Memorials: November 27, 1996

Howard Carson Blake '24
Howard C. Blake died May 20, 1996. He was 92. He was born in St. Louis, Mo. He prepared at Lawrenceville. While at Princeton, Howard met Frank Buchman, founder of the Oxford Group, which later become Moral Re-Armament (MRA). He studied at Princeton Theological Seminary and Mansfield College in Oxford.
Howard spent 32 years with MRA in Scandinavia. In Denmark he helped build a team that later played a key role in the resistance movement against Hitler.
In 1960 Howard began serving as pastor of the First Presbyterian Church in Weslaco, Tex. Among his many accomplishments were the conferences he organized and his writings, including a book titled Way To Go: Adventures in Search of God's Will.
He married Margaret "Peggy" Stewardson of Philadelphia in 1929, and they had three children: Alice Blake Chaffee, Peter Carson B., and the late John H. of the U.S. Marine Corps. Peggy died in 1982, and in 1988 Howard married Margaret "Migs" Rickert, of Washington, D.C. Migs survives, as do his daughters, and four grandsons.
The Class of 1924

Chalkley Jay Hambleton '34
Jay Hambleton, whose first job after college was in the mailroom of Harris Trust and Savings Bank in Chicago, and who rose to become president and retired in 1977 as vice-chairman, died Sept. 16, 1996, in the bank's building in the Loop. He was also board chairman of the Newberry Library, where he had just embarked on a new project for the library's Center in American Indian History.
In past years Jay served as chairman of the Chicago Chapter of the Red Cross Defense Blood Program, v.p. of the Welfare Council of Metropolitan Chicago, and a member of the boards of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, the John G. Shedd Aquarium, the Latin School of Chicago, and the Glenwood School for Boys. He was also on the corporate boards of G. D. Searle Co. and Foster Petroleum Corp. During WWII, he served as a lt. commander in the Navy.
Jay was married in 1952 to Betty Davis, who died in 1993. Surviving are two sons, Chalkley J. Jr. and Douglas McMurray, and five grandchildren. To them we offer our sincere sympathy.
The Class of 1934

William B. Elliott '35
Bill Elliott died Sept. 5, 1996, at his home in Colorado Springs, Colo., where he had lived for many years. He was 84. Born in Chicago, Bill came to Princeton from the Berkshire School in Massachusetts. He was a football player and oarsman at both prep school and college. He was a member of Cottage, he danced in the Triangle Club chorus, and he majored in politics. His father and an uncle were Princeton graduates.
After graduation Bill was owner of an Intl. Harvester dealership in Colorado. Came the war and his service with the field artillery in Africa and Europe, from which he returned as a lt. colonel. He married a British girl, Diane Turner, in 1947 and they had three children, Gay, William B. II (Buck), and Sandra. The children in turn blessed their parents with eight grandchildren.
Postwar, Bill owned and operated the Colorado Springs Equipment Co. as well as pursuing many civic responsibilities and recreational activities. He and Diane belonged to several country clubs and traveled regularly. Bill was an outdoorsman and enthusiastic fisherman. The class extends most sincere condolences to Diane and the family.
The Class of 1935

Dean Hill Jr. '37
Dean Hill died Sept. 6, 1996, of leukemia. He was an indefatigable worker in the vineyards of our class and of Princeton, working on reunion committees, class dinners, Annual Giving, the 1959 $53-million special gifts committee, the Eddie Zanfrini Fund, and our 50th yearbook. He engineered the 1957 insuranceJanney bequest'37 fund, presenting Pres. Dodds, who entered Princeton with our class, with over $300,000 for the 1937 Dormitory. He was class president (195257) and secretary (195962).
At Bronxville H.S., Dean was a standout in football, basketball, and baseball, a class officer, and he was active in drama. Coming to Princeton, he majored in geology and continued playing the three sports, including captaining the baseball team in our senior year. His club was Tiger Inn.
Following graduation, Dean tried out with the N.Y. Giants baseball team, but instead he went to Benton & Bowles for two years. He then moved to Time Inc.'s advertising department for the rest of his career, managing the Philadelphia office from 1949 until returning to their NYC office, from which he retired in 1973. Dean joined the Navy before Pearl Harbor. He tested flying boats at the Glenn Martin Co., then piloted heavy patrol bombers over the seas of the ETO and Africa, emerging as a lt. commander.
Dean leaves behind his wife, Lucinda; son Ted '73 with two children; a sister; and nephew Jim Morgan '63, who has two Princeton-graduate daughters.
The Class of 1937

Henry David Richardson '39
Henry died May 26, 1996, at Hilton Head Island, S.C., where he had lived since his retirement in 1972. A longtime resident of Summit, N.J., his entire career centered around accounting, financial planning, and programming, first with ColgatePalmolive, then with IBM World Trade Corp., which he joined in 1957, remaining there for 15 years.
In retirement he was very active in Hilton Head affairs. He served as volunteer treasurer of the Children's Center, the Unitarian Fellowship, the Princeton Club, and the Hilton Head Land Trust. He was active in the Barbershoppers, the Community Playhouse, Friends of the Library, and the Hilton Head Philatelic Society. He liked to travel, and we recall that he regarded the class trip to Russia in 1969 as a highlight of his Princeton memories.
Henry's wife, Mary Kanouse, died in 1993. Their daughter, Elizabeth (Mrs. David Helprin), and son David survive, as do four grandchildren and one great grandchild. We offer them our sincere sympathy.
The Class of 1939

William E. Colby '40
The death of former CIA Director Bill Colby in a canoeing accident on Apr. 27, 1996, marks the tragic loss of one of '40's most distinguished and noteworthy members. Bill's remarkable public service career included WWII days as an OSS agent, a Cold War warrior leading clandestine operations in Europe and Asia, and finally as CIA director.
Bill was an individual of strong convictions, immense courage, and unshakable principle. When the CIA's clandestine activities came under congressional investigation, Bill cooperated with the congressional authorities feeling it an essential opportunity to educate Congress, the press, and the public about the agency and its projects. Bill wrote in his memoirs, "The agency's survival could only come from understanding, not hostility, built on knowledge, not faith."
In retirement Bill remained energetic with lecturing, law practice, and national and international consulting. He spoke out in behalf of nuclear arms reduction and founded the American Committee for Free Vietnam. He was senior editor of Strategic Weekly Briefings. He also was creating a computer game about espionage and counter-terrorism.
He is survived by his wife, Sally SheltonColby, and his children from a first marriage, Jonathan, Carl, Paul, and Christine, and six grandchildren. Courage and integrity under pressure were centerpieces in Bill Colby's career and '40 proudly recognizes the accomplishments of this patriotic and dedicated classmate.
The Class of 1940

Robert Wright Forsyth Jr. '41
Bob Forsyth died from pneumonia in Retreat Hospital in Richmond, Va., Aug. 12, 1996. He was a great-great-great grandson of Chief Justice John Marshall, and his father was a member of the Class of '08.
Born in Baltimore, Bob attended Phillips Exeter and majored in architecture at Princeton but withdrew early to join the Army Air Corps. He piloted an A20 and somehow survived 75 missions over North Africa and Italy which earned him the Distinguished Flying Cross and other decorations. Classmates who know about war-time flying say that the A20, although called a light bomber, was used mostly for low-altitude strafing runs and "could be shot down with a rubber band and a paper clip." In fact enemy fire forced him to crash-land twice. Bob was a production planner with Philip Morris, retiring in 1984. He was a member of St. James Episcopal Church, Sons of the Revolution, the Torch Club, the English Speaking Union, and the Country Club of Virginia.
Survivors include his wife, Frances Bushnell Forsyth, sons Robert W. IV and John B., a sister, Mrs. Nathan Bushnell, and five grandchildren. To them all we extend our deep condolence.
The Class of 1941

Jack L. Mohler '41
Jack died of heart failure on Sept. 29, 1996, at Ashbrook Nursing Home near his Scotch Plains, N.J., home. Virginia Nixon, his wife of nearly 56 years, survives. Together they had formed their own management and consulting organization in 1973, Jack Mohler Associates.
In college Jack ran cross-country, was a 150-lb. gridder, a member of Dial Lodge, business manager of the Nassau Lit, and the manager of the Furniture Exchange. He earned high honors in the Woodrow Wilson School. He roomed with Daubenspeck, Bob Wilson, and J. T. Scott. Following graduation he worked for CBS-TV, Westinghouse Broadcasting, WPAT-TV, and TVAR, a company he helped form.
In the Army he went from Camp Stewart, Ga., as a first lt. to Washington for training in military intelligence. Then came 17 months in the China-Burma-India theater, where he ended up a major. After working with the J. P. Cleaver Co., he was recalled to the Korean War for liaison duty at the Pentagon and the State Dept. He was in the Army Reserve for 30 years, attaining the rank of colonel in 1984. He was a member of the Princeton Club of N.Y., the Nassau Club, and the Reserve Officers Club in Washington, D.C.
In addition to Virginia, Jack is survived by daughter Liz Hunter and three granddaughters. His son, Jack Jr., died three years ago. We mourn the passing of a mercurial man.
The Class of 1941