July 18, 2007: Memorials

John E. Zacharias ’36

John died June 23, 2006, in Gladwyne, Pa. He was 90.

He entered Princeton from Newark Academy. At Princeton he majored in economics and was manager of the freshman and varsity swimming teams. He was a member of Dial Lodge.

John was a graduate student at New York University School of Business Administration, studied at NYU Law School, worked at U.S. Trust Co. of New York, and served in the Navy in the central Pacific and Marshall Island areas, where he was awarded two Bronze Stars.

After the war he was an executive at the Whitehall and Jamieson pharmaceutical companies and McKesson & Robbins Co., where he was responsible for McKesson Chemical, a major operating unit.

In 1946 he married Muriel Eckes, a graduate of Swarthmore College and Yale Law School. A longtime resident of Wilton, Conn., he was active in community affairs, including serving as treasurer of the Wilton Library. He was class agent for the Class of 1936.

Muriel predeceased John. He is survived by a son, Thomas E. Zacharias ’76; a daughter, Jane Z. Baker; and five grandchildren.

The Class of 1936



Marshall Tiebout “Pete” Gleason Jr. died April 4, 2007.

He was born on Long Island, N.Y., and lived in Garden City, N.Y., Norwalk, Conn., Wheeling, W.Va., New Hope, Pa., Shingle Springs, Calif., and San Jose, Calif. He prepared for Princeton at Phillips Andover Academy, where he was on the track, cross-country, and golf teams.

At Princeton he majored in chemistry and was a member of Cannon Club. After graduation he entered the General Chemical Co. Pete enlisted for duty with the Chemical Warfare Service and later became part of the Army Air Force Intelligence School and the Air Corps Officers.

In civilian life, Pete managed struggling small businesses for more than 30 years. He had been a director of the Gleason-Tiebout Glass Co., expanding the sales of his company’s glassware.

Pete is survived by a son, Marshall T. Gleason III, and a daughter, Jan Gleason.

Our class extends its loving sympathy and fond remembrances to his family and friends.

The Class of 1937



Henry Munn Slauson Jr. died April 15, 2007, at his home.

He was born in Roselle, N.J., lived in Plainfield, N.J., and spent time in Cranford, N.J., as well as in Milton, Vt. He attended the Pingry School and Plainfield High School before coming to Princeton, where he was on the freshman golf squad and sang in the Glee Club.

Henry began his business career at Morgan Stanley, then joined the Army and served as a captain in the Pacific theater, where he was awarded a Bronze Star. After the war he worked at Johnson & Johnson, C.R. Bard, and eventually acquired his own small business, the Don Robinson Corp. He continued his association with the Officers Reserve Corps.

Henry loved Vermont and spent many summers at “Shadycroft,” a cottage where he enjoyed his annual “cousins’ weekend.” He relished his 1949 golf handicap card that qualified him for the New Jersey State Amateur Championship. His hobbies included fishing, golfing, bridge, and singing.

Henry is survived by his wife of 56 years, Elsie Hansel; his sons, Henry III, Francis, and Timothy; and grandchildren, Whitney Henry IV, Alexander, and Matthew. We extend our loving sympathy with our fond remembrances to his family and friends.

The Class of 1937


Eben Wright Pyne ’39

After a brief illness, Eben died April 11, 2007, at his home in Hobe Sound, Fla.

Following graduation, Eben worked briefly in a New York bank, but in 1940 he joined the New York National Guard as a second lieutenant and fought in North Africa and Italy. When enemy fire forced down his small artillery-observation plane, he was briefly taken prisoner, but jumped off his German captors’ truck and escaped to Allied lines with the help of Italian partisans. In 1946 he returned home as a major with a Bronze Star with five battle stars and immediately rejoined the bank that ultimately became Citibank. He was senior vice president of the trust and investment division when he retired in 1982. He continued to serve on many boards of philanthropic organizations.

Early on, Gov. Nelson Rockefeller enlisted Eben to help rescue New York’s tangle of decrepit railroad lines. That led to continuing public service as a commissioner of the New York Transit Authority, Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority, and other public and private posts too numerous to mention.

Eben’s first wife, Hilda, died in 1986. He married Nancy Gray in 1995. She survives him, as do two daughters from his first marriage, Lillian and Alison, five grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren. We offer them our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939


Oren Scotten ’39

Oren died Feb. 17, 2007, in New York, where he had long lived and worked.

He served as captain in the Air Corps from 1942 to 1945, attached to Air Technical Intelligence Headquarters in the United States, and with strategic and tactical air forces in Europe. In 1948 he formed his own company, Scotten Research, which was involved in rocket research and power-plant design. To the end of his life he believed that an engine he was working on — one using hydrogen fuel — would replace the automobile gas engine.

Oren enjoyed family and friends, tennis, golf, skiing, and boating. He was most interested, however, in saving land areas for wildlife.

Oren married Jarate Jasenas, who predeceased him. They had two children, Oren III and Tamaru. We offer them sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939


George Woodthorp Shepherd Jr. ’39 *40

George died suddenly Jan. 30, 2007, at a hospital near his home in Fair Lawn, N.J.

After graduating with a bachelor’s in mechanical engineering, George stayed at Princeton to earn a master’s in mechanical engineering in 1940. He then joined the faculty as an instructor in mechanical engineering. In 1944 he became an assistant professor, serving until 1951 when he joined Philips Electronics North America in Mahwah, N.J. During his active career there, he developed the first baggage-inspection system using low-dose X-rays, and developed various navigation display systems and night-vision devices.

He retired in 1986, enabling him to pursue his deep interest in Bible study and Christian education. He served as elder, clerk of session, and treasurer of First Presbyterian Church of Elmwood Park, N.J. In his home workshop he continued to design and build in his chosen field of engineering.

George married Dorothy Glasser in 1942. She survives, as do their two sons, George W. Shepherd III ’70 and Timothy, and two grandchildren. We offer them our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939



Jack, of Ambler, Pa., and Bethesda, Md., died March 20, 2007, at Chestnut Hill Hospital in Philadelphia.

Jack prepared at Newark Academy and majored in chemistry at Princeton, graduating with high honors and as a member of Sigma Xi. He was a member of the gym team, Triangle Club, and Cannon Club. He attended Columbia University Medical School and served as a doctor in the Army, stationed in Honolulu during World War II.

He taught at Columbia University and later moved to Bethesda, Md., where he pursued cancer research and nuclear medicine as part of the U.S. Public Health Service at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Jack became the first director of the Department of Nuclear Medicine at NIH. He also taught at Duke University Medical School.

He always said his most treasured legacies were his family and the medical students he taught. Among his family activities were scouting, 4-H, camping, painting, soap-box derby, Little League, and swimming.

He was preceded in death by his beloved wife of 54 years, Moira Whelan Davidson, and his daughter, Nancy Parker Davidson. His classmates wish to extend their sincere condolences to his daughter, Jean, and her four children, and his sons, James and Robert, and James’ six children.

The Class of 1940



Bob died March 27, 2007, of complications from pneumonia at Essex (Conn.) Meadows Lifecare Retirement Community.

After preparing at Shady Side Academy and Asheville (N.C.) School, Bob majored in politics at Princeton. He was on the freshman football and baseball teams, JV baseball and golf teams, and the club championship softball and hockey teams. He was on the Intramural Athletic Association board and was the sports director of Cottage Club.

Bob served as a Naval lieutenant, senior grade, during World War II in the Atlantic. In 1943 he married Mildred Puryear of Memphis. He earned an MBA from Harvard Business School in 1950.

The bulk of Bob’s career was spent as an investment counselor with Scudder, Stevens & Clark in Manhattan. In 1955 Bob was elected to a five-year term as our class treasurer; he also was an area Annual Giving agent. An avid golfer and racquet sportsman, he belonged to the Siwanoy and St. Andrews golf clubs and Bronxville Field Club.

He was active in community affairs, coaching Little League, serving on the library board, and volunteering at Lawrence Hospital Center in Bronxville.

His classmates wish to extend their sympathies to his wife, Milly; their three children and spouses, Robert Jr. and Siri, Sara Marshal Gibson, and Nancy and Andy Sareyan; and six grandchildren.

The Class of 1940


Edward Kennedy Torrington ’40

Ken’s wife of 40 years, the former Patricia Flynn, said Ken died peacefully March 26, 2005, his mind sharp to the end, in Big Canoe, Ga.

He prepared at St. George’s School. At Princeton he majored in art and archaeology, achieving second-group honors and graduating with honors. He lettered in swimming, was associate photographic editor of The Daily Princetonian, and was a member of Quadrangle Club.

Just out of college, Ken volunteered for the Naval Reserve, rising to the rank of lieutenant commander with destroyer assignments in the Atlantic and Pacific theaters during World War II.

Ken became a partner in the Kennedy Galleries of New York City in 1945 and he continued there until 1953. Most of the rest of his career, he served as chief photographer for Lindsay Newspapers in Florida. He married Olive Greer in 1946, but they later were divorced.

He was an avid reader and computer devotee. Yachting and aerial photography (for which he earned a pilot’s license) were other interests.

To Patricia; his children from his first marriage, Kennedy Mason Torrington, Victoria Czarnowski, and George Torrington; his stepchildren from his marriage to Patricia, Michele Wuentz, Stephan Miller, and Cynthia Linenberger; and nine grandchildren; Ken’s classmates wish to offer their belated condolences.

The Class of 1940


Rufe died June 10, 2006, after a long career in the paper industry in the Dayton, Ohio, area.

Rufe married Gloria B. Ganiard Oct. 4, 1946, and they had three children, Rufus (now deceased), Donald G., and Margaret H. Worrell.

He prepared at Loomis School. At Princeton, he was on The Daily Princetonian business board and was a member of Cottage Club and the freshman swim team. He left Princeton junior year to attend Carnegie Institute in Pittsburgh, where he took a postgraduate course in printing management.

In 1941, Rufe enlisted in the Army Corps of Engineers, where he served with the 650th Engineer Battalion in New Guinea, the Philippines, and Japan, attaining the rank of captain.

He was employed by Diem & Wing Paper Co. in Dayton as vice president, division manager, and corporate director from 1947 to 1978. Thereafter, until retiring, he was a sales representative of Cincinnati Cordage and Paper Co. Rufe was a recipient of the National Paper Trades Golden Eagle Award.

Rufe and Gloria raised and trained bird dogs. He judged the American Brittany Quail Classic, while Gloria’s Golden Retrievers were entered in obedience and tracking shows. He also was active in the Episcopal Church.

His classmates offer belated condolences to the family.

The Class of 1940

Robert Earl Eastright ’41

Bob died July 7, 2006, in Richmond, Va., after a short illness.

A Blair Academy graduate, Bob majored in biology at Princeton, where he was a member of Theatre lntime and Campus Club.

He entered the Army in 1942, served in the Special Services Division, which produced theatrical and radio shows, and was separated as a captain.

In 1946, Bob began a career in advertising that led to television. First, at Cunningham & Walsh, he was responsible for all television commercials for Chesterfield. In 1950 he moved to Young & Rubicam as an account executive for Goodyear Television Playhouse, What’s My Line?, and many other shows.

He then joined J. Walter Thompson, where he was named creative group head and developed advertising for Ford and Planters Peanuts and was responsible for a number of award-winning commercials. From there he went to N.W. Ayer Advertising before starting his own consulting business in 1972. His efforts won a number of awards, including the Sylvania Television Merit Award and the 1956 Peabody Television Merit Award.

Bob’s wife of 60 years, Patricia Squire Eastright, died Feb. 10, 2007. He is survived by his daughter, Leslie Yoshitani; his sons, Robert and Alan; six grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1941


Sheild died Jan. 6, 2007, after a long bout with Alzheimer’s disease.

A native of Fairfax, Va., he came to Princeton from Episcopal High School in Alexandria, Va. A mathematics major, Sheild played varsity tennis, was treasurer of the International Athletic Association, and treasurer and manager of Tower Club.

During the war, Sheild spent five years in the Navy, largely in the Navy’s planning section in the Charleston Navy Yard. He was separated as a lieutenant. After graduating from Georgetown Law School, Sheild started a law practice in Fairfax, eventually retiring in 1987 as a partner in McGuire Woods. His firm was involved in the development of Reston Town Center as well as malls in Springfield and Tysons Corner.

Former president of the Fairfax Bar Association, Sheild was on the board of the Fairfax Symphony Orchestra and Fairfax County Park Authority. He also was a top-ranked tennis player at Fairfax Racquet Club and the Army-Navy Country Club.

Sheild is survived by his wife of 63 years, Priscilla Totman McCandlish; his children, Fairfax III, Barbara, and Margaret Darby; and five grandchildren.

The Class of 1941


Willard died of heart failure Oct. 28, 2006.

A lifelong resident of Winter Haven, Fla., he majored in politics at Princeton. He was on the freshman football and swimming teams and was in Key and Seal. He roomed with Henry Pitts from sophomore year on.

During the war he spent three-and-a-half years in the Field Artillery Brigade in support of the French First Army. Separating as a lieutenant colonel, he was awarded the Bronze Star and the Croix de Guerre.

Returning to Florida, Willard and his brother Fred transformed their father’s citrus business into Wm. G. Roe & Sons, worldwide packers, shippers, and marketers of citrus products. He was president of Florida’s Citrus Showcase, which played a leading role in building the Orange Dome. In 1992 Willard was honored for his lifetime achievements by the Florida Citrus Hall of Fame. He helped establish the Lake Region Yacht and Country Club, where he was commodore.

Willard was predeceased by his daughter, Marjorie Rosemary Roe. He is survived by his wife of 57 years, Marjorie Henderson Roe; six children, Ellen Miller, Donna Danielle, Martha Burke, Bill, Quentin, and Morgan; and three grandchildren.

The Class of 1941


Les died Sept. 29, 2006.

Born in Elizabeth, N.J., he came to Princeton from the Peddie School. He majored in chemistry, was a member of the crew, and roomed with his lifelong friend, Ralph Richards.

He always was involved in sailing. After graduation he joined the Coast Guard and captained a large sailboat off Greenport, N.Y., doing offshore anti-submarine patrol in the North Atlantic.

Les worked for General Motors for 31 years and retired as assistant zone manager in Tarrytown, N.Y. Initially retiring to Kilmarnock, Va., he and his wife, Lottie, sailed to Florida and the Bahamas. Later retiring to Florida, Les continued sailing with Tarpon Bay Yacht Club. Last year he moved to Dunwoody Village in Newtown Square, Pa., to be near his son and grandchildren.

Les was predeceased by Lottie, his wife of 51 years, and by his son, Jeffrey. He is survived by another son, Lester, and five grandchildren.

The Class of 1941


Ed, an eminent pioneer of pediatric ophthalmology, died April 12, 2007, after falling at home in Evansville, Ind.

A graduate of New York Military Academy, he majored in biology at Princeton, joined Elm Club, and left after junior year to attend Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons. Following a surgical internship at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, Ed served two years in the Army medical department. He married Doris Noelting, now deceased, in 1946.

Ed fulfilled his residency in ophthalmology at Barnes Hospital in St. Louis before moving to Evansville in 1950. Six years later he focused his practice on children’s eye problems and became only the third pediatric surgeon in the United States, pioneering many new developments in the field. He was a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a diplomate of the American Board of Ophthalmologists. Endowed with a quiet sense of humor, an easygoing nature, and powerful intellect, he was a popular speaker at medical schools.

Starting as a teenager, Ed was a worldwide traveler alone and with Doris and their three children. He loved gardening and enjoyed golf. Ed will be remembered for his kindness, patience, thoughtfulness, and “amendments to Murphy’s Law.”

Ed is survived by his three children, Katherine, Edward Jr., and Elizabeth, and two grandchildren.

The Class of 1942


Jim died of cancer Feb. 5, 2007, at his home in Deep River, Conn.

He was for many years associate professor of virology at Rockefeller University, making significant discoveries using electron microscopy on the morphology of influenza virus, and applying computer protocols to laboratory projects as early as the 1970s.

Born in Manhattan, he prepped at Milton (Mass.) Academy. At Princeton he roomed at 15 Edwards Place, then later in Blair, and majored in biology in the accelerated wartime program. Jim was publicity manager of Theatre Intime, but left us in 1942 for military service and medical school. He graduated second in his class from Johns Hopkins University in 1945.

Jim spent almost every summer of his life on Mount Desert Island and was happiest cruising the Maine coast or racing his Cal 48 sailboat, with his children and their friends as crew. He retired from Rockefeller University in 1989.

Jim is survived by Victoria, his wife of 43 years; sons James B. ’73 and William L.; daughters Wendy Bickford, Carol Lyden, and Alice ’88; and 11 grandchildren, all of whom he lauded in our 60th-reunion book. Our sincere condolences go to his family. We have lost a wise, dedicated, and civil gentleman.

The Class of 1944


Jack died April 21, 2007, after a short illness, in his home on Wilmington Island, Savannah, Ga.

Jack came to us from Lawrenceville. At Princeton he roomed with Ned Kelley, Linc Johnson, Jim Crawford, and Bill Tiernan. He was a member of Cottage Club and won a letter on a 150-pound undefeated (and unscored-upon) football team, and another letter as a high jumper.

After earning a bachelor’s in political science in 1943, he commanded an all-black Marine Corps unit in the Pacific. This began Jack’s pursuit of two lifelong interests — civil rights and teaching English. Jack taught English at the University of Virginia, then chaired English departments (and coached football or tennis) at St. Louis Country Day School, The Hun School, and Belmont (Mass.) High School — the last for 20 years — while winning appointments to national English-teaching commissions. He published textbooks on English usage and teaching poetry.

His memberships included the Princeton Club of Savannah and the Society of the Cincinnati.

Jack is survived by his wife, Eve; two sisters, Elizabeth Walker and Carolyn Glenn; and six children, John A. III, Sarah W., Thomas C., Mary F., David L., and Robert K. Our sincere condolences go to the entire family.

The Class of 1944



A renowned cardiologist and dean of the McGill School of Medicine in Montreal, Pat was born in England, son of doctor and author A.J. Cronin.

At the outbreak of World War II, Pat’s family moved to Greenwich, Conn., and after prep school, Pat entered Princeton with 1947. After a brief stay with us he joined the Royal Canadian Air Force. Following his service he went on to complete his medical studies.

Unlike many of his premed classmates, Pat did not qualify for a Princeton degree because he lacked a sufficient number of terms of study due to his early service with the RCAF. Thus, in his later years, acquiring an undergraduate degree became a cause célèbre with him. Through tenacious effort he reached the ear of Dean of the College Nancy Malkiel, who arranged for him to return to campus for a semester, write a thesis, and receive his bachelor’s degree. This achievement in 2000 earned mention in the Guinness Book of Records as being the longest time between college entrance and awarding of a degree.

Pat died Jan. 13, 2007, in Montreux, Switzerland. To his wife, Sis; their children, David, Diana, and Daphne; and five grandchildren, the class expresses great admiration for our distinguished classmate and love and sympathy on their loss.

The Class of 1947

Richard Stockton Conger ’48

Dick Conger died March 18, 2007, at home in Princeton. He was 80.

Dick was a graduate of the Lawrenceville School. He rowed on Princeton’s crew and was secretary of the class from 1945 to 1946.

His senior thesis defined his lifelong interest in international relations and political science, leading to participation in environmental conferences in Stockholm in 1972 and Nairobi in 1974. He earned a doctorate from the University of Hawaii in 1997.

Dick is survived by his wife of 50 years, Faith; four children; and seven grandchildren.

The Class of 1948


Ed died Feb. 14, 2007, at the age of 81.

He prepared for Princeton at Science Hill High School in Rural Retreat, Va., and after serving as a chaplain’s assistant in the Navy during World War II. After graduation he attended Princeton Theological Seminary, graduating in 1951. He received his Ph.D. from Columbia (S.C.) Theological Seminary in 1958.

After ordination Ed served as pastor in churches in New Jersey, New York, Virginia, Tennessee, and Missouri. In 1979 he founded Vanderbilt Presbyterian Church in Naples, Fla., and served as senior pastor until his retirement in 1994. He was a professionally trained singer and a gifted poet and writer, appreciated for his intellect and sense of humor.

Ed is survived by his wife, Louise; daughters Joy Yoder and Nan; son Charles; and five grandchildren. The class joins them in their sense of loss for this fine Christian gentleman.

The Class of 1949


Steve died Jan. 12, 2007, after a long battle with supranuclear palsy and cancer. He was 79.

He prepared at Vermont Academy, and at Princeton he majored in history. He was a member of the bicker committee and was secretary-treasurer of Cannon Club.

Steve spent his professional life in the field of commercial real estate in New Jersey. He started as a salesman at Alexander Summer Co. and ended his career as president. He handled transactions in land and in industrial and commercial real estate. His clients included numerous prestigious accounts in northern New Jersey, including Jaguar, Sharp, Grand Union, Nabisco, and Transamerica. He was highly respected by his peers, who considered him an outstanding salesman. He was also a low-par golfer and an avid tennis player.

Steve is survived by his wife, Marcia; his sons, Stephen, Christopher, and Timothy; a daughter, Jennifer; a stepdaughter, Leslie Cimel; and his brother, Brad ’46. The class sorrows with them on their loss of this man who enjoyed life very much.

The Class of 1949


John died Nov. 6, 2006, after a long illness. He was 78,

He prepared for Princeton at West End High School in Nashville, Tenn. He initially majored in English but left for Army service in Korea and Germany. Upon his return he switched his major to modern languages and literature, earning a Princeton Ph.D. in German in 1966. He was a member of Prospect Club, where he was the mountain tenor in the club’s popular folk-song group.

John began his teaching career in German at Wabash College in 1958 and then moved to SUNY at Stony Brook, from which he retired in 1997. At Stony Brook he led the development of computer-assisted instruction in German, published textbooks, and translated numerous 17th- and 18th-century German literary works. Also at Stony Brook, John served as an exchange professor in Westerstede, Germany, and Krakow, Poland. After retirement he continued to translate major German works into English. He also enjoyed philately.

John was predeceased by his wife, Beth. He is survived by a son, Evan; two daughters, Edith and Molly Ling; and three grandchildren. The class extends deepest sympathy to them on their loss of this fine educator.

The Class of 1949


Pete died in Hawaii March 29, 2007. He was aptly described by a young granddaughter who told him, “Grandad, you’re four important things — you’re a father, a grandfather, a colonel, and a teacher.”

Born in New York City, Pete graduated from Landon School. At Princeton, where his father was Class of 1904, he majored in history, and was active in Cottage Club, Triangle Club, The Daily Princetonian, Orange Key, rugby, and freshman football. He earned a master’s in history in 1968 from American University.

He retired from the Marine Corps as a colonel in 1979. His 30 years in the military included front-line action in Korea as a platoon commander, service as a combat intelligence officer in Vietnam, and assignments in Washington, Latin America, Europe, and the Mediterranean.

After his retirement, Pete spent 23 years teaching advanced history courses at the Iolani School in Hawaii. Greatly respected by his students and colleagues, Pete was recognized as a Presidential Distinguished Teacher in 1992 and was awarded a national prize for excellence in secondary school teaching in 2000.

We fondly remember Pete as host of our 2004 Hawaiian mini-reunion, and join his wife, Margaret; his children, Elizabeth and Peter Jr.; five grandchildren; his sisters, Rhoda Hackler, Jean Kanstein, and Alexandra; and his two stepchildren in celebrating his life.

The Class of 1950


Art died of heart failure Feb. 3, 2007, at his home in California.

Art graduated from Manlius Military Academy. At Princeton he was a member of Key and Seal, ROTC, and Skeet Club. He graduated with honors in economics.

Four days after graduation he married Susan Wright. Nine months and 13 days later his first-born, our class baby, David Arthur, arrived. This occurred while Art was serving as a forward artillery observer with the 7th Cavalry in Korea. In 1953, he returned to New Jersey, where he worked for Warner-Lambert and American Standard.

In 1960, Art relocated his family to California. After his divorce in 1965, he moved abroad and traveled extensively on his 65-foot ketch, Cayuga II. From its berth in Sausalito, he spent 17 years in real-estate investments.

Art married Marge Kral in 1976. They both loved to travel and did so, almost without pause, for the rest of Art’s life. They lived briefly in Venice, his favorite city, skied in Switzerland, rafted major whitewater rivers and “RV-ed” in Mexico. All this was with his beloved cat, NoName.

Art’s son, Richard, predeceased him in 2001. To Marge; his sons David and Daniel and their families; and Richard’s family, we offer our sincerest sympathy.

The Class of 1950


Jim, a native of New Jersey, died in Alabama Feb. 27, 2007. He had been afflicted by Parkinson’s disease.

A graduate of Choate, he served in the Navy’s submarine service from 1943 to 1946. Jim came from a large Princeton family. His father was in the Class of 1916, and eight of his cousins were Princeton graduates. While at Princeton, he played soccer his first two years, sang in the choir, and was a member of Tower Club. He graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering.

Jim had a long career with Chevron, during which he had assignments in Texas, Louisiana, and Bahrain. In 1986, he retired in Midland, Texas, as a senior design and construction engineer. Four years later, he and Mary, his wife of 54 years, moved to Pensacola, Fla. In recent years, they lived in nearby Spanish Fort, Ala.

We extend our sympathy to Mary; his daughters, Susan Marie Sarley and Nancy Ann Hermsen; and three grandchildren.

The Class of 1950


Bill was born on Christmas Day 1929, the son of William Weeks Brinckerhoff ’26. He died of cancer Nov. 12, 2006.

A cum laude graduate of Phillips Exeter Academy, Bill majored in chemistry at Princeton. He was active in WPRU, was a member of the camera and Republican clubs, and was president of Cloister Inn. He roomed with Jack Lauff.

Upon receiving a master’s in chemical engineering from Johns Hopkins in 1953, he served for two years in the Army Chemical Corps. For 30 years thereafter Bill was a writer and account manager for numerous technical-product companies at their advertising and public-relations agencies, after which he served as president and chairman of the National Institute of Social Sciences in New York and Palm Beach.

His marriage to Deborah Beard ended in divorce. In 1989 he married the former Natalie Grace, who survives him, as do his children, Carol Henderson and William; his stepchildren, Edouard and Morgan Dejoux; grandchildren Madeline, Graham, and Pierce Henderson and Andrew and Emily Brinckerhoff; his brother, Sidney Burr Brinckerhoff ’56; and his cousin, Peter R. Brinckerhoff ’64. Bill was a member of the Society of Colonial Wars of the State of Florida and of the Holland Society.

The Class of 1951


John was born Dec. 16, 1928, in Lexington, Ky.

He served in the Army during the Korean War and then returned to Princeton, where he was a politics major, sang in the Chapel Choir, and was a member of Charter Club. His career was in marketing and advertising, principally for General Electric, Whirlpool, and the Providence Journal Co.

Originally a huntsman with the Spring Creek Bassets of the Greater Chicago area, he ran the National Basset Pack Trials in Aldie, Va., for years each spring and fall. He also was steward at the annual Bryn Mawr Hound Show at the Radnor (Pa.) Hunt Club, and was a longtime supporter of the Tewksbury (N.J.) Foot Bassets.

In 1979, John married Katherine “Kathy” Greenland Hubbard Moore of Cazenovia, N.Y. They were seasonal residents of Sanibel Island and Cazenovia. John died Nov. 22, 2006, in Fort Myers of coronary disease, and after a funeral service at St. Mark’s in Louisville was interred in Cazenovia. Kathy and his son from a previous marriage, John E. III, had predeceased him. He is survived by his brother, H. Alexander LaForrest Campbell; nephews Alex and Peter Campbell; and niece Nancy Odear Dopita.

The Class of 1951


Charlie was born Oct. 24, 1929, in Milwaukee.

His forebear and namesake had come to Wisconsin from Maine and in 1849 founded the Marshall & Ilsley Bank with Samuel Marshall. Charlie came to us from the Asheville School, majored in economics, roomed with David Fogle and Dick Warren, was active in Glee Club and Triangle, and belonged to Tower Club.

After graduation he served for four years in the Navy as a fighter pilot. While stationed in Washington, D.C., he co-founded Hexagon, the musical review that continues to this day. Since Hexagon included women, the founders simply doubled the Triangle name.

Charlie earned a master’s in education from Harvard and also studied at the universities of Geneva, Wisconsin, and Michigan. He was assistant headmaster at the Breck School in Minneapolis for two years and taught at the Kingsbury School in Oxford, Mich., for five. For a period of time he ran the Ilsley School in Rochester, Mich.

Charlie died in Florida Aug. 28, 2006, of throat cancer. He is survived by his son, David Laurence Ilsley; grandchildren Lauren, Ryan, and Anne; and his sister, Lloyd Cutler.

The Class of 1951


Jeff Wright died Feb. 20, 2007, in Paris, succumbing after a long fight against the effects of four strokes since 1995.

A native of Pasadena, Calif., Jeff prepared for Princeton at Cate School in Santa Barbara.

After entering Princeton he attained instant notoriety as a member of a gang of four who, in a daring nighttime caper, scaled the Nassau Hall bell tower and stole the

clapper. Thereafter, he majored in modern languages, served in the NROTC, rowed on the freshman lightweight crew, and belonged to Colonial Club.

After a stint in the Navy and four years in stateside businesses, Jeff worked in Italy, Germany, Switzerland, and Belgium, first for Lockheed, then as managing director of Sweco Europe, and finally was self-employed in aircraft sales. He retired to Provence, then moved to Paris because of poor health.

A lifelong sailor, Jeff, with his family as crew, sailed the seas surrounding Western Europe from the Aegean to the Baltic. He made time for Princeton, serving as president of the Princeton Club of Brussels.

Jeff leaves his devoted wife, Sara; his children, Jeff, Catherine, and Elizabeth; and eight grandchildren. All of them, as well as a host of his friends, gathered for his memorial service at the American Cathedral in Paris.

The Class of 1952


We have just learned that Chuck, a singer of note at the Peddie School and a stalwart member of our freshman and varsity glee clubs, died of heart failure Sept. 7, 2001, in Scottsdale, Ariz.

Chuck also sang in the Octet, roomed with Jay Ora and Carl Steinfield, and dined with them at Key and Seal Club. As a freshman he met Jessie Collins at a concert at the Beard School, at which she was a student and sang in the glee club. They began dating, and she was a student at Goucher College when they married in 1951.

He was majoring in politics when he left Princeton the end of his junior year to take courses at Columbia and work on Wall Street. Later the Kushells moved to Arizona, where Chuck formed a commercial-finance company, set up a firm to make missile nozzles, and even did some home building.

For hobbies, he managed amateur baseball teams and raised bulldogs. He became an American Kennel Club judge for nonsporting, sporting, and six working dog breeds, which took him all over the country and to England.

We are sorry to have lost contact with our good-humored and multifaceted classmate and send warm wishes to Jessie and sons Charles J. IV and Randall M., a twin of Chuck’s late daughter, Katherine Isabel.

The Class of 1953

John G. Campbell ’54

John Campbell died March 28, 2007, at his home in Vero Beach, Fla., following a two-year bout with pancreatic cancer.

Born in Chicago, he graduated from New Trier High School in Winnetka, Ill. At Princeton, he was a history major and a member of Quadrangle Club, and was active in many campus activities. He spent the four years after Princeton in the Navy and then, like his father, became an attorney after graduating from Harvard Law School.

Beginning in the 1960s, he served as general legal counsel to the American Osteopathic Association for more than 30 years. In 1987 he formed a new law practice with 36 attorneys, and the firm was named McCullough, Campbell & Lane.

The class extends its sympathy to his wife, Sally; his son, John; his daughter, Elizabeth; and two granddaughters.

The Class of 1954


Mat died April 11, 2007, in Princeton after a valiant struggle against Parkinson’s disease.

Born in New York City he attended Pomfret School. At Princeton, Mat majored in sociology, was a member of Charter, and senior year roomed with Rod Ferris and Arthur Pew.

After graduation he joined the family investment business, Delafield & Delafield, and in 1970 founded the firm of Delafield, Harvey, Tabell. This company was purchased by United States Trust in 1992, and Mat remained with it until his retirement in 1995.

Tim and Martha Rogers stayed in touch with Mat and his wife, Louise, over the years and marveled at his good spirits, enthusiasm for life, and determination to combat his debilitating disease. This was evident by his participation in our 45th reunion.

Mat is survived by Louise, four stepchildren, and three grandchildren. He was predeceased by a son, Livy. To Louise and the family, the class extends deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1955

W. Eric Aiken ’57

Eric died Oct. 1, 1997. Princeton only recently learned of his death since he had lost connection with the University after leaving. He earned a bachelor’s in English from UCLA.

After graduation, Eric pursued a journalism career. In the 1960s he was associated with Electronics magazine, a McGraw-Hill publication.

His first marriage ended in divorce but produced one daughter, Elizabeth. In 1965 he married Susan Morris. He also served in the Marine Corps.

No further history of Eric is known. The class sends its sympathy to his wife and daughter.

The Class of 1957

Daniel R. Childs ’57

Dan died tragically March 4, 2007, while diving off Grand Cayman in the Cayman Islands.

He was born in New York City and came to Princeton from the Portsmouth Abbey School. He transferred to Harvard after sophomore year in order to marry his sweetheart, Margaret Burden.

He received a bachelor’s in physics and a master’s in business from Harvard. He worked at Morgan Stanley and was a partner at William A.M. Burden & Co., his wife’s family’s investment firm. He loved cooking, fishing, gardening, photography, and especially his large family.

The class sends its sympathy to Margaret; their children, Shirley, Constance, Florence, Nicholas, Kay, Frederick, and Alexander; and 22 grandchildren.

The Class of 1957

Henry H. Beam ’60

Henry Beam died of heart failure Dec. 21, 2006, at his home in Kalamazoo, Mich.

Born in Detroit, he prepared at Cranbrook School, and at Princeton majored in basic engineering. He was a member of Key and Seal Club, Orange Key, the Outing Club, and the Nassau Herald staff. Henry played varsity squash and club football and softball. Commissioned an officer in the Navy through the NROTC program, he served four years on active duty and, after commanding three Naval Reserve units, retired as a captain in 1987.

Leaving active duty in the Navy, he earned a Ph.D. in business administration at the University of Michigan. He then joined the management department faculty at Western Michigan University, where he taught graduate and undergraduate courses in business policy until his death.

Henry also served on the board of directors of the YMCA, played and umpired tennis, and was president of the board of trustees of Kalamazoo Academy, a private, coeducational, nondenominational school for grades K-8.

Henry’s wife of 39 years, Judy, and their children, Caroline M. ’91, Catherine, and Henry H. Jr., survive him. The class extends its sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1960


Bob Williams died peacefully of cancer Sept. 27, 2006, at his home in Briarcliff Manor, N.Y.

Born in Pittsburgh, he attended Mount Lebanon public schools and majored in electrical engineering at Princeton, where he was a member of Tower Club. After graduation, he earned an MBA in marketing at the University of Pittsburgh. He served in a wide variety of internationally focused corporate positions, including sales, product development, program direction, and site management during a career at IBM that spanned four decades.

Bob was active in the Episcopal Church in a number of vestry and stewardship roles and, as a member of the Briarcliff Manor School Board Property Committee, he successfully shepherded a plan to create a new middle school wing and new auditorium for the school.

Bob’s wife of 41 years, Barbara; his brother, Charles Williams ’55; sons Matthew, Christopher, and Rob ’89; and two grandchildren, Anneka and Theron, survive him. The class extends its sympathy to his family.

The Class of 1960

Terry A. Johnston ’61

We lost Terry April 26, 2007, after a long battle with leukemia. He had lived in Margate, N.J., since 1972.

Born in Plainfield, he came to Princeton from the Pingry School. At Princeton he majored in biology, ate at Quad, worked at the ticket agency, and was on the Princeton Tiger staff. Following medical school at Tufts, he served in the Navy and then embarked on a distinguished career in radiology, chiefly with the AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center and as a partner of Atlantic Medical Imaging. In 1994 he was named a fellow of the American College of Radiology, an honor granted to very few. These brief words do not begin to describe his service to his profession.

Terry was similarly committed to Princeton — active in Annual Giving, class events and activities, the Schools Committee, and more — so much so that, as he wished, he was cremated in his Reunions outfit. Terry had many interests and hobbies (investing in Broadway and off-Broadway musicals, for example) and, as daughter Jenny ’94 said in her eulogy, “a host of idiosyncrasies that charmed those around him.”

He is survived by Dot, his wife of 42 years, and two children, Terry Jr. and Jenny, to whom we send our sympathies.

The Class of 1961



Roger died Jan. 29, 2007, after a courageous yearlong battle with cancer.

A native of Greensboro, N.C., Roger graduated from Princeton cum laude in history. Upon graduation he almost immediately distinguished himself as a leader and entrepreneur in the ocean shipping industry, becoming president of Transoceanic Shipping Co. and Gulfship Marine. In New Orleans, his home of many years, he founded Intermarine in 1990, and it became America’s largest provider of specialized breakbulk project transportation, with offices in cities throughout the world.

Roger was known for innovative solutions in a traditional industry as well as for an emphasis on personal service. His leadership in business was complemented by personal charisma, charm, and intelligence, and a zest for life. His classmates remember him as a sparkling man and a superb friend.

Most of all, his life was graced by his adored wife, Danielle Haynes Kavanagh; sons Zachary and Dylan; and daughter Sophie. Their courage and love through Roger’s illness gave him enormous strength.

Son of the late Roger P. Kavanagh Jr. ’40, Roger also is survived by his brother, Basil. He will be greatly missed by family, friends, business associates, and his beloved city of New Orleans.

The Class of 1975


Karen Eloise Kenney ’77

Karen died Sept. 26, 2005, two weeks into a planned seven-week vacation in Australia with her husband, Thomas Brown ’75.

Karen, who was born in Brooklyn Nov. 9, 1953, and attended high school in Milan, Italy, entered Princeton with the Class of 1975 and graduated with ’77 after majoring in Romance languages and literatures. She went on to earn an MBA from the University of Colorado in 1984. Later she obtained her CPA certificate. She began her career in the tax practice at Arthur Andersen in Denver, became vice president of financial performance and tax at J.D. Edwards, and later became vice president of tax at PeopleSoft.

As an alumna, she served with the Alumni Schools Committee in Denver. Besides Tom, she is survived by her stepmother, Judith Downie of London; her nieces, Jaime and Emily Robinson; her sister-in-law and brother-in-law, Vada and David Robinson; and her mother-in-law, Edith Brown. To all of them, the class expresses its condolences.

The Class of 1977


Robert R. Malin ’82

Bob Malin died suddenly of a heart attack June 23, 2006, while jogging during a family vacation in Rome.

Bob majored in economics at Princeton, played two years of football, was vice president of the Karate Club, and was a member of Dial Lodge, where he rarely missed Wednesday-Night Club. After Princeton, Bob worked in finance. At the time of his death, he was managing director and co-head of Citigroup’s asset-backed finance group. Bob was highly respected in his field as an innovative thinker and a generous mentor.

Bob’s family meant the world to him. They lived in Manhattan and had a second home on the Connecticut shore. Bob was a competitive sailor, a regular at the gym, a wine enthusiast, a volunteer public-school tutor, and a lifelong music lover — a pastime that led him to establish a rock-music program at his son’s school. He was a shining example of how to balance career success with a loving family life and pursuit of a variety of interests.

The class extends deepest sympathy to Bob’s wife, Gina; his children, Andrew, Isabelle, and Christina; his parents, Donna and Richard; his siblings, Tom and Cindy; and his extended family and many friends.

The Class of 1982

Gayle Williams Rutherford ’82

Gayle Rutherford died April 10, 2007, after a long struggle with lupus. She was 46.

Born in Buffalo, Gayle studied biology as an undergraduate and resided at Princeton Inn College (Forbes), where friends called her “Little Gayle” because of her small frame and matriculation at a youthful 17.

After earning a medical degree from Georgetown, Gayle completed a residency in ophthalmology at the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Center, then a fellowship in vitreoretinal surgery at the Alton S. Ochsner Medical Foundation in New Orleans. She spent several years on the staffs of Kaiser Permanente in Washington, D.C., and Retina Associates in northern Virginia before establishing a private practice in Chesapeake, Va., where she taught ophthalmology at the Eastern Virginia Medical School. She was a fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology and member of the American Society of Retina Specialists.

Survivors include Gayle’s husband of 17 years, Herbert Rutherford III; her parents, Darcy and Jessie Williams; three stepsisters and seven stepbrothers, including Richard L. Davis *80; and a Komondor named Maestro. Gayle’s many professional accomplishments were balanced by eclectic tastes in food and music, a passion for politics and literature, and an unrelenting devotion to family and patients that will be sorely missed.

The Class of 1982

Graduate Alumni

Irving E. Alexander *49

Irving E. Alexander, an emeritus professor of psychology at Duke University, died Jan. 3, 2007, of a heart attack. He was 84.

At Duke, Alexander served 11 years as department chair, and taught, counseled, trained, and consulted at the Durham Veterans Administration Hospital and in the Halifax County school system.

Among his contributions to psychological research were his efforts (with Silvan Tomkins) to posit that emotional states, and not unconscious drives (which was Freud’s belief), are the primary factors in human behavior.

During World War II, Alexander served as a bombardier, and completed 35 missions over Germany. He then completed his bachelor’s at the University of Alabama and earned a master’s in experimental psychology. In 1947, he entered Princeton and by 1949 completed a second master’s and a Ph.D. in psychology. His dissertation helped bring about the now-standard requirement that airfield workers wear protective ear-gear.

He rose to associate professor at Princeton before leaving in 1958 for an administrative position at the National Institute of Mental Health. In 1962, he joined Duke as a full professor.

He was predeceased by his wife, Pearl, whom he married while on military leave in 1944. He is survived by two children and three grandchildren.

Siobhán Marie Kilfeather *89

Siobhán Kilfeather died April 7, 2007, of melanoma. She was 49.

Born in Belfast, Northern Ireland, she received a bachelor’s from Selwyn College, Cambridge, and spent several years involved in poetic and political circles in Belfast before coming to Princeton. After receiving a Ph.D. in English, she taught at Columbia University in New York and at Sussex University in England before returning to Belfast and Queen’s University in 2005.

According to Paul Muldoon, Howard G.B. Clark ’21 University Professor in the Humanities and director of the University Center for the Creative and Performing Arts, “Siobhán was a major figure in Irish studies, particularly in her repossession of previously little-known 18th-century writers whose work, like her own, is less showy than sustained, less pumped-up than persistent.”

Kilfeather edited works by Maria Edgeworth and Louisa May Alcott; published Dublin: A Cultural and Literary History (2005); and led the editorial team of the Field Day Anthology of Irish Writing, volumes 4 and 5 (2002), which focused on women writers.

She is survived by her husband, Peter Jameson, and their children, Constance and Oscar. The English Department at Princeton has started a fund in Kilfeather’s honor to support graduate student research.


This issue has undergraduate memorials for George Woodthorp Shepherd Jr. ’39 *40 and John Raymond Russell ’49 *66.


Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary