July 7, 2004: Memorials


Johnny died Apr. 6, 2004, at his winter home in Naples, Fla. He was 98.

Born in Jersey City, N.J., his career in the steel industry spanned many years, and he retired in 1967 as the national vice president of Ryerson Steel, based in Chicago. He was an expert bridge player who loved card games, as well as an avid saltwater fisherman and boater. He also was an enthusiastic member of the class and regularly attended reunions at Princeton and in Naples. A summer resident of Cape Cod until his retirement, Johnny later lived there full-time before sharing his year between Marstons Mills on the Cape and Naples. He was buried on Cape Cod at the site where his wife, Betty Ebert, was interred in 1985.

Johnny is survived by a son, John W. IV; a daughter, Betsy Hines; three granddaughters; and five great-grandchildren. His father, John W. Queen II, was a member of the Class of 1887 and, according to John IV, Princeton’s first Phi Beta Kappa. John II taught Latin and Greek at Princeton, and later became a judge.

The Class of 1926


Bill died Feb. 17, 2004, at Pleasant Valley Manor in Snydersville, Pa.

Born in Pittsburgh, he came to the Salis-bury, Conn., area as a student at Salisbury School, graduating in 1924. After graduation from Princeton, he returned to Salisbury School as a teacher. A year later, he moved back to Sewickley, Pa., where he was an officer of the First National Bank of Pittsburgh. In 1939, Bill became headmaster of Indian Mountain School where, except for the war years, he remained until retirement in 1970.

Trained as a field artillery officer, Bill sailed for the South Pacific in 1944. Heading a forward artillery team, he took part in the landings on Guam and Leyte, and called in naval gunfire from observation posts on shore. During the Leyte assault on Ormoc, his team was responsible for sinking a Japanese troopship, earning Bill, then a captain, a Bronze Star.

Throughout his life Bill was active in many organizations, including the American Legion, Salisbury Winter Sports Assn., and the Rotary Club.

His first marriage, to Mary Jennings Hill, ended in divorce. In 1951 he married Con-stance Jordan Bancroft, who predeceased him.

Bill is survived by a daughter, Patricia Shure; three sons, Jerome, Michael, and William Jr.; 13 grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren. The class extends sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1928



Leon, an examiner, investigator, adjudicator, and attorney with the Civil Service Commission in DC for 30 years and a longtime resident of Fairfax County, Va., where he was active in civic and religious organizations, died Mar. 12, 2004. He purchased a winter home in Palm Bay, Fla., in 1974 and became a permanent resident there in 1981.

During WW II, Leon saw service in New Guinea and the Philippines. His duties, he wrote, “ranged from rifleman to chaplain’s assistant.” He held life memberships in the 6th Armored Division Assn. and Veterans of Foreign Wars. He also belonged to Princeton clubs in New Jersey, DC, and Florida, and to the American Federation of Government Employees, American Legion, and the National Assn. of Retired Federal Employees.

Leon is survived by eight nephews and nieces, including Edward R. Doughty II ’62. They have our sincere condolences.

The Class of 1934



Ed died Aug. 27, 2003; he was 88.

He attended Western HS in DC and Exeter Academy. At Princeton he majored in political science and was a member of Court Club. In 1940 he received his teacher’s certificate from the Peabody Conservatory of Music in Baltimore. In 1949 he was awarded a master’s in mathematics from George Washington U.

Ed taught instrumental music for 12 years in the DC public schools and for seven years in Arlington, Va. He switched to math in 1960, continuing to work in Arlington for another 10 years. He then transferred to Fauquier County, Va., for five years and retired from teaching in 1975. He ended his career in 1981 after working for the Library of Congress.

In Loudoun County he was a member of the Senior Recreation Advisory Board and the Committee for Nuclear Disarmament. He was a member of the Princeton Club of Washington, the Harvard Club, the Farmington Country Club of Charlottesville, the English-Speaking Union, and the Center Harbor Yacht Club of Brooklin, Maine.

Ed is survived by his wife of nearly 67 years, Susan; daughters Susan D. Gries, Agnes D. Debra, and Betsy Dawson; eight grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1936



Frank died of natural causes Dec. 5, 2003, at the U. of Chicago Hospital. He was 89.

He prepared at St. Joseph’s School in Philadelphia. At Princeton he majored in philosophy and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa in 1936. He earned a master’s degree in philosophy in 1941 and a PhD in art history in 1955 from the U. of Chicago. During WWII he enlisted in 1943 and served three years in Naval Intelligence, attaining the rank of lieutenant. Most of that time Frank was assigned to DC and Japan.

From 1947-49 he researched 18th-century French portraiture in Paris on a fellowship from the American Council of Learned Societies. In 1949 he started teaching at the U. of Chicago and spent the rest of his career there, receiving tenure in 1958 and a full professorship in 1974.

Frank was known for his vast knowledge of art history and his enthusiasm in working with his students. We are not aware of any survivors.

The Class of 1936



Larry died Aug. 17, 2003. He was 89.

After graduation from the Lawrenceville School, he majored in political science at Princeton, where he was a member of Cannon Club. During WWII he served four years in the Army in Africa and India. He retired in 1946 as a major.

Larry retired from Chevron Corp. in 1978 after spending five decades there. For more than 20 years he was president of Chevron Shipping Co. In that capacity he served all of Chevron’s international operations and was honored as the American Petroleum Institute’s “Man of the Year.” He helped in christening many tankers in foreign ports.

An avid golfer, Larry played on many of the world’s great courses. He was the longest-standing member of the SF Golf Club and the Pacific Club, and was the last surviving member of the Honker Farms Duck Club.

Larry married Janet Ditz in 1937 and she predeceased him in 1995. He is survived by his second wife, Mary Fills; two of his three children, Janet F. Crandall and Lawrence C. Ford Jr.; grandchildren Jane Richardson, Cyn-thia Carroll, Charlotte Tracy, Peter and Ethan Ford, and Bill ’87, Robert, John, and Russell Crandall; and eight great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1936



Al died Jan. 10, 2004, at his home in Boynton Beach, Fla.

He graduated from the Chicago Latin School and majored in engineering at Princeton, where his father was Class of ’12. From 1941-45 he was a Navy fighter pilot and was one of our most decorated classmates, receiving the Distinguished Flying Cross, Navy Cross, Silver Star, and Air Medal. Al served in the Pacific on the aircraft carrier USS Lexington and was a lieutenant commander on his separation.

In 1946, he became a partner in the Hitchcock Co., a contracting firm specializing in piping. In 1960, Al became the sole owner and concentrated on Midwest operations — Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, and Iowa. He served on the board of directors of Jefferson Bank and the Peoria Assn. of Commerce. He also was past president of the Country Club of Peoria and was club golf champion. In 1985, Al retired but kept an office in Peoria.

In 1942 he married his beloved wife, Eleanor Blanchard, who survives along with their son Prescott ’63; daughter Sharon; two grandchildren; a great-grandson; his sister, Alice; and brother Edward ’43, a Princeton professor. We mourn this man who led a happy and useful life.

The Class of 1937



Sandy died Apr. 6, 2004, at the La Posada Health Care Center in Green Valley, Ariz., after a long battle with renal disease.

He was the son of Archie H. Ormond 1908 and the grandson of Alexander T. Ormond 1877. He prepared at East Orange [N.J.] HS. At Princeton he was an English major, played on the champion lacrosse teams of that era, sang in the Chapel Choir, and was a member of Cannon Club.

During WW II he served in the Navy, starting in the Mediterranean but mostly in the South Pacific. Postwar he earned a law degree at Columbia U. School of Law. When he retired from the business world, he was vice president and trust officer of the Colorado Springs National Bank, now a part of the Wells Fargo Banking Systems.

Sandy is survived by his wife, Rosetta; daughter Elizabeth; son Kenneth; stepsons William and Phillip Foard and their wives; and 11 grandchildren, to all of whom the class extends its sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1938



Bob died Dec. 30, 2003, in Binghamton, N.Y.

His unusually varied career began after he earned his law degree at Harvard in 1942. He enlisted in the Naval Reserve and served with the Supply Corps in Africa, the Caribbean, and South Pacific until 1946, when he went on inactive duty as a lieutenant. He then went to practice law in Binghamton, serving as corporation counsel for that city as well as working with the Binghamton Housing Authority in establishing the city’s first public housing complex.

Moving to NYC, he worked for the SEC and as an investigator for the US Dept. of Agriculture. But he always had his heart set on the study of history, so in 1969 he changed his professional focus to academe and joined Broome Community College as associate professor in the liberal arts division, teaching history, English, and economics until he retired in 1982. At last he could give full vent to his history research while also volunteering with local Peace Action groups and Binghamton Presbyterian Church.

Bob is survived by his wife of 32 years, Anne Boyer Cotten, six children, and six grandchildren. To all, we extend our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939



Bob died Jan. 12, 2004, in California, his residence of choice since 1946.

He prepared at Walton [N.Y.] HS. At Princeton, he majored in music, was a member of the band, assistant director of the choir, manager of Theatre Intime, and vice president of Gateway Club.

Until 1942, Bob taught music at the Darrow School in New Lebanon, N.Y. During WWII, he served in the Special Services, Air Transport Command in Iceland, among other locations. From 1946-50 he played the piano in dance bands. He taught clinical psychology at Southern Cal and Pepperdine College from 1950-56 while studying at Southern Cal for his PhD, which he received in 1958.

He was active with his clinical psychology practice thereafter. He wrote in the class reunion book: “I find it a fascinating field. Don’t have any retirement plan . . . ”

He enjoyed travel, reading, writing, playing the piano, and his family. Bob is survived by his wife, Lolita; five children, Ricky, Pamela, Gregg, Robin, and Christopher; and five grandchildren. To them all, his classmates extend their deepest sympathies.

The Class of 1940



Bob, taking such joy in his retirement after fulfilling careers as a family practice physician and Baltimore health commissioner, died Apr. 7, 2004, of lung disease.

A graduate of Gilman School, Bob followed his brother, Dawson ’39, to Princeton, where he majored in chemistry, graduating with high honors. He also was a member of Sigma Xi, the freshman lacrosse team, and Cannon Club. He received a medical degree in 1943 from Johns Hopkins. Bob spent two years in the Navy as a doctor aboard the USS Karnes, an attack transport delivering troops in the Pacific island-hopping campaign. He won two battle stars, attaining the rank of lieutenant commander.

Bob returned to practice in his boyhood home of Sparrow Point, Md., where his father practiced medicine for many years. “A source of pride for him were the 600 babies he delivered over the next seven years,” according to his son, Robert Jr. ’70. In 1962, after various positions in the Baltimore City Health Dept., the mayor appointed him commissioner, a position he held until his 1975 retirement. Newspaper editorials reported that “infant mortality rates fell 15 percent, and polio, measles, and tuberculosis were virtually eliminated under his administration.”

His classmates offer deepest sympathies to Bob’s wife of 57 years, Mary Streeter Farber; sons Robert Jr. and Allen; brother Dawson; and two granddaughters.

The Class of 1940



Bob died Apr. 18, 2004, in Miami. He was, as his obituary stated, “an extremely kind and generous man, a consummate gentleman.”

He prepared at Phillips Academy. At Princeton, he majored in economics, graduating with honors, and was a member of Triangle Club, Charter Club, and the polo team, and was vice president of the Princeton Polo Assn.

During WWII he served in the Army Field Artillery, reaching the rank of captain. Continuing in the Army Reserve until 1964, he retired as a lieutenant colonel.

Until Hector Supply Co. was sold in 1982, Bob was its president and chairman of the board. With the campaign slogan “Be an Elector for Hector,” he was elected to seven terms in the Florida House of Representatives before retiring in 1980.

His civic activities included the Orange Bowl Committee, which he served as president in 1966, and the boards of Rotary, Easter Seals, Goodwill, and the American Red Cross, among others. He was a member of Biscayne Bay Yacht Club and Riviera Country Club, and recipient of several distinguished service awards.

To Bob’s wife of 62 years, Alice Guyton; his brother, Louis; his children, Bryan, Alice, Robert, and Emily; 12 grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren, his classmates extend sincere condolences.

The Class of 1940



With some sort of prescience, we called him “Colonel” and that, among many other titles, was one Jim Latchum attained before his death Jan. 31, 2004.

He prepared at Peddie School, was a politics major at Princeton, and graduated cum laude. The Colonel was a member of Whig Hall and Campus Club, and was a Student Agency manager. He graduated second in his class from U. Va. Law School in 1946, where he was an editorial board member of the Virginia Law Review.

During WWII, Colonel served in the US and the Pacific, leaving as an Army major. As a reservist, he taught military law until 1961, retiring as a lieutenant colonel.

From 1955-68, he was a partner in Potter, Anderson and Caroon. In 1968, Pres. Johnson nominated Colonel for appointment to the US District Court for Delaware. He later became the chief judge and then senior judge. His list of state and national commission and bar association memberships would fill several paragraphs.

Those of us who knew Colonel well remember the twinkle in his eyes as he told one of his wealth of humorous stories. He was predeceased by daughter Su-Allan Lopez. To his wife of 60 years, Elizabeth Murray McArthur Latchum, and his daughter Beth, his classmates extend sincere condolences.

The Class of 1940



Bruce died Feb. 2, 2004, from congestive heart failure. He had moved several months before his death to the home of his son, David, in East Hartford, Conn.

He came to Princeton from East Orange [N.J.] HS. He majored in chemistry and graduated with high honors. A member of Court Club and Sigma Xi, he roomed with Dick Stoner. Bruce entered the Army Medical Corps in 1943 and was commissioned upon completing medical school at Columbia. He interned at Bellevue Hospital, spent his residency at Cornell Medical School with an elective fifth year at Lahey Clinic in Boston, and after two years at Fort Knox, Ky., and Camp Attebury, Ind., left as a captain.

Bruce then spent several years at the Bronx V.M. Hospital before starting his practice in Short Hills, N.J. He specialized in general surgery, primarily at Overlook Hospital in Summit, N.J., retiring after 30 years. Bruce visited 20 countries during his lifetime.

Predeceased by his three wives, Jeanne Curtis Whitesell, Katherine Beyer Whitesell, and Ann Schaper Whitesell, he is survived by sons John, Tom, and David; daughter Margery; nine grandchildren; and numerous stepchildren and step-grandchildren.

The Class of 1941



“Hap” died Mar. 10, 2004, of congestive heart failure in Providence, R.I.

He prepared at the Millbrook School and majored in civil engineering at Princeton, where he was president of the civil engineering society, very active in intramural sports, and a member of Elm Club.

In 1942 Hap married Patsy W. Peabody before serving in the Pacific theater with the Navy Construction Battalion (the Seabees). After WWII Hap, a lieutenant commander, was recalled to DC to take charge of protective construction for atomic war defense — an important assignment in post-WWII Ameri-ca. In the meantime, Hap and Pat had Peter.

Hap’s upwardly mobile business career, which began in 1947, included 10 years with IBM in production control, purchasing, and selling; five years as director of marketing for the Electro-Optical Division of Perkin-Elmer on “secret projects”; a stint with Itek as director of marketing-government business; and finally several years with Raytheon in Burlington, Mass., as manager of new business development, from which he retired in 1982 to move to Savannah. There Hap joined a real estate firm that cited him for “exceptional [marketing] accomplishments.” Four years ago he and Pat moved to Providence.

The class extends deepest sympathy to Pat and Peter.

The Class of 1942



Bob, who became an eminent teacher and church historian despite being born with severely deformed arms and hands, died Apr. 16, 2004, at home in Savoy, Ill.

Bob prepared at Henry Snyder HS in Jersey City. He graduated from Princeton with honors in modern languages and was librarian of Gateway Club. Bob attended Yale Drama School and earned an MFA in playwriting. After four years as English instructor and director of plays at RPI, he entered Yale Divinity School. By 1956 Bob had earned bachelor’s and master’s degrees of divinity, was ordained a minister of the Presbyterian Church, and had married Yale librarian Edith Welle. The couple had two sons, Christopher and Paul.

After a stint at Dubuque Theological Seminary, he returned to Yale and earned a PhD in one year. Bob’s dissertation, “Jefferson on Religion in Public Education” (1962) is in the official White House library. During his tenure (1956-91) as professor at the Theological Seminary of the U. of Dubuque, he had research sabbaticals in Paris, Edinburgh, and Jerusalem, and published three books on church history.

Bob was honored as Handicapped Iowan of 1977 and earned a Presidential Citation in 1978 for work with the Iowa Commission on Employment of the Handicapped. His son Paul survives him.

The Class of 1942



Og, exemplar of Princeton in the nation’s service, died Mar. 30, 2004, in Ipswich, Mass. He was 84.

Having prepared at St. Paul’s School, Og was a history major and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He worked on the Princetonian, was a member of Ivy Club, and was 1941 Uni-versity sculling champion. In WWII as a first lieutenant, he navigated deliveries of Amer-ican bombers to Europe, Africa, and India.

A 1948 Harvard Law School graduate, Og worked for three years with Carter, Ledyard and Milburn in NYC, then served with the CIA in Germany, Vietnam, and India. In 1962 he joined the Agency for International Development. After stints as deputy director in Tunisia and associate director in Vietnam, he became director of USAID South Vietnam’s Chieu Hoi (“Open Arms”) program. During hs tenure, some 60,000 Viet Cong accepted amnesty. He received many awards including the South Vietnamese National Order. Protest-ing the abrupt cutoff of US aid to Vietnam, Og returned there after retirement to help Vietnamese friends escape to America.

After 1975, Og was a freelance writer on refugee and environmental affairs. An avid outdoorsman, he often climbed mountains in Alaska and enjoyed his farm in West Virginia.

We extend sincerest condolences to Og’s sister, Hope Wigglesworth, and her family.

The Class of 1942



Fred died Feb. 20, 2004, after a long illness. He was 81.

He prepped for Princeton at St. Bernard’s School in NYC and St. Paul’s in Concord, N.H. At Princeton he was a member of Cloister, studied under the poet-critic Alan Tate, and with fellow Tiger Joseph Bennett ’43, edited an undergraduate magazine called the Nassau Lit.

Following graduation and Army service during WWII, Fred sidestepped his father’s soap business and began planning what would become his life’s work, The Hudson Review. With Joseph Bennett and another Princetonian, William Arrowsmith ’45, Fred envisioned a magazine that published established and unknown writers, reviewed books, and covered news of music, theater, dance, and the visual arts.

The Hudson Review’s circulation never climbed above 4,000 but the magazine survived. Fred’s third wife, Paula Deitz, continues to edit it today. After the magazine, which was published quarterly, Fred’s greatest legacy lies in his poetry and the dozen or so volumes of verse he produced.

Besides Paula, Fred is survived by two daughters, Gaylen and Veronica; a son, George F.; and five grandchildren.

To the entire family, we extend our most heartfelt condolences.

The Class of 1943



Ted Carter died on a ski run Mar. 24, 2004.

Sixteen of his relatives, including his father, E. Sterling Carter ’16, and cousin, Burnham Carter ’44, preceded him at Princeton. He prepared at Deerfield Academy. At Princeton he majored in aeronautical engineering, was on the varsity track team, and was a member of Tower Club and the Westminster Society. He graduated in 1943 and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.

After service as a naval officer, and earning a master’s at MIT, Ted spent his career with Sikorsky Aircraft, where he made important contributions to the development of helicopter instrument flight (for which he received the George Mead gold medal), and helicopter dynamics — vibration, stability, controls, and servomechanisms.

He was an active sportsman and made his home in Fairfield, Conn.

Ted is survived by his wife, Ann; children Janet, Misty, and Jim; and eight grandchildren. To them, his class tenders their regrets.

The Class of 1944



Phil died Mar. 30, 2004, the eve of his 81st birthday.

He prepared at Haverford School. At Princeton he majored in economics and social institutions, was active with Theatre Intime and the Glee Club, and was a member of Terrace Club.

After service in the Army Air Force, he returned to receive his degree, and then spent two years at Columbia U. Law School before joining Showman’s Trade Review, a publication from which he moved to the Modern Talking Picture Service, a business that promoted nontheatrical film. He later founded his own agency, specializing in writing, desktop publishing, and other journalistic services for regional and trade publications, writing as a contributing editor for many journals and newspapers, and serving as a voiceover and onscreen performer for television commercials.

Phil lived mainly in Cos Cob, Conn., where he was involved in poetry, ballet, and music, and in the Oral History Project of Greenwich Library. He is survived by his sister, Mary-Alice Murphy.

The Class of 1944



George died Apr. 4, 2004 at his home in Fairfield, Conn., where he lived with his wife, Gayle (“Gay”).

A Choate School graduate from Pittsburgh, he entered Princeton in 1942, spent 1943-45 as an Air Force torpedo bomber on Atlantic antisubmarine patrol, and returned to college to major in economics. He played basketball, football, and baseball, and served as undergraduate class president, then as secretary from 1946-50.

George’s 42-year career was in the textile sales business, mainly with the Graniteville Co. in NYC, St. Louis, and LA. He helped develop permanent-press fabrics and Scotchgard.

Married in 1946 to Helen Hinchcliffe, they had nine children before she died in 1988. His second wife, Gay, brought her three children into the family. George is survived by his children Susan, George, Thomas, Steven, John, Amy, Andrew, and William; stepchildren Scott and Matt Rochlin, and Samantha Kilcoyne; 24 grandchildren; and one great-granddaughter. To them all, the class extends deep sympathy.

The Class of 1946



Charley, whose life reflects the globalization of our era, died Nov. 1, 2003.

He returned to Princeton in 1946 after WWII service as an Air Corps navigator. Graduating in 1948, he secured a Harvard MBA in 1951 and married fellow Philadelphian Phoebe Taylor in 1954.

Charley’s business career took off in 1960 when he joined International Flavors and Fragrances, which markets top-of-the-line perfumes and related products. He soon headed IFF’s European operations, which included the Middle East and Africa, and later its Far East and Pacific business during a time of explosive growth in that region, when new lifestyles mixed with old traditions. He, and very often Phoebe, traveled extensively during these years, forming friendships with people in diverse places.

In 1968, while sailing in the Caribbean, they discovered St. Barthélemy, a small, unspoiled island in the French West Indies. They bought land there and constructed a house that became a beloved home during happy retirement years invigorated by many intellectual interests and avocations.

A cosmopolitan traveler, accomplished in the arts of international business and acculturation, Charley enjoyed learning more about our world and how to live well within it.

With admiration for his achievements, we extend warmest wishes to Phoebe, their sons, Charles and Willing, and four grandchildren.

The Class of 1947



Dick died Apr. 22, 2003. Many of us remember him as an articulate, witty, and talented classmate — a charismatic Triangle Club star. Close friends recall how he sometimes reflected in silent sadness on life’s uncertain vicissitudes.

Soon after graduating with high honors in psychology, he married Ruth Ann, his high school sweetheart in Warren, Pa. A career in diverse business activities followed but eventually, after moving to Houston, Dick launched his own successful business, the Speedy Printing Service of Texas.

For our 25th Dick described life since ’47 as a busy “blur of happiness and hurt,” but a “good life . . . moored by a God-sent wife and children.” For our 40th he reported: “The pace slows. Patience has finally been discovered . . . I have learned that love transcends all.” Of Princeton days he said: “I see them fondly, but far, far, away.”

By our 50th, Dick abandoned contact with us, retiring to a life marked by humility and countless acts of kindness to others including creation of a program to help children, especially those less fortunate, learn the joys of reading. Above all, he enjoyed an extraordinarily loving relationship with his “God-sent” family, which now included nine grandchildren. With fond memories we extend warm wishes to Ruth Ann and her family.

The Class of 1947



Bob died with his three children at his side Oct. 21, 2003.

He was born in Bryn Mawr, Pa. His father, Robert 1908, was president of Rutgers from 1932-51. Not surprisingly, Bob attended Rutgers Preparatory School. After graduating in 1943, he joined the Navy and served on two aircraft carriers in the South Pacific.

He was with us at Princeton for a brief time. Thereafter, he pursued careers in insurance and banking before becoming an administrator at the Haverford [Pa.[ School. He retired from there in 1988.

Bob was a man of many interests. A talented pianist, he loved to play Chopin and Bach. A train buff, he enjoyed an elaborate N-gauge layout. An avid chess player, he played against man and computer. A ham radio operator, he conversed in Morse code with hams around the world. An expert sailor, he vacationed yearly with his family on an island in Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia.

Bob was a kind and caring person, rooted in his Quaker heritage. To his two daughters, Anne Haydon ’80 and Christina Moses; his son, Robert III ’83; and seven grandchildren, the class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1950



After a valiant two-year battle with ALS, Bob died Apr. 1, 2004, in his Jacksonville, Fla., home. He had hoped to take part in the class symposium at our 50th reunion, but was too ill to attend.

Extremely musical, Bob sang in the choir, had his own record show on WPRU, where he also was program director, and played piano in Ken Stocker’s dance band. His field of study was SPIA and at mealtimes he could be found at Cannon Club. After the Army and Harvard Law School, he moved to DC.

During the Nixon and Ford administrations, he was appointed a senior policy official in the DOT. Later he was president of the Transportation Assn. of America. Career changes found him associated with agricultural technologies and small business, and working for the US Chamber of Commerce. He enjoyed retirement in Florida.

Dave Giardino remembers fondly that whenever Bob had a new girlfriend he would bring her by for approval from Dave’s wife, Lorraine. Sigrid, Bob’s wife, definitely received a “thumbs up” and cared for him lovingly during his illness. Dave said Bob never complained and died peacefully.

Besides Sigrid, Bob is survived by daughters Ainslie, Hillary, and Meredith; stepchildren Vivian and Scott; and five grandchildren. He will be missed very much.

The Class of 1953



Eric captained the freshman swimming team, was a frogman on the Navy’s Underwater Demolition Team, and went on to make a bigger splash in commercial real estate. Regrettably, he died Feb. 13, 2004, in La Jolla, Calif. after a long battle with cancer.

A Houston native, he prepared at Sewanee Military Academy. At Princeton he concentrated in the SPIA program and belonged to Quadrangle Club. A handsome, very likable individual, Eric was never without a pretty date for weekend parties, two-year roommate Steve Paliska recalls.

After the service, a master’s from Columbia, and an overseas stint with Exxon, Eric settled in California. He joined Coldwell Banker Brokers and later opened his own office, Sundt Development Corp. He specialized in commercial properties and successfully rode the real-estate industry’s roller-coaster. In our 25th yearbook, it was learned that he was nationally ranked in Masters Swimming. He enthusiastically backed his son, Jon, who established the Sundt Memorial Foundation to combat youthful substance abuse.

Besides Jon, he is survived by wife Hedi, daughter Julie Funes, brother Peter, sister Helen De St. Anthost, and two grandchildren. We shall miss Eric, with his sense of fun and acts of kindness.

The Class of 1953



Art died Feb. 22, 2004, at home.

He prepared at Brooklyn Technical HS. At Princeton he majored in philosophy, served on the editorial literary board of the Nassau Lit, and was secretary-treasurer of the Philosophy Forum. Following graduation, he earned master’s and doctoral degrees in English literature, and then taught at the U. of Connecticut and Syracuse U. He joined the faculty at Binghamton U. in 1964, where he taught and wrote for 40 years. Among Art’s many accomplishments were receiving the Chancellor’s Award for excellence in teaching in 1990 and the publication of numerous books.

The class extends sympathy to his sister, Elaine Fuchs; brother Robert Parnell; friend and companion Katrina Shilts; children Margaret, Stephen, Michael, and Thomas; and grandchildren Michele, Phillip, Rachele, and Anthony Bakic, Omeyeme Tokulah, Josette Clements, Madelyn Clements, Therese Sanborn, and Ryan Magee.

The Class of 1954



Jake, a U. Va. School of Medicine professor, died of a heart attack Apr. 9, 2004, at his home.

A native Washingtonian, Jake graduated from Episcopal HS in Alexandria. At Princeton, he majored in biology. He graduated from Duke U. School of Medicine in 1958, interned at NY Hospital-Cornell Medical Center, and completed his residency training at the U. of Utah. He subsequently completed a fellowship at Massachusetts General Hospital.

Jake spent his career involved in public- health issues related to the treatment of thyroid disease. He and other scientists brought the issue to the attention of the World Health Organization and UNICEF, which agreed to a grant program — funded by the Kiwanis and the Gates Foundation — to eliminate thyroid-related mental retardation by proper iodine diet by 2005.

The class extends its sincere sympathy to Jake’s wife of 42 years, Ann Davis Dunn, three children, a brother and sister, and two grandchildren.

The Class of 1954



Don suffered a massive heart attack and died Mar. 29, 2004.

A longtime unionist and social activist whose progressive roots extended back to the civil rights and antiwar movements of the 1960s, he played a major role in the New Jersey Industrial Union Council, NJ Citizen Action, and a host of Hudson County labor and community organizations. He was past president of the Council of NJ State College Locals, longtime president and leader of Local 1839 AFT, and professor of English at NJ City U. As council president, Don was primarily responsible for organizing the adjunct faculty and dedicated himself to improving the status of the most disadvantaged group among college faculty.

Son of Robert Silberman’25, Don maintained a strong loyalty to Princeton. For our 40th, he wrote: “Today, the University in the nation’s service is educating its students to prize diversity that is the strength of our society.”

A member of Orange Key and production director for WPRB, Don roomed senior year with Jules Moskowitz, Richard Malsan, and Robert Hut, and wrote his thesis on “The Artist as Rebel — Byron, Brontë, Blake.”

We express our deepest sympathy to his wife, Leslie, daughter Hillary, and son Steve.

The Class of 1956



Jim died Nov. 9, 2002, after an almost year-long fight with cancer.

Jim prepared for Princeton at Newark Academy. He majored in music and wrote his thesis on Ernest Bloch. While at Princeton he was a member of the student cabinet of the Hillel Foundation and a member of Elm Club. Graduating cum laude, Jim earned his medical degree from NYU followed by an internship at Beth Israel Hospital in NYC. He then earned a postgraduate degree in ophthalmology and served his residency at Mount Sinai Hospital.

Changing careers, Jim graduated from Columbia Law School as a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar and joined a NYC law firm. Fascinated with computers, Jim taught himself computer programming and founded QA Systems, a software company that has nationwide clients in the health, hospital, government, and insurance industries.

His wife, Judy, said, “Jim was a man who reveled in life, a true Renaissance man, passionate about all his interests.” He created beautiful photography, and had what he called “a Smithsonian complex.” Throughout his life he wrote poetry, viewing the poems as reflections of his soul and creative manifestations of his being a “certified iconoclast.”

The class sends deepest sympathy to Judy; son Nathan and his wife, Tammy; and grandson Hayden.

The Class of 1958



John died suddenly of heart disease Aug. 31, 2003. Prior to his death he had been training for a triathlon.

John entered Princeton from the John Burroughs School in St. Louis. He majored in psychology and belonged to Key and Seal Club, where he served on its bicker committee. Upon graduation John served in the Navy and received the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal and the Navy Expeditionary Medal for the Cuban Quarantine.

Following his Navy tour John earned an MBA from Columbia Business School in 1964. After becoming a CPA, he practiced with Price Waterhouse before establishing his own firm in St. Louis. In addition, he became a manufacturer of authentic American railroad lamps at his company, Handlan-Buck.

John retired to Oriental, N.C., where he won the sailboat-racing season in 1991. Commenting on his success, John said, “There. Now I never have to do that again.” John’s first one-man show in ceramics was an enormous success.

The class extends its deepest sympathy to his wife, Madeline; son John; daughters Mary and Sarah Glazar; stepson William Stribling; and mother Elizabeth; as well as his sisters and grandchildren.

The Class of 1958



Sarge Bush died Oct. 8, 2003, from metastatic melanoma.

Born in New Jersey, son of the Rev. Sargent Bush ’17, Sarge prepped at Blair Academy. At Princeton he majored in English, sang in Glee Club and Chapel Choir, ate at Elm Club, and met Cynthia Greig at Bryn Mawr College. They were married in 1960.

Following graduation and a short stint at Hanover Bank in NYC, Sarge opted for a six-month Army tour, involuntarily supplemented by a 10-month call-up for the Berlin crisis. Once he was released, the Bushes headed west to the U. of Iowa, where Sarge earned a master’s and PhD in English. After four years as an assistant professor of English at Washington and Lee U., he moved to the U. of Wisconsin, where he became a full professor of English in 1979, department chairman from 1980-83, and associate dean for humanities from 1989-94, and in 1999.

Author and editor of five books, Sarge concentrated on early American writing through the 19th century. A colleague, citing Sarge’s work with the New England Puritan divines, described him as “one of the greatest expositors of the intellectual history of New England.”

To Cynthia and sons Charles and James, the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1959



Josh Kaplan, a caring doctor and a pioneering administrator who directed health services at Bowling Green State U. since 1984, died Jan. 2, 2004, after a five-year battle with cancer.

Josh was born in NYC. A biology major at Princeton, he was Dial athletics chairman and roomed with Steve Rosenberg, Lou Birenbaum, John Capestro ’69, David Smith ’68, Russell Barron ’68, and Chuck Gardner. Josh would go out of his way to help a friend. He was an optimist who could find a silver lining in the most depressing circumstances (e.g., the Orgo final).

After receiving his medical degree from SUNY’s Downstate Medical Center, Josh interned at SF’s Presbyterian Hospital, completed his residency at St. Luke’s Hospital in Denver, and worked in hospital emergency departments in California.

Josh spearheaded creation of a women’s health clinic at Bowling Green and strengthened health education on topics relevant to students, including an innovative AIDS education program. Respected as a fair administrator, he loved working with students and they responded to his sense of humor.

Josh was past president of the Ohio College Health Assn. and served on the American College Health Assn. board, which created a fund in his name.

Surviving are his wife, Becky; daughter, Sarah; mother, Pearl; and brother, Ed.

The Class of 1967



Peter died Nov. 24, 2003, in Dayton, Ohio.

Born in St. Louis July 4, 1950, Peter came to Princeton from Melbourne [Fla.] HS. During high school he spent a year in Barcelona, Spain, on an Andover-Exeter program. While at Princeton, with characteristic generosity, Peter and his family helped classmates get summer jobs at resort hotels near their summer home on Lake George. Scott Goldsmith ’72, Peter’s roommate for two years, recalls: “Whether spending time with friends, playing guitar, or even riding around campus on his unicycle, Peter enjoyed life at Princeton. He joined Cap and Gown and contributed greatly to the camaraderie there.”

After Princeton he became a career international flight attendant for Pan Am, National, and Delta Airlines. He traveled the world, lived in a number of cities (including his favorite, Paris) and spoke several languages fluently. According to Peter’s father, William K. “Bill” Bixby Jr. ’46, some recent enthusiasms were wood stoves and vegetable gardens.

The class offers condolences to Peter’s father and his mother, Barbara Bixby, of Indialantic, Fla.; brothers Ethan and William K. III; sisters Lucy and Jennifer; and eight nieces and nephews. A dear friend of many classmates, Peter will be greatly missed.

The Class of 1972



Jeff died Feb. 24, 2004, in Parkland, Fla., after a five-year battle with prostate cancer.

Jeff grew up in Fairhaven, Mass., and went to St. George’s before coming to Princeton with the Class of ’72. After freshman year he worked with VISTA in New Bedford, Mass., helping underprivileged families. He returned in 1970 and was a member of the UGA and Colonial Club. In 1971 he met his eventual bride, Luz Emilia Mayor, in Colombia. He graduated in 1973 with a degree in Latin American politics.

In 1976 Jeff received his MBA from Harvard. Over the years he worked with several companies in the Northeast and in Latin America. In 1998 he was regional CFO for Verizon/Codetel in Santo Domingo. After moving to Verizon headquarters in Dallas in 2002, he moved back home in 2003 to fight his disease. Last fall Jeff received the Paul Harris Fellowship Award from Rotary for lifetime service.

Jeff beat polio as a child and never flagged in his optimism and conviction that you could do anything if you put your mind to it. To Emilia and their two sons, Charlie and Phillip, the Classes of ’72 and ’73 send their condolences.

The Class of 1973



On May 11, 2002, the class lost a compassionate and caring friend, and a dedicated family man, when Tom Ford died suddenly of heart failure.

Born in Baltimore, Tom came to Princeton from Princeton HS. Tom’s best friend before, during, and after Princeton was his high school sweetheart, Patricia “Tri” Harding, whom he married while at Princeton.

After graduation, Tom earned his PhD from the U. of Delaware in 1979, and completed a year of postdoctoral study at Purdue U. Tom went on to establish his career as a research chemist at the DuPont Co.’s Experimental Station, where he was granted several patents for his discoveries. In his spare time, Tom was an accomplished musician, demonstrating his skills as a pianist, guitarist, and vocalist, and also was an avid golf and tennis player.

Tom is survived by Tri; his children Thomas Jr., Frank, Michael, Marianne, Carolyn, Emily, and Catherine; six grandchildren; his parents, Burton ’44 and Carolyn; and his brothers, Chip ’66 and Rick ’68. The class extends its deepest sympathy to the entire Ford family.

The Class of 1974



Gail died Feb. 29, 2004, after a long, valiant struggle with cancer.

Her extraordinary courage and determined optimism throughout her illness — “a battle I never sought but hope to win,” as she wrote in our 25th-reunion book — will come as no surprise to classmates who remember her adamantine will, serene smile paired with a mischievous gleam in her eye, and stamina. Who else could polish off seven Mounds bars on a bet with such aplomb? A native of Cincinnati, Gail majored in East Asian studies and was a member of Tower Club. Freshman year she met David Clough ’75, whom she married in 1978.

In suburban Atlanta, where David started his homebuilding business, Gail was extremely active in her children’s schools and extracurricular activities. An avid tennis player on Atlanta Lawn Tennis Assn. and USTA teams, she encouraged Jeff’s rowing for four years at Princeton, and was instrumental in developing Drew and Lindsay’s tennis teams at Chattahoochee HS.

The class extends heartfelt sympathy to David; their children Jeffrey ’02, Andrew, and Lindsay; Gail’s parents, Ralph and Carol Davidow; her sister, Sally; and brother Chuck. Contributions may be sent to the American Cancer Society, the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, or the Wellness Community in Atlanta.

The Class of 1978



With sadness, we report that John died Apr. 17, 2004, from a blood clot while recovering from knee surgery at his home in Ashland, Mass. He was 46.

John, who was born in Henderson, N.C., won a scholarship to attend Princeton. After college he obtained a master’s in international affairs from Johns Hopkins and an MBA from the Haas School of Business at UC Berkeley.

John had a distinguished career in business and had a tremendous knack for garnering media attention for his clients. He eventually became vice president at the Boston offices of Porter Novelli, an international public-relations firm. Last year he started his own management consulting firm with Marcus Goncalves, who remembers him quite fondly.

“Regardless of all his credentials and accolades, John was always willing to mix with everyone. He was a very giving guy,” Goncalves said. “It was very moving at the funeral to see so many people speak about how John had impacted their lives.”

A member of Boston Church of Christ, where John was very active, Goncalves said, “John introduced my son to the word of God.”

John is survived by six of his seven siblings.

The Class of 1980


Abraham P. Hillman, professor emeritus of mathematics at the U. of New Mexico and passionate proponent of problem-solving, died in his Albuquerque home Jan. 19, 2004, after a long illness. He was 85.

Born in Brooklyn, Hillman took an undergraduate degree at Brooklyn College, winning one of the top five places (along with physicist Richard Feynman) in the William Lowell Putnam Mathematics Competition in 1939, the most prestigious college mathematical competition in the US and Canada. He did graduate work at Columbia U. and completed his PhD in mathematics at Princeton under the tutelage of the eminent topologist Solomon Lefschetz.

Hillman was particularly clever at designing problems for all ages that enhanced learning mathematical ideas. Because he believed that such problems stimulated student interest and cultivated skills, he established high school mathematics contests in

a number of states, many of which continue to this day. The contests were open to children in lower grades, in order to identify early talent.

As a professor, Hillman prepared a number of students for leadership roles in mathematics and wrote several textbooks, one on abstract algebra now in its fifth edition.

Hillman is survived by his wife, Josephine.



Harold Haak, leader of universities, died Dec. 26, 2003, in Fresno, Calif., from an apparent allergic reaction to medicine. He was 68.

Born in Madison, Wis., Haak received his bachelor’s and master’s in political science from the U. of Wisconsin in the 1950s. After a stint in the Navy, he earned his PhD in politics at Princeton, where he was named a Princeton National Fellow and a University Wilson Fellow.

Haak began teaching at San Diego State U. and within a decade moved on to administrative work at Fresno State. Shortly thereafter he became chancellor of the U. of Colorado at Denver, a position he held until his return appointment in 1980 as president of California State U., Fresno.

After nearly 12 years at CSUF, Haak served the California state university system, and then was named president of Fresno Pacific U.

In 2002 the School of Education at CSUF mounted a brick on the “Friends of Education Honor Wall” for Haak’s public service. For many years, Haak conducted alumni interviews of undergraduate applicants to Princeton who lived in the Fresno area.

Haak leaves his wife, Betty, two daughters, and six grandsons.



Thomas McCarthy died of lung cancer May 8, 2003, at his home in Springfield, Va.

Originally from Hyannis, Mass., Tom received his undergraduate training at the U. of Texas in Austin. After receiving his MPA from the Woodrow Wilson School, he settled in the DC area, and began a career as an economic consultant specializing in agricultural and rural development issues. His close friend, Richard Roper *71, former assistant dean of Graduate Career Services at the WWS, recalled that it seemed hard for Tom to engage state-side and that he always looked forward to his next overseas assignment. Such projects included working with the UN Food and Agricultural Organization, the UN International Fund for Agricultural Development, and the World Bank. While Tom’s projects often took him to various parts of Asia and Latin America, friends recalled he was especially fond of his work in Pakistan.

Survivors include his son, Peter; his mother, Frances; two brothers; and a sister.



Charlotte Ellertson, a leading advocate for women’s reproductive rights, died of breast cancer Mar. 21, 2004, in Boston. She was 38.

Born in Johannesburg, South Africa, Ellertson moved to the US with her family at age 13. She attended Harvard, where she studied biological anthropology. At Princeton, she earned an MPA and a PhD in demography and public affairs from the Woodrow Wilson School.

Ellertson’s college experience as an abortion counselor fired her zeal for family planning research and outreach. After graduation, she worked in Kenya as a clinic liaison for a family-planning soap opera broadcast in Swahili. Subsequently she developed research projects and programs dealing with abortion, contraception, sexually transmitted infections, and obstetrics for the Population Council, an international nonprofit science research group.

In 2002 Ellertson founded Ibis Reproductive Health, an international nonprofit focused on women’s reproductive rights research and advocacy. She was instrumental in securing FDA approval of RU-486, an abortion-inducing pill. She also hoped to secure FDA approval for over-the-counter emergency contraception.

In addition to her work, Ellertson loved exotic animals, the Boston Red Sox, and cooking with her young daughters, Marka and Amity. She also is survived by her husband, Paull Hejinian.

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary