years was controller of Denison U. in Granville, Ohio.

His career began as a research assistant with the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics until he joined the Army Air Force in 1942, serving three years. On discharge he switched to statistics with Peat Marwick for seven years before taking up his post at Denison. He was proud to have been one of the organizers of the Pilgrim Lutheran Church in Granville.

Always a family man, Lou was a devoted husband, father, and grandfather. He is survived by Estelle and their two daughters and two sons as well as four grandchildren. We extend to them our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939

Paul Raymond Teetor '40

Paul died Aug. 21, 2000.

Coming from Vermont, Paul's school was Troy Conference Academy. With his bachelor's as an economics major, he entered Columbia law school, a long-held goal cut short by his joining the Army Air Corps. He shared the legend of "Lucky Teetor." With his B-17 on fire, shot down over Germany, he jumped and was taken prisoner by a farmer. Stalagluft One held officers, and accordingly treatment over 15 months was not harsh. His service record was unexpectedly expanded with the Korean War. He commanded a front-line field artillery battery, yet was safely returned.

Paul earned his law degree at Columbia and an LLM from the U. of California. His Vermont career included organizing United World Federalists and his election to public office as a state's attorney. He was an antitrust lawyer with the Federal Trade Commission, becoming an administrative law judge. His Matter of Hours (Associated University Press) is the work of an ardent historian who also assembled a fine library and pursued genealogy. He enjoyed Lake Champlain with his family. Sadly, his lifetime good health ended with twin afflictions, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

He married Katherine Schindler in 1946. She survives along with daughter Kathe Bowen, son Paul Robert, and six grandchildren

The Class of 1940

Rudolph Edward Schirmer '41

Rudy died Nov. 19, 2000. A member of Terrace Club, he left Princeton at the end of his sophomore year to attend the Curtis Institute of Music, in Philadelphia, and studied composition under Rosario Scalero.

During WWII he was in military intelligence (Field Interrogation Unit). His business career was with the family business, G. Schirmer, Inc. He retired as chair of the board.

He continued his love of music, composing numerous works including "Hymn to the Americas" for solo voice, chorus and orchestra performed by the Washington Symphony and the Pan American Music Festival in 1968.

A talented poet and writer, he was published in various journals, but his outstanding poem, Stanzas in the Valley of the Fallen, was presented officially to the Spanish government in 1967 and is now engraved on a bronze plaque at the Patrimonio Nacional in the royal palace in Madrid.

Also the author of several books, he had a full and distinguished career.

Rudy is survived by his wife, Raffaela Mormino Schirmer, and a daughter, Liane S. James, as well as one grandchild.

The Class of 1941


Bill died Dec. 29, 2000, in Charlottesville, Va., his home since 1992, having moved there from Oradell and Hackensack, N.J., where he had lived during his career in orthopedics.

Coming to Princeton from Episcopal H.S. in Alexandria, Va., Bill majored in biology, with departmental honors, and was a member of Sigma Xi and Elm Club. He then attended the U. of Virginia medical school, graduating in 1945. He served in the Army Medical Corps during WWII, with the rank of captain.

Following the war as an orthopedic surgeon, Bill was associate director of orthopedics at Hackensack Medical Center. To his wife of 55 years, Frances; to his three sons, William III, Robert, and John '79; and to 12 grandchildren, the class extends its sincere condolences.

The Class of 1942


Steve Palmer died May 3, 2000, after a heart attack at his Virginia home. Steve entered Princeton from Lockport H.S. in New York and joined Cloister Inn. He received a degree from the School of Public & International Affairs in 1944, then served as a Marine Corps officer in Hawaii. Steve married the former Nancy Swan in 1947, then received a master's degree in international affairs from Columbia in 1948. He joined the Foreign Service in 1951. Steve was posted to duties in Yugoslavia, Pakistan, and Israel, receiving the State Department's Superior Service Award. He was then posted to London under fellow Princetonian, Ambassador Bruce. Subsequently, Steve was a fellow at the Center for Intl. Affairs, Harvard U. During the 1980s he served in the State Department's Bureau of Humanitarian Affairs and was for a time acting assistant Secretary of State. On retirement in 1988, Steve was awarded the Rogers Award for career achievement.

Steve then served on a State Department editorial team reviewing reports on human rights practices throughout the world. Steve was devoted to work in the field of human rights.

Steve is survived by his widow, the former Pat Simmons Lee, whom he married in 1989, and by his daughters, Katherine and Susan, to whom the class expresses its sympathy.

The Class of 1945

Williams Manning '46

Bill died Feb. 5, 2001, at his longtime hometown, Macon, Ga. Coming to Princeton from Baylor School in 1942, he began in engineering but left for the Navy Air Force in June 1943. After service as pilot ensign until 1946, he opted to attend North Carolina State in Raleigh in the textile school. Married to Belle Smith in 1946, he joined Deering Milliken Textiles in Greensboro and later Burlington Industries, there as vice president. In 1970 he became president and chair of the Bibb Manufacturing Co. in Macon. He retired in 1985. He served as president of the Georgia Textile Manufacturers Assn. and on the board of the Natl. Assn. of Manufacturers.

Bill enjoyed varsity football at NC State. He was an active church member. He was predeceased by his first wife and is survived by his wife, Beverly, his children, William and Barbara "Bear", a sister, Virginia Moses, three stepchildren, and several grandchildren. The class extends sympathy to them all.

The Class of 1946


Jacques Wells died Sept. 6, 2000, after having been diagnosed with colon cancer in July. He was born in Garretsville, Ohio, in 1925.

He received his AB degree from Princeton, majoring in biology, and in 1949 his MD from Columbia U. (P&S). Jacques served fellowships in metabolism at Cincinnati U. and in research with the American Heart Assn. In 1955 he began a kidney dialysis center, gaining experience in renal biopsy work. He later joined the Euclid Clinic in Cleveland, where he served as medical director and on the board of trustees. He was board-certified in internal medicine.

Jacques was an accomplished pianist and devoted hours each day to practice. He had many friends in the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra. Words written to him by a friend summed up Jacques's life: "You have touched many lives with your gentle spirit and kind heart. You have lived life so softly and allowed others to appreciate so much joy and beauty."

Jacques and his wife, Renee, had been married 49 years when she died from cancer in 1998. The couple had no children. To any surviving family members, the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1947

Donald Graham Ewing '48

Don Ewing, who had been in failing health, died Feb. 27, 2000, at Kennebunkport, Maine, where he and Barbara had moved in 1991 in fulfillment of their lifelong dream. Barbara died in Jan. 1997. She was his joy and reason for living.

A native of Montclair, N.J., Don attended Montclair H.S. and came to Princeton in 1944, graduating in 1949. He was in the Navy from 1945-46. He majored in biology and was in Colonial.

Don started his business career with Cone Mills as a merchandise manager. He created and promoted new fabrics for sportswear. After a crippling heart attack, he resigned from the textile industry. In due course, he received teaching certification for science and worked with neurologically impaired and emotionally disturbed children.

On retiring to Maine, Don and Barbara operated their tree farm. He was active in civic affairs. He was an amateur naturalist and an avid birder. He had a lifelong interest in music and played the organ daily.

To his daughter, Sally Abbott, and son Robert, the class extends its profound condolences.

The Class of 1948

Charles Robert Nielsen '48

Bob Nielsen died Mar. 2, 2000, at Hartsville, S.C., to which he and Ruth had retired in 1994.

Widely known as "Father Bob," Bob's career was as a parish priest of the Episcopal church and as an educator. He and Ruth served parishes in Stamford, Conn., and Cockeysville, Md. They were associated with Episcopal schools in Lake Forest, Ill., Lafayette, La., and Jacksonville, Fla.

Retirement in Hartsville was interrupted by a call to be interim headmaster at All Saints Episcopal School, an assignment which lasted three years. At the same time he was the founding headmaster of Trinity Collegiate School, a high quality college preparatory school, and served as supply rector at several Episcopal churches in the area.

A native of Ridgewood, N.J., Bob was a graduate of Kent School. At Princeton he was active in the Student Christian Assn., was a member of Cap and Gown, and earned highest honors in English. He went on to the Virginia Theological Seminary and later received his master's in English and education at the U. of Wisconsin, Madison.

Bob is survived by his widow, Ruth, and sons Paul, Charles, and John. To them the class extends its condolences and remembers a loyal Princetonian who considered his undergraduate years a highlight of his life.

The Class of 1948

William Samuel Costen '50

Bill died of a heart attack on Jan. 13, 2001, at his home in Chesterfield, Mo. A native of St. Louis, he entered Princeton from the John Burroughs School and returned to Washington [Mo.] U. school of medicine to complete his medical degree in 1954.

Two years in the Medical Corps with the 101st Airborne developed his interest in orthopedic surgery, which became his lifetime pursuit. He was one of the first doctors in the St. Louis area to use arthroscopy. Hunting for ducks and geese, and fishing provided relaxation from his work at St. Luke's Hospital, from which he retired in 1998 after almost 40 years. He was a member of the Intl. Assn. of Arthroscopy and the Southern Medical Assn. and served on the staffs of several St. Louis hospitals.

"Doc Bill" volunteered as doctor for the John Burroughs football team for 10 years. He established the Tom Costen Scholarship there for his son, a Navy lieutenant who was shot down during the Gulf War.

Bill is survived by his wife, Karla, daughter Catherine Swope, son Clark, two stepdaughters, two sisters, two grandchildren, and four step-grandchildren. To his family the class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1950

Ronald l. Marsching '50

Ron died at his home in Woodbury, Conn., on Feb. 7, 2001. Born Mar. 30,1927, in NYC the son of Robert '08, Ron served in the Merchant Marine before coming to Princeton. He was a member of Cloister Inn and the Pre-Law Society, graduating from the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and Intl. Affairs. After graduation from Harvard law school in 1953, he served briefly advising on legal matters with the Army before commencing corporate law practice in NYC with the well- known firm of White and Case. The major portion of his professional life, however, was spent as general counsel and secretary of US Time Corp. (later Timex, Inc.), from which he retired as vice chair in 1996.

Ron is survived by his wife, the former Marjory Duncan, two daughters, Christine Kennedy and Jane Marsching, and a grandson, Benjamin Kennedy, to all of whom the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1950

Robert Lewis Smith '50

Bob died of cancer on Mar. 4, 2001, at his home in Newton Square, Pa. A history major at Princetown, he earned his LLB at the U. of Virginia school of law, using his law training in the Marine Corps after receiving his commission. He retired in 1987 from a 35-year practice of law which included a series of officer and administrative positions in the Philadelphia area.

A varsity athlete at Princeton, Bob's lifelong passion was tennis. He was a senior competitor, ranked as high as top 10 in singles and doubles. He was active in area tennis programs, chaired many US Tennis Assn. committees, and represented tennis for four years on the US Olympic Committee. In 1997 he was elected to the US Lawn Tennis/Middle States Tennis Hall of Fame.

Bob enthusiastically volunteered for Princeton and our class. He chaired our 25th Reunion, served as class president from 1980-85, and left a unique legacy by founding our mini-reunion tradition.

Bob is survived by his wife, Karen, son Grove, daughter Shelley White, and three grandsons. The class will miss one of its leaders and extends its sympathy to his family.

The Class of 1950

George Alfred Chandler '51

George suffered from Parkinson's for many years and died Mar. 6, 2001. He came to Princeton from Bay Village [Ohio] H.S. At Old Nassau he excelled in many areas: economics major, Cleveland Club, class governing council, senior class steering committee, and Cannon Club.

George became an immortal Tiger on the football field. He was a ferocious quarterback (blocking back) on coach Caldwell's single wing for four years and was captain senior year. The team was nationally ranked in 1950. George was co-awarded the Poe Trophy and is immortalized on a plaque in Princeton Stadium.

George earned a master's in business administration from Harvard and was a captain in the 82nd Airborne Division during the Korean War.

George had been a longtime friend of George Steinbrenner, chair of American Ship Building Co. Our George, after 20 years with Olin Corp., joined the other George as president and chief executive of American Ship Building in Tampa.

Our George and his wife, Sally, then moved to Wisconsin, where he became chair and president for four years of Aqua Chem Corp.

The Chandlers lived in Princeton for 10 years, and Sally still does. George is also survived by sons Jay and David, daughters Nancy and Betsy, and 11 grandchildren. The class deeply mourns the passing of a classmate who was truly sui generis.

The Class of 1951


Bill died Mar. 5 of heart disease. He came to Princeton from Deerfield Academy. With us he was a member of SPIA, graduating from the Woodrow Wilson School, was business manager of the Nassau Sovereign, a member of Cottage Club, and was on the crew four years.

He was wounded as a Marine platoon commander in Korea and was awarded the Purple Heart with two battle stars. Bill's career thereafter was multiple. Beginning with his family's Massachusetts newspapers, he was successively a trainee with the Hartford Courant, a reporter on the Holyoke Transcript Telegram, associate publisher, and editor and publisher.

Following his newspaper career, Bill owned and operated a Holyoke restaurant. He was also involved in Massachusetts politics as an aide to Republican Congressman Silvio Conte. Later he was an economic adviser to Congressman John W. Oliver and a tutor at Holyoke Community College to students in grammar and writing.

Bill was president of the Holyoke Chamber of Commerce, vice president of the Mount Tom Council of Boy Scouts, and was on the board of the Visiting Nurses Assn. of the Pioneer Valley.

Bill is survived by his wife, Julie, four children from his first marriage, brother Don '53, a sister, and six grandchildren. The class sends its deep sympathy to them all.

The Class of 1951


Andy died Jan. 13, 2001, in Beverly, Mass., where he and his family had gathered to celebrate his nephew's wedding.

Andy came to Princeton from Juniata Joint H.S. in Mifflintown, Pa. At Princeton he majored in economics and was a member of the band, Pre-Law Society, and Campus Club.

Andy's career began in Chicago with Blunt, Ellis & Simmons, and he became CEO and president of the Illinois Co. from 1984-89. Since then he was with First Union Securities. He served on the eighth District Committee and arbitration boards of the Natl. Assn. of Securities Dealers.

Andy dedicated himself to family, friends, community, outdoor recreation, and the arts. He was the Presbyterian Church of Western Springs's only four term elder, a teacher, adviser, and mentor to youth. He was a village trustee from 1965-68 and was active in the Theatre of Western Springs.

Andy loved the outdoors: hiking, tennis, cross country skiing, canoeing, etc. He loved music and played piano, banjo, flute, and piccolo.

He is survived by Jill, his wife, daughters Alison, Susan, and Katherine, brother John, and a cloud of other familial witnesses. The class will miss him.

The Class of 1951


Clayt died Nov. 14, 2000, from complications from surgery the previous May. At Princeton he majored in history, was a member of Tiger Inn, a manager of the Student Banner Agency, and was on the lacrosse team.

Clayt joined the Marines after graduation and was commissioned second lieutenant in the Marine Corps Reserve. He became a battalion executive officer for the Navy Sixth Fleet Marine Force with a tour of duty in the Mediterranean. He left the service with the rank of captain.

His career was in investments, first with Natl. City Bank in NYC, then with Dean Witter & Co. in San Francisco. He ended his career as vice president with Capital Group Corp. in LA. He retired to Laguna Beach, then moved to Larkspur, Calif., in Mar. 2000 to be closer to his children and grandchildren.

Clayt was a devoted lover of history, a scrupulous scholar of the Civil War, and an obdurate yet resigned Red Sox fan. He had three loves in his life: his children and grandchildren, Princeton, and the Marine Corps.

Clayt is survived by his sons, Michael, Hank, Chris, and Kevin, and by daughters Joanne, Trina, Laurie, Meghan, and Deidre. The class sends its deep condolences.

The Class of 1951

Michael Anthony Orlando '53

Mike, who died of cancer Dec. 26, 2000, had deep roots in Camden County, N.J., where he was born and died. He had lived in the town of Westmont for 40 years. Entering Princeton with the large Lawrenceville contingent, Mike majored in history, was in Whig-Clio, and belonged to the Intl. Relations Club. During his four years, he roomed with John Arrington, Bill Cassin, and George Clifton and was a member of Cannon. At graduation Mike received his lieutenant's commission and completed his artillery training at Ft. Sill, in Oklahoma, in the fall of 1953.

He married June Hall on Nov. 25 of that year and shortly was sent to Korea. He made the best of a bad situation there and was given a Meritorious Service commendation in "the forgotten army which was in the forgotten war." After discharge he got his law degree from Penn. He was a dedicated Catholic, an able attorney, volunteered for kindred professional associations, and was a member of the Tavistock Country Club and Links Golf Club.

Profound sympathy to June, sons Michael A. Jr., Samuel W., and Andrew M., daughters Denise Orlando and Danielle Vondran, three grandchildren, and a sister. We who glumly trudged down to the armory at Princeton for bleak 7:40 a.m. military science classes with Mike won't forget his enthusiasm and quick wit. He brightened our day.

The Class of 1953


Vic, who typified a classmate in Princeton's service, died Jan. 19, 2001, of pneumonia at the Princeton Medical Center after having been a member of the university's department of religion for 30 years before retiring in 1995. He served as master of the Graduate College from 1985-90. An ordained priest in the Episcopal Diocese of New Jersey, Vic did parish work for three years and was a priest associate at All Saints Church in Princeton for over 20 years. He was a fellow of the Oratory of the Good Shepherd. A Philadelphia native but raised in Merchantville, Vic lived in Princeton.

Entering from Moorestown [N.J.] H.S., Vic majored in history, was secretary of the St. Paul's Society, and was active in Whig Clio. He was a director of Perspective magazine and was vice president of Court Club. He received his theology diploma from Keble College, Oxford U., England in 1954 and a bachelor's in sacred theology from General Theological Seminary [N.Y.] in 1956. In 1965 he obtained his doctorate in religion from Princeton.

Vic was a lifelong bachelor. We lift up in prayer and extend our heartfelt condolences to his brother and sister-in-law, Robert and Anne Preller, a nephew, Victor II, and his wife, Gabrielle, and two grandnieces.

The Class of 1953

Donald Danforth jr. '54

The class officers were saddened to learn that Donald died on Mar. 30, 2001, at his St. Louis home. Born in St. Louis, Don prepared for Princeton at St. Louis Country Day School. At Princeton he majored in economics and was a member of Cottage Club. He subsequently obtained a degree in business administration from Washington U. He served in the Army in Germany. He became executive vice president of Ralston Purina and later founded Danforth AgriResources, Inc. He served on the board of many organizations and was chair of the American Youth Foundation for more than 30 years.

He is survived by his wife, Carolyn, three daughters, two sons, 10 grandchildren, two brothers, and a sister. The class extends its sympathy to all in their loss.

The Class of 1954

Peter F. Metcalf '59

Peter, one of nine Metcalfs to attend Princeton, died Jan. 26, 2001, in his winter home in Venice, Fla., after a five-year struggle with cancer.

A graduate of Phillips Andover, Peter worked on the Daily Princetonian, joined Colonial Club, and majored in history at Princeton.

Peter worked for Columbian Rope Co. of Auburn, N.Y., for 25 years, serving in Manila for 12 years, and as president from 1982-85, when he retired. While in the Philippines he was an avid offshore racer and commodore of the Manila Yacht Club. After retiring he dedicated himself to local business concerns and extensive philanthropic work, including service as president of the Columbian Foundation in Auburn, which supports local human services agencies. Following the death of his beloved wife, Nancy, in 1993, he devoted countless volunteer hours to local hospitals in Syracuse and Venice and was a director of the St. James Episcopal Church Foundation in Skaneateles, N.Y., which he also served as a Eucharist minister and lector.

Peter leaves a son, Toby, a daughter, Stacy, a granddaughter, Madeline, a brother, Philip '64, a sister, Elizabeth, and a devoted family of friends who will miss his forthright opinions, optimism, and unfailing courage.

The Class of 1959

Michael R. Zales '59

Mike Zales, an exuberant son of Princeton, died May 4, 2000, at home in Tucson of heart disease.

Born in NYC and raised in Stamford, Conn., Mike graduated from St. Luke's School in New Canaan. At Princeton he double-majored in religion and European literature and belonged to Court Club, Whig-Clio, and the Pre-Medical Society.

Mike graduated from Albert Einstein College of Medicine in 1964, served as a squadron medical officer in the Navy, and practiced psychiatry in Greenwich, where he was chair of the psychology department at Greenwich Hospital, president of the Group for the Advancement of Psychiatry and the Benjamin Rush Society, and chair of the publications committee of the American College of Psychology.

Prior to defecting to the Arizona desert in 1987, he taught for many years at Yale and the Hebrew Union College and occasionally at Dartmouth during the summer months, when the family resided in nearby Quechee, Vt. During his 13 years in Tucson, he taught at the U. of Arizona Health Sciences Center and Tucson Medical Center and was active in the Jewish community.

Michael is survived by his wife, Ruth, his daughter, Melissa Koller '85, his son, Samuel, and three granddaughters. The class extends its heartfelt condolences to all.

The Class of 1959

Stephen f. Wright '67

We recently learned that Stephen died in June 1998 of a heart attack following routine surgery. Steve had been suffering from RRP (Recurrent Respiratory Papillomatosis), a rare disorder which caused polyps to grow on his larynx, which eventually was surgically removed.

Steve came to Princeton in his sophomore year from San Jose, having spent his freshman year at Pomona. He roomed with John Elting Treat and Philip Webster '68 in 34 Campbell Hall, was a member of Colonial Club, and majored in comparative literature. On the editorial board of the Nassau Lit, he also wrote film and theater reviews for the Prince.

Following Princeton, Steve pursued graduate studies before entering the Navy as an intelligence officer. He served, among other places, in Libya when Col. Qaddafi overthrew King Idris.

After his Navy service, Steve settled in the south of France and later moved to Paris. In the 1980s he returned to the US and worked in the Boston area and in Washington, DC.

Steve is survived by his wife, Pauline, a son and a daughter, who ask that memorial donations be made to: RRP Foundation, P.O. Box 6643, Lawrenceville, N.J. 08648

The Class of 1967

Timothy m. McNamara '78

Tim died at home in Falls Church, Va., on Dec. 12, 2000, surrounded by family. He had head and neck cancer.

Tim came to Princeton from Lakenheath H.S., in England. A Cottage member, he was a WWS graduate focused on Russia. Very active in ROTC, he was briefly a Footnote and a Tigertone and rowed all four years on the heavyweight crew.

Following four years as an infantry officer in the 82nd Airborne Division and Fifth Special Forces, Tim left active duty in 1982. A successful yearlong fight against leukemia interrupted his subsequent attendance at Hopkins SAIS. He returned to receive his MA in international relations, specializing in Soviet studies.

Since 1985 he had served as an intelligence officer with the CIA in Central and Eastern Europe, the Balkans, and Washington. He actively supported critical issues facing the US government in Central and Eastern Europe during the 1990s, including the reunification of Germany, the Balkan conflict, and the expansion of NATO into Eastern Europe. Tim was recently awarded the Distinguished Career Intelligence Medal.

Tim is remembered for his integrity, compassion, enthusiasm, and ready smile. Survivors include his wife, Julie Kingan McNamara '79, and their daughter, Clare '05.

The Class of 1978

Lisa Muniz '90

Lisa died in an accident on Nov. 16, 2000. At Princeton she majored in psychology, served as art chair in the Quadrangle Cub and vice president of the Student Consulting Initiative, and was a member of Butler College, Infinity Limited, Accion Puertorriquea y Amigos, and the Third World Center.

After graduation Lisa worked in Seattle and then moved to Lawrenceville, N.J. She was working for Lucent and happy to be living close to the university and her family, especially her new nephew/godson, whom she was "teaching the words to 'Old Nassau' even though he was having trouble signing without any teeth."

Lisa's interests included Volksmarch, a group that sponsored walks in urban and rural areas. She also became a wonderful gardener, growing houseplants indoors and managing great vegetable and herb gardens on whatever patios or lawn patches went with her various apartments.

Lisa's family and friends have set up a scholarship in her memory. Checks and correspondence should specifically read "Lisa Muniz Memorial Scholarship" and be sent to: Recording Secretary, Princeton University, Box 140, Princeton, NJ 08544.

The Class of 1990