Memorials - January 27, 1999

Walter L. Morgan '20

Walter L. Morgan, the last surviving member of the Class of '20, died Sept. 2, 1998, at Bryn Mawr [Pa.] Hospital. He was 100.

Walter founded the Vanguard/Wellington Fund. In 1929, he pooled $100,000 from business associates and family members into a single fund to buy stocks and bonds. The fund now has $23 billion in assets and 900,000 shareholders.

Walter prepared at Hillman School. In 1942, he married Helen Dugan, who survives. A football fan, he contributed to the cost of Princeton Stadium and funded several scholarships. He was a trout fisherman and enjoyed hunting with his English setter, Ticker Tape. Walter was an honorary director of the Philadelphia Orchestra and the Academy of Music in Philadelphia. He collected antique furniture and fine wines.

At Walter's memorial service, Vanguard senior chairman John C. Bogle '51 said, "Walter lives on, in our hearts and our minds and our souls, not only for those of us gathered here this morning, but for those many others who know him solely by the glory of his deeds, the strength of his reputation, the high character of his honorable life." The class extends condolences to Walter's family.

The Class of 1920


Philip Heller '29

Phil died July 10, 1998. He prepared for college at Newark Academy, and he came to Princeton as a transfer from Bowdoin at the start of our sophomore year. He belonged to Gateway Club, and his roommates were Brad Hurchins and Phil Goodwin. Phil was on the gym team and won an intercollegiate championship.

Phil's business career began at R.H. Macy in NYC and Hane in Newark. Then he was successively at New Jersey Title Guarantee and Mutual Benefit Life Insurance. He was a life member of the Natl. Assn. of Real Estate Appraisers and president of its New Jersey chapter. During the war he was a lieutenant commander in the Navy.

Phil was very active in work with the Newark Diocese of the Episcopal Church, and he was a Republican county committeeman. In 1932 Phil married Eleanor Cruse, and she survives, as does their daughter, Valrie B. Libman. The class has a special feeling about Phil, as he was our class secretary for five years and also was memorial chair just before the present incumbent. The class extends sincere sympathy to Phil's family.

The Class of 1929


Langdon G. Rankin '30

Langdon G. Rankin of Essex, Conn., died Oct. 26, 1998. He was 90.

Born in Newark, N.J., he was a member of Princeton's Cannon Club. Langdon was headmaster and later headmaster emeritus of East Woods School in Oyster Bay, N.Y. He also taught history and Latin. After his retirement he continued to work as an educational consultant.

In Essex, he was a member of the Essex Library Committee, president of the Essex Historical Society, and a trustee of the Connecticut River Foundation. His primary hobbies were gardening and the construction of ship models.

He is survived by his wife, Frances, daughters Joan R. Davis and Judith R. Codella, two sisters, three grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren. The class extends its sympathy to his family.

The Class of 1930


William Stirling Dickinson '31

Dick Dickinson died Oct. 29, 1998, in an automobile crash in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, where he had lived since 1937. He was returning home from a Patronato Pro Niños board meeting when his car went off a cliff and plunged into rocks 50 feet below.

He prepared at Berkshire School and at Princeton was a member of Clio Hall and Key and Seal Club. In 1932, he went to France as a graduate student of the Chicago Art Institute. From 1942-45, he served in Naval Intelligence and the Office of Strategic Services doing intelligence work in Washington and Italy.

In Mexico his accomplishments and honorary positions were legion. He was president of the Instituto Allende, v.p. of the Red Cross, secretary of the Club Malanquin, president of the Twenty-Four Hour Assn., director of the School for Handicapped Children, treasurer of Escuela Colonia Azteca, manager of the San Miguel de Allende baseball club, a member of Lions Intl., and on the local hospital board. A director of the local arts and crafts school, he was designated Hijo Adoptivo Predilecto of San Miguel at the 400th anniversary of the town's founding (indicating his adoption as a native son).

A bachelor, Dick is survived by his sisters, Dorothy Little and Alice Friendly. The class extends sincere sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1931


Robert Sampson Lanier '31

Robin Lanier died Sept. 9, 1998. He prepared at Cambridge H.S. and Stony Brook School. At Princeton he was chairman of the Undergraduate Library Committee, and a member of the Gym Squad, Intra-Collegiate Athletic Committee, and Court Club.

After graduation Robin entered his chosen field, writing. He was very successful, both at the professional engineering level and for the general reader. He had a wide range of knowledge in AM, FM, and TV broadcasting, cable television, satellite program distribution, program syndication, fiber optics, professional sound recording, and home high-fidelity equipment. His clients included Western Electric Co., Roger Brown & Co., and Harvey Associates. In 1959 he made a goodwill trip to Russia, representing American manufacturers, to show recording equipment and technology and exchange information in the field of high fidelity. Robin had a stint with Consumers Union and BME Magazine and wrote articles for the NY Times, NY Times Sunday Magazine, Architectural Forum, Stereo Quarterly, Stereo and High Fidelity Magazine, and for the Audio Engineering Society. He traveled to Japan for Sony to visit its organization and plants and write about its production of sound equipment.

Robin is survived by his wife, Madi; daughters Mary Day Wollheim, Sabina Massenger, and Kate; and son Christopher. The class extends its sympathy to the entire family.

The Class of 1931


Samuel Sydney Woody Jr. '31

Sam died Sept. 17, 1998, in Abington Memorial Hospital in Jenkintown. He was 88. Although born in Philadelphia, Sam spent most of his life (excepting the years in educational institutions and the Navy) in Glenside, N.J.

Before Princeton, he attended Germantown Academy. He left Princeton at the end of his sophomore year. After losing a year, he entered Washington & Lee and earned an AB in 1932. Afterward, he earned an MA from Stonier Graduate School. From 1941-45 he served in the Navy. He then worked for the FDIC as a bank examiner from 1946-78, when he retired.

Sam was a member of the Glenside Lions Club, the Sons of the American Revolution, LuLu Temple Shrine, and Friendship-Williams Masonic Lodge No. 400 in Jenkintown.

His wife, Ester, predeceased him, and he is survived by his daughter Suzanne Bloore, three grandchildren, brother J.W. Austin, and a niece. The class extends its sympathy to the entire family.

The Class of 1931


Herbert Jacquelin Potts '32

Jack Potts died Nov. 8, 1998, at his residence in Fairhope, Ala., to which he had moved upon retirement.

Jack devoted most of his career to the business of manufacturing carpets. He ran the integrated Axminster Mill of Alexander Smith, Inc. in Greenville, Miss. He contributed to many civic and community affairs, being a director of Rotary, the Community Chest, Greenville Educational Foundation, and the Chamber of Commerce. He was also active in the Mississippi Economic Council, the Mississippi Benefactors Assn., and St. James Episcopal Church.

During WWII, he served in Europe with the 3rd and 9th Armies in the Field Artillery, receiving the Bronze Star.

Jack's first wife, Mary Mariner, predeceased him, as did also his daughter Jacquelin England and his stepson Guy Durant. He is survived by his second wife, Mary Emma; a stepson, George Durant; two daughters, Augusta Jones and Mary Lynn Reynolds; eight grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren. The class mourns with them the loss of this genial and likeable gentleman.

The Class of 1932


James Donald Morrow '34

Don Morrow died of heart failure Aug. 21, 1998, at Overlook Memorial Hospital in Summit, N.J. He was the son of the late Preston and Mabel Baldwin Morrow.

Born in East Orange, N.J., Don was retired v.p. of the Criswell Co. in Riverton, N.J. During WWII, he served as a lieutenant commander in the Navy. After retirement, in 1975, he moved to Seneca, S.C., where he resided with his wife, Betty, enjoying golf and living on Lake Keowee.

He is survived by his wife, Betty Cothran Morrow; two sons, J. Donald Jr. and Steven; a stepson, Johnny Lay; a daughter, Suzanne M. Hinate; and a stepdaughter, Peggy Nelson. To them we offer our sincere sympathies.

The Class of 1934


William Rufus Reitzell '34

Bill Reitzell, a victim of Parkinson's disease for the past several years, died Dec. 1, 1998, "peacefully in his sleep," according to Hank Miller, his first cousin, in the hospital in Worcester, Mass. Bill had lived in Worcester since shortly after he was mustered out of the Army as a major in 1946.

In Worcester he worked for State Mutual Life Insurance Co. out of the home office. In 1974 he chose early retirement, and "since then," as he wrote in our 50th-year book, "I've done volunteer work, part-time selling, studied languages, and done the usual travel, reading, tennis, etc....One nice thing about getting older is not wanting all the things you couldn't afford when you were young."

Ten years later, because of the Parkinson's, he wrote, "No more driving, volunteer work, traveling, etc."

Bill was married in 1940 to Dorothy "Dot" Garrett (Smith '35), whom he met in India when he worked there for Standard-Vacuum Oil Co. She survives, as do a daughter, Dorothy "Bunny" Willner; a son, William R. Jr., and five grandchildren. To them we offer our sincere sympathies.

The Class of 1934


David Stuart Hemingway '36

Dave died Sept. 17, 1998. A graduate of Hotchkiss, at Princeton he majored in economics and played on our undefeated freshman football team. He was a member of Cap and Gown.

During his alumni years he was class president, class agent, and reunion chairman. For 25 years, until his death, he chaired Annual Giving's Greenwich [Conn.] Township Region, which, in its size category (200-300 alumni), was always first in participation. Last year it had 77.9%. In 1986 he was AG's first recipient of the Jerry Horton Award for Outstanding Service.

During WWII, as a Navy Air Combat intelligence officer, he served in anti-submarine duty along the east coasts of the U.S. and Central and South America. He was next assigned to a fighter-bomber squadron awaiting action in the proposed invasion of Japan when the war ended. After three years of service he retired as a lieutenant commander.

Dave served in management positions in the food import, canning, and printing industries. At the time of his death he owned an industrial supply company.

He is survived by sons D. Stuart Jr., Timothy T., and Samuel S., daughters Margaret and Barbara, brothers Booth and Harvey W., sister Margaret Harrington, and four grandchildren. He was predeceased by his wife, Lucy. Dave was a class legend. He will indeed be missed.

The Class of 1936


John Muhlenberg DeYoe '36

John died June 9, 1998. He was 85. He graduated from Ramsey [N.J.] H.S. and attended Mount Hermon School and Blair Academy. At Princeton he majored in politics and was a member of Cloister Inn. In 1939 he graduated from Yale Law School.

During WWII, he served three years as a special agent for the FBI and was awarded its war service commendation. Thereafter he practiced law in New Jersey's Passaic and Bergen counties for some 34 years before retiring in 1980. He was considered an expert in the field of estate probate law. John was a municipal court magistrate in Mahwah, N.J. He was a member of the American, New Jersey, and Passaic Bar Associations, of the Hamilton Club of Paterson, N.J., and of the Holland Society of New York.

In 1993 he relocated from Mahwah to Black Mountain, N.C., where he enjoyed fishing, driving, walking, investing, and his grandchildren. He had lifelong interests in archaeology, astronomy, and gardening.

John was predeceased by his wife, Ruth. He is survived by a son, John Peter, daughter Barbara Ann Peevey, brother Edgar, sisters Barbara De Witt and Mrs. Ruth Barrett, and six grandchildren. John was a respected classmate and will be remembered.

The Class of 1936


James Townsend Peirce '36

Jim died July 10, 1998, of complications after heart surgery. After graduating from The Hill School, at Princeton he majored in economics and took a mathematics course taught by Albert Einstein. He rowed crew and was a member of Cap and Gown. He also attended the Pennsylvania School of Animal Husbandry.

During WWII, he commanded a Navy sub-chaser on convoy duty in the Atlantic and Caribbean theaters. Near the end of his six-year tour of duty he studied the Japanese language at the U. of Michigan and volunteered for duty with the Fifth Amphibious Corps during the occupation of Japan. He received two commendations and retired as a lieutenant commander.

After the war he was a dairy farmer until he sold out in 1958. He then moved to Annapolis, Md., where he owned a yacht sales company and a marine insurance brokerage. An excellent sailor and navigator, Jim sailed in the Newport, Mackinac, and Bermuda races.

He is survived by his first wife, Mrs. Vaudine H. Biermann, whom he married in 1940; a son, James T. Jr.; daughters Agnes V.P. Porter and Caroline A.P. Scheetz; a sister, Susanna P. Buie; a brother, W. Burke; five grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren. He is buried in Arlington Natl. Cemetery next to his father. Jim will indeed be missed by his friends in the class.

The Class of 1936


C. Paul Kogge '37

Sales and marketing expert Paul Kogge died Jan. 5, 1998, leaving his wife of 57 years, Barbara (whom he married at Lawrenceville), daughter Pamela, son Charles Jr., and seven grandchildren.

At Lawrenceville Paul was on the track team, member of Pipe and Quill, and active in dramatics. At Princeton he majored in economics and was a member of Cannon Club.

After working in market research in publishing houses McGraw Hill and Underwood News he was seized for service in the Navy and, after indoctrination at Dartmouth, served on AMC 65, a minesweeper of less than 60 ft., and then a small district craft YMS 192, in the Atlantic and Pacific. He came out a lieutenant senior grade, though with the address Yale St., Maplewood. The rest of his business career was with Owens-Illinois Glass Co., first in Philadelphia and then Toledo, Ohio. He was a dairy representative concentrating on dairy container sales and later product manager, developing and coordinating market-development programs for the dairy, soft-drink, and brewery industries; he was also in the forest products division. His entire family were trout fishermen.

The Class of 1937


W. Boardman Jones Jr. '37

Ardent Princetonian and ever-cheerful Boardie Jones died Nov. 21, 1998. His wife of 53 years, Becky, survives him, as do daughters Becky and Muffy and four grandchildren.

At Deerfield he was active in publications, sports manager, and manager of the Glee Club.

He majored in politics at Princeton and was a member of the Triangle Club, Theatre Intime, and Tower Club (v.p.), as well as an editor on the Dink and Bric-a-Brac.

Boardie took off for globetrotting a year after graduation, including hunting lions in South Africa, before joining Gaylord Container Corp. as a cost accountant. In 1942, however, he became a Navy flier, doing reconaissance in the Pacific and ferrying Naval brass. He joined Mercantile Trust in 1958 and retired in 1980 as vice-chairman of the board and in charge of the trust department. He ran our class insurance and for years was on the class council.

The Class of 1937


Minot K. Milliken '37

Native New Yorker, kilted textile expert, and multicorporate director, Minot Milliken died Nov. 14, 1998. He left his second wife Armene (Edith, his wife of 49 years, prominent in Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture, died in 1991), sons Kim, Christy, and Sandy (Seth II '72 died in 1989), daughter Daphne, and nine grandchildren.

At St. George's Minot was business manager of the yearbook, manager of the swimming team, and into dramatics. At Princeton he majored in biology, was on the Daily Princetonian business board, and was a member of various societies and Cap and Gown.

Abandoning early plans to be a doctor, he absorbed a general business education for two years at J.P. Morgan before joining the family textile business of Deering Milliken (later Milliken & Co.), initially in the wool-buying office in Boston. Later he became v.p. (1948), treasurer, and director. He was director of at least six companies, a trustee of St. George's, and trustee and president of the Boys' Club of New York.

A dramatic episode in 1954 was the robbery of his NYC apartment and incarceration of Edith and their servants -- the robbers were caught four days later. In 1983 he said his golf was atrocious, but in 1960 he won at Pine Valley with Dean Hill. The family summer home was in Blue Hills, Maine.

The Class of 1937


Edward F. Rivinus '37 *50

Foreign policy expert, Smithsonian senior science editor, and avid hunter, Ted Rivinus died Nov. 3, 1998, in an auto accident. His 44-year marriage to Esther ended in divorce, but he left sons Francis, David, and Andrew, daughters Marianna and Liandra, 12 grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren. Firstborn son Edward '63 died in 1983.

At Penn Charter Ted was into soccer, squash, and the glee club. At Princeton he majored in English and graduated with honors; he was on the polo team and v.p. of Terrace.

After working in insurance he entered the Army as a second lieutenant and rose to lieutenant colonel, seeing action with the Field Artillery and Allied Liaison Service in Naples-Foggia, Rome-Arno, Southern France, Rhineland, and Central Europe, sweating out the Anzio Beachhead. He was awarded the Croix de Guerre. He was in the Foreign Service (1946-70), vice-consul in Istanbul (1946-49), consul in Izmir, Turkey (1950-53), and second secretary in Vienna (1953-57), where he headed Hungarian refugee work. After other posts, he ended with a U.S. European Command in Stuttgart from 1967-70. Next came volunteer work for the Smithsonian, serving as acquisitions editor for natural sciences and retiring in 1987 as director emeritus of the Smithsonian Institution Press.

The Class of 1937


James S. Studdiford II '37

Navy commander and avid golfer (with a hole in one), Jim Studdiford died Oct. 29, 1998. His wife of 59 years, Billie, predeceased him in 1997; he left son Jim III '65, daughter Joan, six granddaughters, including triplets, and two stepbrothers.

At Solebury he was on the football, basketball, and baseball teams and active in debating and dramatics. He majored in economics at Princeton and was a member of the Interclub Council and president of Key and Seal.

After working at the brokerage firm of Eisele King and Studdiford, Jim served three and a half years as armed guard commander in the Navy in the Asiatic, Pacific, and American theaters, and in Washington with the Bureau of Ships-Armed Guard section, retiring in 1963. From 1947-82 Jim was director of sales at NJ Manufacturers Insurance Co. He was chairman of the Automobile Club of Central New Jersey and president of the Trenton Country Club, as well as president of Princeton's Delaware Valley Alumni Assn. and Ivy League Club of Trenton. He loved "the obvious pageantry and camaraderie of Reunions but also the underlying emotional side."

The Class of 1937


Van Rensselaer Tippett '37

Stamp and bridge expert and fisherman, Van Tippett died Oct. 23, 1998, at home. He is survived by his wife of 56 years, Jean; sons Peter, James, and David; daughter Sarah; and seven grandchildren. His sons Thomas and John predeceased him.

At Loomis Van was on the football, hockey, and track teams as well as the Student Council. He majored in philosophy at Princeton; he was on the varsity track squad and v.p. of Key and Seal.

After a year at Columbia Law School, Van became assistant manager of the Newberry five-and-dime store and then assistant buyer of men's furnishings for John David before the Army grabbed him for four years. He was base quartermaster property officer at Fort Dix before overseas duty in the Army Air Force in the Italian theater and promotion to captain.

He then managed the Howard Ware department store in New Rochelle, Oppenheim Collins in Garden City, and Genung's in Mt. Vernon as buyer and merchandiser of women's apparel. In 1967 he moved to Sarasota, Fla., and bought a stamp and coin shop. He traveled from 1978-88 to many islands in the Caribbean and South Pacific.

The Class of 1937


Austin Owen Furst '38

Austin "Monk" Furst died Oct. 18, 1998, on Hilton Head Island, S.C., following a long illness. He was born in Bellefonte, Pa., attended the Bellefonte Academy, and graduated from the Gilman School in Baltimore. At Princeton Monk was a member of the Army ROTC and the Cloister Inn Club. He majored in psychology.

After graduating from Dickinson School of Law, he served in the Army Air Corps during WWII, attaining the rank of major. Thereafter, he returned to Bellefonte and became the third generation to practice law in that community. He retired in 1993, after having been a governor of the Pennsylvania Bar Assn. and president of the Centre County Bar Assn. Monk also had been a member of the Bellefonte Kiwanis and American Legion Post, the St. Simons Island [Ga.] Rotary, the First Presbyterian Church of Bellefonte, and the St. Simons Island Presbyterian Church.

He is survived by his wife of 57 years, the former Margaret Watkins; two sons, Austin Jr. and Stephen; and five grandchildren, to all of whom the class extends its deep sympathy.

The Class of 1938


Andrew Murray Williams Jr. '38

Mike Williams died Sept. 6, 1998, of injuries suffered in a fall at his home.

He prepared at St. Paul's School. At Princeton Mike was active in hockey and intramural sports and joined Ivy Club.

After graduation he attended Harvard Law School and served in the Navy during WWII. In 1946 he moved to Seattle, where he enjoyed a successful 35-year career as a member of what is now the Perkins Coie law firm. Mike was managing partner in the 1970s; younger lawyers benefited from Mike's fair, evenhanded nature, sound judgment, and practice of personally welcoming them to his home on Vashon Island, thus helping to create a sound foundation for a firm that has grown from about 12 lawyers to about 400 lawyers all over the world. A letter to Mike's class secretary from Dick Prentke '67, a partner at Perkins Coie, concludes: "I can't remember anyone saying anything negative about Mike. He was a true gentleman in the best sense of the word. I was proud that we were both Princetonians." Mike is survived by his wife of 57 years, Edith; his sons, Andrew III and Richard; his daughter, Sarah Chapman; a brother, Ogden; a sister, Hope Wigglesworth; and five grandchildren, to all of whom the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1938


W. Emlen Roosevelt '39

Monk died July 4, 1998, at his home in Monmouth Beach, N.J. Devoted to the sea, an active sailor in all kinds of boats, he lived near the water all his life.

Banking was his career, which began when as a second honors major in economics he left college in junior year to learn banking and get a job. Starting as a messenger for Central Hanover Bank, he soon joined Roosevelt and Son, his uncle's investment firm. He entered WWII as a cavalry private and wound up as lieutenant colonel (finance) with a Bronze Star and five ETO campaign ribbons. Elected president and CEO of the Natl. State Bank of Elizabeth in 1950, he held that post until 1984 and continued as chairman thereafter. He served on numerous business and community boards.

Monk's wife, Arlene King, died in 1975. Surviving are their daughters, the Rev. Nancy A. and Lucy Sewall-Rubinow, three grandchildren, and Dolores Regal, his companion of over 20 years. We offer them our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939


Fulcher Perry Smith Jr. '39

Perry died June 13, 1998, in Cumberland, Md., where he was born and lived all his life. He had been owner and operator of Cumberland Box and Mill Co. and Pergin Farm in Garrett County. As a longstanding community leader, he not only was mayor of Cumberland from 1974-78, but also served on a host of boards and public service agencies, including the Maryland Health Resources Planning Commission, the board of trustees of the State Universities and Colleges, the Maryland State Parks Commission, and the Memorial Hospital board of governors. As a 47-year member of the Rotary Club of Cumberland, he was president and district governor. In 1975 he received the Brotherhood Award from the Natl. Conference of Christians and Jews.

Perry is survived by his daughters, Hollie Kershaw and Virginia Craig, four grandchildren, and his sisters Constance and Ann. To all of them we offer our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939


Thompson Webb Jr. '39

Distinguished scholar, editor and publisher, Tom died Sept. 13, 1998, of cancer at his home in Madison, Wis. Tom and his brother Howell were two of the five '39ers who pioneered Princeton's Divisional Program in the Humanities. After receiving an MA in English at Harvard he taught briefly before entering the Navy as an ensign in 1942, ranging the Pacific from Guadalcanal to the Aleutians aboard escort carriers. He found his life's work when in 1947 he became director of the University Press of Wisconsin, which grew to prominence under his leadership. He retired in 1984 as president of the Assn. of University Presses and of the Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts and Letters. A skilled photographer, Tom was a member of a Brown U. archaeological expedition in Kharga, Egypt, in 1988. An avid sportsman, he skied, canoed, sailed, and played squash and tennis into his 81st year. To Diana, his wife of 57 years, his brothers Bill '43 and John '45, sons Tom III and Gordon, and four grandchildren, we extend our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939


Paul Taylor Condit '40 *58

Paul Condit died Sept. 1, 1998, in Los Angeles. He was the son of Kenneth '13, dean of the Princeton School of Engineering. Paul had a long, productive career in cancer research. From 1951-58 he was senior investigator for the Natl. Cancer Institute and pioneered the use of one of the first chemotherapeutic agents. He joined the Oklahoma Medical Research Institute and was assistant professor of medicine and biochemistry at the U. of Oklahoma Medical School. In 1973 he moved to Oahu, Hawaii, where he advanced the use of contemporary chemotherapy. He published numerous articles in chemical, clinical, and medical journals. Later he lobbied for resources for the prevention of child abuse.

Having prepared at Western Reserve Academy, Paul earned AB, MA, and PhD degrees from Princeton. He studied medicine at Johns Hopkins U., and his internship was at the Public Health Service. During WWII, Paul was a faculty naval officer at the Naval Academy. His outside interests were the ocean, ballet, and active participation in gymnastics. Paul is survived by his brother Kenneth '42, sister Anne, five children, two granddaughters, and a great-grandson. We offer them our sincere sympathy at the loss of Paul -- our classmate who led a fruitful life dedicated to the search for cancer treatments and a cure.

The Class of 1940


Alfred Ely Jr. '41

Al Ely died Mar. 20, 1998. The son of Alfred Ely '05 and great-grandson of Alfred Ely 1804, he came to us from the Harvey School and St. Mark's.

A member of Colonial Club, he received his commission from R.O.T.C. at graduation. He served with the 1st Infantry Division (Big Red) from 1941-45, surviving three amphibious landings. Retiring with the rank of major, he was awarded the Bronze Star and the Silver Star with Cluster.

After the war Al became a banker, retiring in 1970 as assistant to the president of the Summit [N.J.] Trust Co. Leaving Far Hills, N.J., for Angel Fire, N.Mex., he was able to continue his lifelong love of skiing. He was a member of the New Mexico Mounted Patrol, the Mountain Ski Patrol, and the search and rescue teams. He had a long association with the Boone and Crocket Club (conservation of North American big game), serving as secretary for many years. In 1990 the family moved to Green Valley, Ariz., where he became involved in many community activities.

Al is survived by his wife of almost 53 years, Virginia, as well as a son, Alfred III, and a daughter, Kathryn, to all of whom the class extends its deep sympathy.

The Class of 1941


James Brady McCahey Jr. '42

Jim died Sept. 9, 1998, in University Hospitals, Cleveland, Ohio, after a losing bout with myelodisplasia.

Jim prepared at Lake Forest Academy. At Princeton he graduated with honors in history and joined Elm Club. An Army major, he served with the 42nd Rainbow Division in the European theater. His unit liberated Dachau. He was awarded the Bronze Star with cluster for valor on the field, and the French army's Fleur de Lis for courageous acts. He stayed in Austria to help refugees for a year after war ended.

Jim attended law school at night in Chicago, joining the Dunn Coal and Oil Co., of which he became president. He became v.p. of the Chicago South Shore and South Bend Railroad in 1963 and president in 1966. When the Chessie System acquired it, he moved to Cleveland as s.v.p. of merchandise sales and marketing, retiring in 1985.

Always politically involved, Jim joined his father and President Truman at cards, handled special projects for Mayor Daley, and managed Kennedy's Wisconsin and West Virginia primaries. But family was Jim's priority. He also established new records for Annual Giving as class agent, served on our executive committee, and was a regular reuner.

To his wife, Mary Lou; his children, J. Brady, Michael, Bill, Kathleen, Susan, and Mary Lorraine; and his nine grandchildren, the class offers its most sincere sympathies.

The Class of 1942


Peter Brock Putnam '42 *50

Pete died Sept. 23, 1998, in Princeton, after a three-year struggle with lymphoma. From the time of his suicide attempt, senior year, in which he lost his sight, Pete led an incredibly productive life.

Pete prepared at Hill School, majored in modern languages, and joined Cottage Club. After earning his MA and PhD from Princeton, he was an instructor in the history department for four years. Devoting full time to his writing, he published six books, as well as many autobiographical articles. After spending 196567 in Boston, as v.p. development for the Unitarian Universalist Assn. of North America, he returned to Princeton. He founded the Princeton Memorial Assn., the first funeral society in New Jersey. He was a lifetime director and president of Recording for the Blind, Inc., and on the boards of Triangle Club, Alumni Council, and the Seeing Eye, Inc., and was trustee and president of the Chapin School. A dedicated member of the class, he was a regional v.p. and from 198292 a v.p. and member of the executive committee. He will be remembered for his work in deferred giving, setting an example since adopted by many other classes.

A witty, erudite, caring friend, he will be missed. To his widow, Durinda; his children, Brock, John, and Barbara; and his two grandchildren, the class offers deepest sympathies.

The Class of 1942


John Insley Blair Pyne '42 *50

Insley died Sept. 5, 1998, at Capital Health System Fuld Hospital in Ewing, N.J. He was retired Princeton professor of physics and electrical engineering.

He prepared for Princeton at Brooks School, leaving to join the Navy after war was declared. He served as a carrier-based SBD Dauntless dive bomber pilot, operating from the USS Essex, in the Pacific theater. He attained the rank of lieutenant and was awarded three DFCs, six Air Medals, a Presidential Unit Citation, and a Navy Unit Citation.

Returning to Princeton after the war, he received a BS in physics and an MS in electrical engineering. Joining the faculty, he helped develop the university's first computer center. His seminal paper on "Linear Programming on an Analog Computer," published in 1956, garnered international recognition for advancing computer theory. Insley was also a passionate musician and sang opera roles in Germany and the U.S. He was proficient in German, French, and Italian.

He is survived by his wife, Marguerite; three sons, Russell, Lawrence, and John Jr.; and by eight grandchildren, to whom the class offers its most sincere sympathies.

The Class of 1942


Richard Osann '43

Dick died Oct. 17, 1998, in Naples, Fla. He was 77.

A native of Riverside, Conn., he commuted to NYC for many years to work in printing, graphic arts, and other allied industries.

Dick served with distinction in the Navy during WWII. His three years aboard DD 510 earned him 12 stars on his Pacific Service Ribbon as well as the China Service Ribbon.

Down through the years, Dick's extracurricular activities involved him with golf, church, and singing. He was a member of the choir at St. Paul's Episcopal Church in both Riverside and Naples; for 29 years he sang with the Offsounders, a men's a capella group in Riverside. He was active in Rotary in both states.

Dick is survived by his children, Kathryn E., David, Sally Osann Jaeger, Rick Mason-Osann, and Paul, and by nine grandchildren. Many members of the Princeton Club of S.W. Florida attended the memorial service on Oct. 21, including classmate Bob Oakleaf.

To the entire family, we extend our most heartfelt sympathies.

The Class of 1943


George Parker Jr. '43

George died Nov. 7, 1998, in Dallas. He was 78. Born in Tulsa, Okla., he prepared at Cascia Hall H.S. and Phillips Academy. After Princeton he attended the U. of Michigan Law School. During WWII, George served at sea as an officer of the Navy.

He practiced law for many years in Dallas, after which time he engaged in petroleum exploration and served as a director of Texaco, Inc., for 32 years.

George's personal activities outside the workplace included establishment of the Western European Architecture Foundation. He received a decoration from the French government, was a trustee of the U. of Dallas, and belonged to many country clubs and golf clubs, among them Golf de Saint Cloud in Paris.

George is survived by his brothers, Joseph, John, and William, and several nieces and nephews. To the entire family, we offer our deepest and most heartfelt condolences.

The Class of 1943


William Anderton Chisolm '45

Bill "Chis" Chisolm died Apr. 24, 1998, in NYC after a brief illness. Bill prepared at Millbrook School. His Princeton career was interrupted in 1943 for service with the 44th Infantry Division as a reconnaissance sergeant in Northern France, the Rhineland, and central Europe. He received the Bronze Star and three Battle Stars.

Returning to Princeton, Bill became managing editor of the Daily Princetonian, president of Terrace Club, commodore of the Yacht Club, and chair of Orange Key, the Undergraduate Bicentennial Committee, the Interclub Committee, and the Princeton Campus Fund. Voted "best all around man outside athletics" in a senior poll, Bill received the Class of 1901 Medal at commencement in 1947, when he graduated with honors from the School of Public and Intl. Affairs.

He joined First Boston Corp., where he spent 33 years, becoming managing director in 1972 before taking early retirement in 1979. With the help of his late second wife, the former Frances Wyatt, Bill in 1990 began a courageous journey to sobriety and remained active in Alcoholics Anonymous programs until his death.

Bill is survived by children Allison Hansen '84, Page Chisolm Hughes '85, Elizabeth, and Richard, and by four grandchildren. Bill was survived very briefly by his brother Lawrence '50, who died five days after Bill. The class sends sympathy to all.

The Class of 1945


Staffan Rosenborg '45

Staffan Rosenborg died peacefully, of natural causes, on July 5, 1998, in Washington, D.C. His wife, Patricia Gilbert, an editor of the Natl. Geographic Society, predeceased him.

While at Princeton Staff majored in economics, graduating in 1948 after service in the Army as a German interpreter. He was born in 1922 in Geneva, Switzerland, to Swedish parents. His schooling included Sigtuna Humanistiska Laerovert, Sweden, the Intl. School of Geneva, Switzerland, and Princeton H.S.

He was an editor at the Library of Congress for many years, retiring in 1993. His lifelong interest and passion was jazz music, in which field he became well known as a collector and a friend of many musicians. His secondary love was skiing. Staff was universally liked for his integrity and sense of humor.

The class extends its sympathy to his son, Stephen G., and to his brothers, Rutger '46 and Thomas O.

The Class of 1945


Paul H. Hoffman Jr. '47

Paul died Apr. 17, 1998, at his home in Chicago. He was born, raised, and attended high school in that city.

Upon graduation from high school Paul joined the Navy V-12 program and served in the Navy Medical Corps during WWII. He transferred to Princeton from Loyola U., graduating in Apr. 1946. Paul attended Northwestern U. Medical School, from which he received his bachelor of medicine. He then transferred to the U. of DePaul Law School, earning his degree in 1952.

For several years he practiced law, but he then entered the property development business, becoming president of the Oliver-Hoffman Corp. Paul was a very important developer of land in several western suburbs of Chicago, as well as of numerous properties in Florida.

Outside of work he was an avid horseman, becoming master of the Cornwall Hunt. An important collector of contemporary art in painting and sculpture, Paul served as chairman of the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago for many years.

The class extends its deepest sympathy to his wife, Camille; his mother-in-law, Ada Marie Oliver; and his daughters, Leslie Walsh, Randi Marie Marton, and Valerie Lynn. He is also survived by seven grandchildren and two brothers, Joseph and Jack.

The Class of 1947


Dawes Walter '47

Dawes died Oct. 11, 1998, of an aneurysm, at Yale-New Haven Hospital.

He was born in Evanston, Ill., and graduated from Blair. At Princeton, he majored in history, wrestled, played football with the Marines, and was in Triangle and president of Charter. He was on our 50th reunion and executive committees and cochaired the '72 yearbook.

As a Marine officer, he served in WWII and Korea. Retiring early from Conoco in 1981, where he was director of government affairs and public relations manager, he became v.p. at Bridgeport U. and earned a master's in political science and behavioral counseling, which he practiced. Dawes completed, as a dedicated volunteer, economic development projects in seven countries overseas for IESC. From 1990-91 he was director of corporate development. He was a director of the Calvin Coolidge Foundation, a trustee of Heritage Village, and a lay reader at Woodbury Congregational Church.

Dawes was a born leader and a devoted husband, father, and Princetonian who led an exemplary Christian life of warmth and joy. He leaves Berni, his wife of 32 years, his children Jann, John, Julie, Steven, and Amy, and several granddaughters, nieces, and nephews, to all of whom the class extends its heartfelt sympathy for the loss of a unique, talented classmate.

The Class of 1947


Peter Rawleigh Dryer '48

Peter Dryer died Sept. 16, 1998, in Rochester, N.Y. A lifelong Rochester resident, Peter joined us from Choate and graduated in 1949. He was a member of Campus and active in the Intl. Relations Club. He was in the Marines from 1944-46.

Peter went to Cuba after Princeton in an attempt to grow kenaf, a new fiber to replace jute. While in Cuba, he made many friends, not the least of whom was Ernest Hemingway. Fidel Castro's revolution marked the end of kenaf growing in Cuba. Peter moved his kenaf pioneering to Guatemala and Haiti only to be met by more political unrest and revolutions. In Haiti he narrowly escaped a Ton-Ton Macoute raid. Growing kenaf proved to be impractical given the political realties.

In the mid-1960s he returned to Rochester to devote his life to helping younger people and establishing several scholarships for German exchange students. He visited Germany frequently.

To his brothers, Tyrrell and Joseph, the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1948


Fletcher Hanson Etheridge Jr. '49

Fletcher "Hans" Etheridge Jr. died Oct. 15, 1995, at home, in his sleep.

He was born June 30, 1928, and prepared at Woodberry Forest. At Princeton he majored in politics, graduating with highest honors, was assistant manager of the basketball and wrestling teams, and participated in interclub sports. He waited tables in Commons and was national ad manager of the Nassau Lit, a member of S.C.A., and a member of Key and Seal Club.

Following a brief banking career in NYC, Fletcher entered U. of Texas Law School, where he was on the Law Review. He graduated with honors in 1953 and was named to the Order of the Coif. He received the highest score in the Texas Bar Exam that year. During the Korean War, Hans served as first lieutenant and assistant staff judge advocate. He practiced law in Houston with several firms from 1955 until his death, at the time of which he was with Keck, Mahin & Cate. He was highly regarded by colleagues and opposing counsel.

Fletcher is survived by his beloved wife of 39 years, Carolyn, daughters Eugenia and Anna, and son Fletcher H. III. The late Gary Bivings '49 was his cousin. We extend our deepest sympathies to all of his family at the loss of this hard-working, good-natured gentleman.

The Class of 1949


Mathias Peter Moller III '49

Ted Moller died May 20, 1997, at Chambersburg [Pa.] Hospital.

Ted grew up in Hagerstown, Md., where his family had a thriving business building church organs that were highly regarded by professional musicians. A graduate of Tabor Academy, Ted spent two years at Princeton, where he was president of the model senate of Whig-Clio and a member of the yacht club. He subsequently attended George Washington U.

He spent several years working for the Lutheran World Federation, aiding them in a hospital in the Arabian area and also in NYC. For a while he lived in Boca Raton, Fla., then returned to the family business in Hagerstown, ultimately retiring in 1989 as v.p. of the Moller Pipe Organ Co., but staying on as a consultant to the business.

Ted's wife, Joan, predeceased him. He is survived by their daughter, Carolyn, and a brother, Kevin. To them we offer our deepest sympathies.

The Class of 1949


John Hardwick Ransom '49

Jack, son of the late Julius Chalmers Ransom '20, died May 24, 1997.

He came to Princeton from Exeter in 1945, but was drafted into the service for two and a half years. By then he was married and attending the U. of California, where he earned a BS in finance and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.

Jack was an auditor for Cutter Laboratories, then did product development for Moore Business Forms in Niagara Falls, N.Y. In 1954 he moved to Erie, Pa., and founded Integrated Data Processing with his uncle, Chuck Reed '34.

In 1956 Jack married Jeanne Ryan, acquiring her daughter Susan as a stepdaughter -- their own children, Cynthia and Jean, followed. Jack became an executive of Litton Industries' Business Machines Group, but by 1969 he was president of MIS, Inc. He married Lisa, with whom he had a daughter, Julie, in addition to her six children. He was named president of the Financial Statement Division of Touchette Corp., and in 1992 retired and moved to Deltona, Fla. His wife predeceased him.

We remember Jack's wit and his original, creative mind. He is survived by the above-named daughters, six stepchildren, seven grandchildren, and his brother, Peter '54. We extend sincere sympathy to them all.

The Class of 1949


Gardiner Trowbridge II '49

Gar Trowbridge, son of the late Arthur Lusk Trowbridge '13, died Oct. 23, 1995.

He prepared at St. Paul's School, after which he was with the American Field Service in Italy during WWII. At Princeton he majored in politics, was a member of Cap & Gown, and was on the varsity squash team. In 1949, in his junior year, he left Princeton to join an advertising agency in NYC and during the next six years tried his hand at banking, public relations, photography, real estate, and modeling for commercial advertisements, working on both coasts.

Back east in 1955, he re-entered the academic world, graduating from Columbia U. in 1959 with a BS, summa cum laude, in psychology. At the top of his class, he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. Gar married Marianna Ball in 1956, and following graduation from Columbia, moved his family -- now including a stepson -- to Berkeley, Calif., where he studied for his PhD in clinical psychology.

They continued to live in the San Rafael, Calif., area until his death. To our knowledge, Gar is survived by his wife and stepson. They have our deepest sympathies.

The Class of 1949


John Hamilton Crawford Jr. '51

Ham died May 10, 1998, after a long bout with cancer. He prepped at Poly Prep Country Day School. At Princeton he majored in history and was a member of the Pre-Law Society and Cottage Club. He roomed with Don Castleman, Hugh Corroon, and Frank Collins.

After Columbia Law School, Ham began a distinguished career as a lawyer with several firms, including s.v.p. of Alliance Capital Management Corp., and Gabelli Funds, Inc. He was on the boards of numerous mutual funds, securities firms, nonprofits, and charities. He was a chairman of the New York Heart Assn. and on the board of the United Way of NYC. He also was a governor and head of membership at the Piping Rock Club.

Ham loved his days at Cottage Club; he served Princeton as a vice-chairman of the Natl. Alumni Schools Committee and a member of the Alumni Council's executive committee.

Ham will be remembered as a wonderful and accomplished man who fought his illness bravely, loved his family, and enjoyed a great round of golf.

He is survived by his wife, Zella; sons Terrel, Philip, and J. Hamilton III; daughters Robin and Paige; and brother James '57. The class extends its deep sympathy to them all.

The Class of 1951


Henry McKean Ingersoll '51

Henry died Nov. 1, 1998, of cancer at his home in Bryn Mawr, Pa. Born Oct. 29, 1929, the day the stock market crashed, he was destined to follow a career in financial services. At St. Paul's School he excelled in track and field, holding the school's high-jump record for over 30 years. After Princeton, he joined the Philadelphia Natl. Bank. Then came a career in stock brokerage -- first Merrill Lynch, then over 30 years with Smith Barney, where he became an s.v.p. in sales. He was a past president of the Philadelphia Securities Assn.

During the Korean War, Henry served in Germany with the 28th Infantry Division. Afterwards he became captain of the First Troop Philadelphia City Cavalry.

Henry was a dedicated Bryn Mawr Hospital volunteer, working on its postoperative floor for many years. He was a member of the Rabbit, the Merion Cricket Club, the Philadelphia Club, and the State in Schuykill.

Henry is survived by his wife, Elizabeth; brothers Paul '50 and David; son Warren; daughters Charlotte and Agnes; stepdaughter Lindsay; stepson Craig; sisters Joan, Nancy, and Lalla, and six grandchildren. The class sends its deep condolences.

The Class of 1951


John McCaffery Wright '53

John Wright, who with his family (his father was John P. Wright '28) spanned five generations of community service to Keene, N.H., died there Nov. 15, 1998, after a long illness.

When he finished St. Paul's, John, like many who had been confined at boarding schools, found the independence at Princeton invigorating. He joined Colonial Club, and Sandy Lambert recalls the happy times the two shared. He majored in economics and was active in the Student Christian Assn. Following graduation he was an officer in the Army for two years and spent the next 40 with family-owned J.A. Wright & Co., manufacturers of metal polishers, which was established in Keene in 1873 and from which John retired as CEO in 1995. He headed the local historical society, hospital, and library boards, was chairman of the city's main bank, and was president of the Rotary Club. His daughter Sarah Stanley said her father's last public appearance was in September at his firm's 125th anniversary observance. Heartfelt sympathy to Patricia, John's wife of 45 years; Sarah; another daughter, Susan M.; sons John B. and Joshua P.; brother Thomas P.; and sister Mary P. The class was represented at John's funeral by Hal Pilskaln and his three-year campus roommate Charlie Rooney, who put it well when he said that John was "a true Christian and a true New Englander."

The Class of 1953


William F. Brown III '55

Bill Brown died Oct. 26, 1998, at his home in Short Hills, N.J., after a long illness.

Before coming to Princeton, Bill attended Newark Academy, where he was an all-state athlete in three sports. At Princeton, he majored in English, graduated cum laude, and was a member of Cannon Club. After graduation, while on active military service in Germany, he developed a pituitary tumor which led to years of surgery, medication, hospitalization, and, ultimately, confinement to his home. Through all his long years of suffering, Bill somehow always maintained his sense of humor and positive outlook, never complained about his condition, read voraciously, and kept an active interest in everything from literature to history to Princeton athletic successes. He was a model of bravery to all his friends who kept in contact with him over the years.

To his father, William F., and his sister Ann Williams, the class extends its deepest sympathy on their loss.

The Class of 1955


Theodore J. Jacobs '55

Ted Jacobs died Aug. 7, 1998, of a neuromuscular degenerative ailment at the Fairland Adventist Center in Silver Spring, Md. Ted is survived by his wife of 29 years, Lenore, and son Nicholas.

At Princeton, Ted roomed with Paul Glickman and joined Prospect Club. After graduation, he attended Harvard Law School and roomed with Jim Brachman and Ben Zelenko.

Following admission to the New York Bar, Ted entered private practice, specializing in estate planning. He moved to Washington, D.C., in 1968 and became chief, legal analysis section of the forerunner agency to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Thereafter, he became executive director of the Center for the Study of Responsive Law, working closely with Ralph Nader. Ted became counsel for regulatory reform on the Senate Govt. Affairs Committee and then chief counsel and finally staff director to the House Subcommittee on Commerce, Consumer and Monetary Affairs. He worked on several critical monetary and consumer issues, prepared committee reports on many subjects, and attended international conferences. He contributed book reviews and articles on consumer-related topics to the NY Times, Washington Post, Christian Science Monitor, and other national publications.

Ted was Neighborhood Advisory Commissioner in his D.C. neighborhood and on the boards of the Living Stage and the Fund for Constitutional Government. The class extends its deepest sympathy to his family.

The Class of 1955


William Arthur Kjellstrom '68

Will suffered a massive heart attack while performing surgery in Atlanta and died Nov. 30, 1998.

Will came to Princeton from East H.S. in Rockford, Ill. He was a member of Cap & Gown and the varsity swimming team; he was a nationally ranked swimmer. He earned his MD from Baylor and specialized in OB/GYN.

Professionally, Will's greatest joy was dealing with his patients, and he was extraordinarily good at what he did. Over the years, he befriended and cared for innumerable women who had high-risk pregnancies. He had reached the point in his career where he was delivering babies of babies he had once delivered.

Will was gregarious and most enjoyed being with, and cooking for, family and friends in a relaxed atmosphere; he also enjoyed his wine collection, golf in the North Carolina mountains, and travel. He will be sorely missed by his family and many friends. To Will's widow, Mandy, their children Willy and Katie, and his brother, John, the class extends its profound sympathy.

The Class of 1968


Richard Steven Motley '68

Dick Motley died June 4, 1994, at the family home in Tulsa, Okla., of respiratory arrest brought on by pneumonia. He was 47 and an architect.

Dick was born in Detroit and came to Princeton from Edison H.S. in Tulsa. He majored in architecture and was a member of the Nassoons and Charter Club. He was predeceased by both his parents which had greatly saddened him. Dick never married. Both before and after his parents' deaths, Dick took care of his only sibling, his younger sister Ruth Ann, who suffers from MS and to whom Dick was devoted. He enjoyed travel, having been to both Europe and the Far East.

Belatedly, the class sends its most sincere sympathy to Ruth Ann.

The Class of 1968


Ronald Ginns '69

Ronald Ginns died Dec. 14, 1997. He was 48. As his wife, Donna, noted, "Ron was dearly beloved by all who knew him and will be sorely missed."

During a number of his professional years, Ron was employed by the United Nations and worked both with UNICEF and on the 50th-anniversary celebration of the United Nations. Extensive efforts have not identified additional information on what was clearly a valued and accomplished life.

To Donna and his brother Edward, we extend our sympathy on this untimely loss.

The Class of 1969


Sylvia Marie Morris '73

Mother, wife, and physician, Sylvia Morris died Sept. 25, 1997, just two weeks after her father, R. Crawford Morris '38.

Sylvia graduated from the Laurel School. As did her grandfather Alexander C. Robinson III '14, father, uncle ACR IV '48, and cousin ACR Jr. '73, Sylvia chose Princeton. After her freshman year, she transferred to Vassar, graduating with honors in psychology.

In 1978, Sylvia earned her MD from Case Western Reserve. Here, she also met and married Andrew Hotaling and completed an internship in internal medicine. Their first son, Jim, was born in 1979 in Cleveland. Their second, Jeffrey, was born four years later in Chicago. In 1985, Sylvia completed her psychiatric training and was designated the outstanding graduating resident at the Lafayette Clinic in Detroit.

Sylvia practiced psychiatry in Detroit and Wheaton, Ill., developing a reputation for her work with attention deficit disorder and interest in depression and anxiety. Sylvia treasured vacationing on Lake Bellaire in northern Michigan. She had compassion for others, a contagious, zany sense of humor, and passion for life's pleasurable moments.

The class extends deep sympathy to Sylvia's family, friends, and the many whose lives she touched.

The Class of 1973


David Hartt Thompson '73

David Hartt Thompson died Oct. 7, 1997. Dave graduated from Northern Highlands Regional H.S. in New Jersey. At Princeton he majored in civil and geological engineering, played varsity football as a linebacker, and was a member of the wrestling team. He later served on various schools committees in New Jersey and Oregon.

Following Princeton, David worked at Brown and Root in New Orleans. He earned his MBA from Stanford, then worked at GATX Leasing and Automatic Data Processing Leasing before becoming CFO of Industrial Leasing, in Portland, Ore., in 1988. In 1991, he purchased PowerTech; in 1995 he acquired and became CEO of Cascade Pacific Industries. While running two companies, Dave developed an outstanding reputation for integrity and character in the Portland business community. He was an active member in his hometown of Tualatin, Ore., in the Presbyterian Lake Grove Church. He was a devoted and loving husband and father whose wit and wisdom will be missed.

To his wife, Patricia, and his children Charles "Chase," Anne Frances, and Margaret Elizabeth, and to all family and friends, the class extends its sympathy and deepest condolences.

The Class of 1973


Loris S. Russell *30

Mayflower descendant Loris Shano Russell, distinguished geologist, paleobiologist, museum curator, and scientific author died July 6, 1998. He was 95. He was residing in the Sunnybrook Veterans' Hospital in Toronto. Born in Brooklyn to an American father and a Canadian mother, he was raised in Alberta, Canada and resided primarily in Canada during all of his life. He earned an MA in 1929 and PhD in 1930, in geology, from Princeton.

A leader in research and institutional administration in Canada, Loris was director of the Royal Ontario Museum of Paleontology from 1946-50. In 1950 he joined the Natl. Museum of Canada, where he was chief of the zoology section (1950-56), director of natural history (1956-63), and acting director of human history (1958-63). He was next appointed as chief biologist at the Royal Ontario Museum and simultaneously as professor of geology at the U. of Toronto.

He published extensively in the fields of paleobiology and the antiquities of early America. Retirement in 1971 did not end his fieldwork in western Canada which he continued with his wife until late 1992. Mrs. Russell predeceased Loris. They left no children but a host of devoted nieces, nephews, and scientific colleagues. His researches and interests were exceedingly extensive in scope.

The Graduate Alumni


George Matthews Modlin *32

George M. Modlin, distinguished educator, retired fourth president and chancellor emeritus of the U. of Richmond, died Oct. 4, 1998, at his Richmond, Va., home. He was 95.

His 71-year career was devoted to higher education; 60 years of it were devoted to the U. of Richmond. Early in his presidency of that institution E. Claiborne Robins, a major pharmaceutical executive, asked him how much money it would take to make the U. of Richmond "a really great university." George gave a figure of $50 million. Robins and his family donated that sum to the university; subsequent development and growth were phenomenal.

During the Modlin presidency, faculty salaries increased by more than 300%, new building construction reached $24 million, and the university's annual budget increased 17-fold. George's pioneering relations with businesses increased the endowment to $51 million. The student body grew from 2,300 to more than 7,000 in 1971, making the university Virginia's largest private higher education institution.

George earned a bachelor's in history from Wake Forest U. in 1924. He earned a master's in economics from Princeton in 1925 and a doctorate in 1932. In 1928, he married Virginia Pendleton Brinkley. They had no heirs. She predeceased him in July 1997. He is highly revered by those who attended the U. of Richmond during his administration.

The Graduate Alumni


Paul M. Titus *33

Paul M. Titus, dedicated educator, died Apr. 19, 1998, at his home in Gambier, Ohio, after a protracted illness. He was 93. He graduated from Oberlin College and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. At Princeton he earned his master's (*30) and doctorate (*33) in economics and social institutions.

With his new bride, Catherine, Paul arrived in Gambier in 1933 to teach economics at Kenyon College. At that time the Kenyon faculty numbered only 25 persons. Salaries were cut by 40%. Decades later he recalled, before an alumni gathering, the rigors of those early days: "Kenyon's problem was directly related to the Great Depression, which, by 1933, had caused 25% of the work force to be unemployed." By 1937 economic conditions had improved, and Kenyon trustees appointed a new president. The institution survived and grew both in stature and in numbers of faculty, staff, and students.

Upon Paul's retirement in 1972, after 39 years of teaching, he was awarded by Kenyon College an honorary doctorate of humane letters and numerous tributes to his dedicated life of pedagogy. Following retirement he became active in a variety of community service organizations in Gambier, including his own enterprise to provide low-cost housing for deserving neighbors.

Catherine predeceased him in 1994. His survivors include two daughters, one son, 12 grandchildren, and 14 great-grandchildren.

The Graduate Alumni


Allan C. Johnson *37

Educated as an architect, demonstrated to be a respected multiaptituder, Allan Johnson died June 19, 1998, in an auto accident near his home in San Luis Obispo, Calif. Allan prepared at Brooklyn Technical H.S. and received his bachelor's, cum laude, in architecture from New York U. Prior to his graduation there he submitted an entry in a nationwide architectural competition. This won for him a prestigious award and led him to graduate studies in architecture at Princeton.

His professional career started with the American Telephone and Telegraph Co. in NYC. Soon afterward he was engaged as a consultant to the War Production Board in Washington. Then followed appointment to the Washington, D.C., office of the Manhattan Project in WWII, with the rank of lieutenant colonel. Subsequently he taught architecture, practiced it professionally, and served as director of engineering and construction for the Atomic Energy Commission's installation at Idaho Flats, Idaho, as well as in several business executive roles. In San Luis Obispo he resumed his teaching career as associate professor of architecture at California Polytechnic Institute and served for many years in a host of community service roles.

He is survived by his widow, Evelyn, two daughters, five grandchildren, and one great-grandchild. He was truly one of the "greats" of his generation.

The Graduate Alumni


James A. Perkins *37

Distinguished educator and former president of Cornell U., James A. Perkins, died Aug. 18, 1998, in consequence to a recent fall. He was 86 and was residing in a rest home in Burlington, Vt.

James was an honors graduate of Swarthmore College in 1934. At Princeton, he earned a master's in politics in 1936 and a doctorate in 1937. He was an instructor at Princeton until WWII intervened. From 1941-45 he served in the Office of Price Administration and the Foreign Economic Administration.

In 1946 he became v.p. of Swarthmore, where he remained until becoming v.p. of the Carnegie Corp. in 1950. In 1963, James was elected president of Cornell U. In 1969, during a period of extreme unrest in academe, armed African-American students seized a building on the Cornell campus and demanded the establishment of a department of African-American studies. As a devout Quaker, opposed to bloodshed, James agreed to this addition, and the uprising died. One month later his resignation was forced by widespread protest. His many positive contributions to Cornell were obscured by this outcry, later deemed "courageous and entirely positive."

He returned to Princeton, where he established and directed the Intl. Council for Educational Development until his retirement in 1990. He is survived by his wife, five children, seven grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.

The Graduate Alumni


Thomas Mariner *47

Thomas Mariner, industrial research physicist and committed private citizen in community affairs, died Apr. 7, 1998, at Moravian Manor in Lititz, Pa. He was 84. He received his bachelor's in physics at Boston U. in 1935 and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.

He was physics group leader at the American Cyanamid Corp. laboratory in Stamford, Conn., from 1941-48. During part of this period he was on leave to pursue graduate studies at Princeton, where he earned a doctorate in physics in 1947 and was elected to Sigma Xi.

In 1948 Thomas joined the Armstrong Cork Co. in Lancaster, Pa., as physics group leader. In 1977 he became general manager of physics research at Armstrong. He retired in 1978. His scientific contributions include nine patents and authorship of 25 journal articles. He was active in committee work for the Acoustical Society of America, the American Society for Testing Materials, the Intl. Organization for Standardization, the American Standards Assn., and the board of editors of Noise Control Magazine.

His civic titles included schools director of the Donegal Union School District, membership on the Lancaster County Tax Collection Bureau, and officer posts on the Advisory-Policy Council of the Vocational Technical Schools of Lancaster County, Pa.

He is survived by a daughter, two sons and three grandchildren.

The Graduate Alumni


Frank E. Fischer *50

Frank Elmer Fischer died June 4, 1998, in Lugano, Switzerland. He was 88. He earned his baccalaureate in 1933 from Swarthmore College, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He earned a master's in English at Princeton in 1935 and taught English at Pace College in NYC until WWII.

Frank served as an intelligence officer in Gen. Patton's Third Army in Europe and continued in that assignment until the end of the war. Not long afterward he married his sweetheart, Lilly, in Coburg, Germany.

In 1950 the Fischers returned to the U.S., and Frank resumed his graduate studies at Princeton. He earned a doctorate in English literature in 1950. Frank then joined the Johnson and Johnson organization as director of training. This experience led next to his affiliation with the American Management Assn. His final business relationship was that of a partner in the consulting firm of Cresup, McCormick and Paget, where he remained until his retirement in 1973.

After this, the Fischers relocated to Lugano, Switzerland, for summers and to Sarasota, Fla., for winters. During summers in Lugano, Frank taught courses in Shakespeare at Franklin College.

He is survived by his wife, Lilly, a daughter, and three grandchildren.

The Graduate Alumni


Robert Rinehart France *52

Retired v.p. of the U. of Rochester [N.Y.], Robert R. France, died Apr. 12, 1998. He was 78. He had battled Parkinson's disease for several years.

He served as a bombardier in the Air Force during WWII, retiring years later from the Air Force Reserve with the rank of lieutenant colonel. He earned his bachelor's from Oberlin College. At Princeton, he earned AM (*50) and PhD (*52) degrees in economics. He remained at Princeton for three years as a member of the economics faculty. In 1956 Robert joined the economics faculty at the U. of Rochester, becoming full professor in 1962. He spent 31 years at Rochester, retiring in 1987. His posts included associate dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, acting dean of the college, associate provost and v.p. for planning, and director of budgets. At Rochester he showed unusual negotiating skill during the turbulent '60s.

Robert was a labor arbitrator for the American Arbitration Assn., the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, and the New York State Board of Mediation from 1953-79. Several distinguished publications on labor relations are attributable to him as author. His is an enviable legacy in both academe and professional arbitration.

He is survived by his wife, Jean, two daughters, one son, two sisters, and six grandchildren.

The Graduate Alumni


Alexander Papamarkou *52

Alexander Papamarkou, philanthropist and international investment banker, died Apr. 23, 1998, of a heart attack at St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital in NYC. He was 68.

Born in Athens, Alexander graduated with honors from Athens College in 1948. That same year he came to the U.S. and enrolled in the Maxwell School of Public Affairs at Syracuse U., earning a bachelor's, magna cum laude, in 1951. He earned an MPA (*52) from Princeton's Woodrow Wilson School and also studied at the London School of Economics.

Early in his career he was director of the Ministry of Industry for the Greek government. In 1961 he began a Wall Street career with Oppenheimer & Co. After a vice-presidency at E. F. Hutton he founded his own firm.

Devoted to arts and science causes worldwide, Alexander contributed in the U.S. to the Library of Congress, Rockefeller U., the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, New York U., the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Lincoln Center, and the Cultural Commission of the City of New York. He was trustee and treasurer of the charities of the Prince of Wales in the U.S. He was honored internationally by the Greek Orthodox Church, the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the Orthodox Patriarchates of Jerusalem and Russia, and the Spanish Order of Isabel La Catolica. He is survived by his sister, Lisa Papamarkou Jewell.

The Graduate Alumni


Samuel J. Messick *54

Samuel J. Messick, distinguished research scientist at Educational Testing Service, died Oct. 6, 1998, of congestive heart failure at the U. of Pennsylvania Medical Center in Philadelphia. He was 67. A 1950 undergraduate alumnus of the U. of Pennsylvania, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, Samuel earned his master's and doctorate in psychology at Princeton in 1953 and 1954 while a psychometric fellow at ETS.

He joined ETS full time in 1956 and stayed for the rest of his professional life. His contributions to psychometrics and allied areas of psychological testing were fundamental and extensive. He was promoted and honored often at ETS and honored by the American Psychological Assn., the American Educational Research Assn., and the Psychometric Society. In 1994 ETS cited him for his long service; according to colleagues, "With his encyclopedic knowledge and engaging manner, Sam has been a superb mentor to several generations of measurement professionals at ETS. He served as a trusted advisor to all four ETS presidents. They, as many others, have benefited from Sam's wise counsel on a broad range of technical issues as well as on such matters as top restaurants, fine wines, and interesting travel destinations."

A devoted family man, he is survived by his wife, Betty, two daughters, two sons, six grandchildren, and a sister, Pearl Wechter.

The Graduate Alumni


Lloyd Edward Stiffler Jr. *55

Lloyd E. Stiffler Jr. of Magnolia Springs, Ala., consulting civil engineer, died July 19, 1998. He was 64.

We have no details of his early life. In 1955 he earned an MS in civil engineering at Princeton and was elected an associate in the Society of Sigma Xi. He served as an officer in the civil engineering corps of the Navy. During his Navy career and subsequently in his consulting business, Lloyd took part in projects all over the world, including the development of the Navy's South Pole Station. His last Navy assignment was as staff civil engineer for the Naval War College in Newport, R.I.

After military service he taught at several universities. At the U. of Delaware he was associate dean of marine science. At Foley, Ala., he authored the supplemental building code for Baldwin County. He organized his own company, L. E. Stiffler Engineer L.L.C., and continued with many international projects in following years.

Lloyd was a registered professional engineer, a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, a Rotarian, and a member of the United Methodist Church. He is survived by his wife, Geraldine.

The Graduate Alumni


Paul B. Green *57

Paul Barnett Green, distinguished botanist, researcher, and teacher, died Aug. 18, 1998, of pancreatic cancer at his home in Stanford, Calif. He was 67. He received his undergraduate education at the U. of Pennsylvania and in 1957 earned a doctorate in biology from Princeton. Subsequently he was elected to the Society of Fellows at Harvard U. and spent three years at Harvard and at the Federal Technical Institute (ETH) in Zurich, Switzerland. He next joined the faculty at the U. of Pennsylvania, teaching there for 12 years. In 1971 he relocated to Stanford U., where he remained until his death.

His 40-year research career was as productive as his teaching career, perhaps even more so. At Harvard and in Switzerland he studied plant morphogenesis and continued this work for the remainder of his life. His pioneering contributions here and in developmental biology have been widely recognized and honored. Two weeks before he died, he was honored at a special symposium, followed by the Award of Merit of the Botanical Society of America for "his innovative, technically brilliant, and analytically fundamental work on plant morphogenesis." He received several other major awards in his field of endeavor.

He is survived by his wife, Margaret, a daughter, two sons, a sister, and five grandchildren.

The Graduate Alumni


Robert W. Oliver *57

Robert Warner Oliver, economist and teacher, died July 17, 1998, of a heart attack at his home in Pasadena, Calif. He served in the Navy during WWII, and earned a bachelor's at the U. of Southern California and a master's in economics and sociology at Princeton in 1950. He taught economics briefly at Pomona College. He also studied as a Social Science Research Fellow at the London School of Economics in 1954-55, returning then to Princeton to complete his doctorate in 1957.

He worked briefly at the Stanford Research Institute as a research economist. In 1959 he joined the faculty of the California Institute of Technology as an economist. During 1970-71 he was on leave from Caltech to serve on the economics of urbanization division of the World Bank in Washington, D.C., traveling to Indonesia and Taiwan.

He held many civic and volunteer posts in Pasadena organizations, including the Pasadena board of directors, the Pasadena Planning Commission, the Pasadena Utility Advisory Commission, and the board of directors of the Pasadena Minority History Foundation. He was president of the Pasadena Beautiful Foundation and on the Tournament of Roses Assn.

He was predeceased in 1987 by his first wife, Darlene. He is survived by his second wife, Jean, his daughter Lesley, and his son Stewart.

The Graduate Alumni


Edwin Harold Dahlgren Jr. *60

Edwin H. Dahlgren Jr., chemical engineer and consultant to the pulp and paper industry, died Apr. 30, 1998. He was 65.

Edwin attended the U. of Washington, where he earned both a BA and a BS in chemical engineering. He was also elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He earned a MS in chemical engineering at Princeton in 1960.

Edwin served his country as a pilot in the Air Force. At the conclusion of his Air Force service, he joined the engineering staff of the Georgia Pacific Co. in 1959. He remained in their employ as manager of engineering services and environmental director until his retirement in 1991. He then became a consultant in the same field. He held memberships in the Northwest Pulp and Paper Assn. and in the Technical Assn. of the Pulp and Paper Industry. He was also active in community affairs and as a member of the Bellingham school board.

An inveterate lover of the outdoors, Edwin spent much time, especially after his retirement, hiking, skiing, and mountain climbing with members of his family. The list of major peaks which he scaled in the Pacific Northwest is most formidable.

He is survived by his wife, Victoria, two daughters, one son, and a brother.

The Graduate Alumni


Eugene M. Shoemaker *60

Eugene Merle Shoemaker of Flagstaff, Ariz., distinguished astronomer and comet specialist, died July 18, 1987, in an automobile accident near Alice Springs, Australia. He was 69. His wife and close collaborator in astronomical research for decades suffered broken bones and was hospitalized. Their most famous joint discovery occurred Mar. 23, 1993, when with their friend and colleague, David Levy, they found a new streak on one of their plates. This was the first recognized evidence of the comet Shoemaker-Levy, a visitor from outside the solar system. In transiting Jupiter it was ripped into several fragments that bombarded the surface of Jupiter for four days, July 16-20, 1987, a spectacular astronomical performance. With Dr. Thomas Gehrels, Eugene predicted such a bombardment of earth is a distinct possibility.

Eugene earned his bachelor's at California Institute of Technology in 1947. A year later he joined the U.S. Geological Survey and served there until his retirement in 1993. He pursued graduate studies simultaneously and earned a master's from Princeton in 1954 and a doctorate in 1960, both in geological and geophysical sciences. He is survived by his wife, Carolyn, two daughters, and a son. The Shoemaker Team (Dr. & Mrs.) is credited with the discovery of 32 comets and 1,125 asteroids. These astronomical entities were named after the Shoemaker offspring and their spouses.

The Graduate Alumni


Joseph Albert Biesenberger *63

Joseph A. Biesenberger, professor of chemical engineering at Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, N.J., died Jan. 5, 1998, after a long battle with cancer. He was 63. He was also president emeritus of the Polymer Processing Institute.

Joseph earned his BS at the New Jersey Institute of Technology. At Princeton he earned an MS in chemical engineering in 1959 and a doctorate in chemical engineering in 1963. He did postdoctoral studies in Milan with Dr. Natta, a Nobel laureate. Joseph then returned to the U.S. and joined the faculty of Stevens Institute. He was chairman of the chemical engineering department from 1971-78.

In 1982 he was one of the two founders of the Polymer Processing Institute, a joint creation of Stevens and the New Jersey Institute of Technology. This group served as an independent, nonprofit industrial consulting corporation with extensive laboratory facilities on both campuses.

Joseph was an outstanding educator, an accomplished research scientist, and a pioneer in the application of basic chemical engineering principles to large-scale industrial plastics processing. His consuming avocation was sailing, usually under canvas.

His widow, Erna, and his sons, Michael and Jeffrey, survive him.

The Graduate Alumni


John D. Bell *70

Professor John D. Bell, historian at the U. of Maryland-Baltimore County and acknowledged authority on Bulgaria, died Dec. 4, 1998, of cancer at his home in Clarksville, Md. He was 56.

Born in Minneapolis, John was an alumnus of Yale, where he earned his bachelor's and master's in 1964-65, majoring in Russian and East European studies. He earned his doctorate in history at Princeton in 1970. During the last years of his graduate studies he also was an instructor at Monmouth College in New Jersey.

John joined the faculty of the U. of Maryland-BC in 1970 as assistant professor and continued there as a full professor, in addition to consulting for the Dept. of State since 1980. He became an authority on Bulgaria and served many roles in that function. He wrote and lectured extensively on Bulgaria, spent much time studying there, and was an official observer of the Bulgarian elections in 1990. He served on the board of the Bulgarian-American Trade Council and held membership in the American Assn. for the Advancement of Slavic Studies.

Susan, his first wife, predeceased him in 1986. He remarried and is survived by his wife, Judith, three daughters, and a stepdaughter.

The Graduate Alumni