Memorials - June 7, 2000

James Davis Winsor III '29

Jake died on Dec. 17, 1999. He was 91.

He came to Princeton from St. George's. His sport was crew and his club was Quadrangle. He began his career with his family's New York Stock Exchange firm, Thomas A. Biddle & Co. He was still working full-time until about 10 years before his death. He had served as a gov. of the Investment Bankers Assn. of America and was a trustee of nearly 40 boards, including the Presser Foundation, the Wistar Institute, and the Morris Animal Refuge. He was treas. of the Philadelphia Zoological Society.

An avid golfer, he was a member of the Gulph Mills Golf Club and the Pine Valley Golf Club. For 60 years he was a member of the Orpheus Club, a men's singing group in Philadelphia.

A WWII veteran, he was a part of the military group that evacuated Wernher von Braun and other German scientists from Peenemunde, keeping them out of the hands of the Russians. He was decorated for his service.

He is survived by his wife of 69 years, Sally Wistar Waterman Winsor, a daughter, Sally Wistar Miller, sons Henry and James D. IV, seven grandchildren, and seven great-grandchildren, and a sister-in-law, Curtin. To all of them, the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1929

Arthur Montgomery '31

Art was born Dec. 2, 1909, in NYC and died Dec. 31 in Albuquerque at the age of 90. He prepared at the Hill School and at Princeton he was a member of the freshman fencing team, and, the following year, was a member of Arbor Inn.

As an undergraduate he had been keen on geology and shortly after graduation was rewarded with a position as a geologist with the Titanium Alloy Manufacturing Co. In 1850 he received a PhD from Harvard and soon was an assistant professor of geology at Lafayette. He retired as a full professor in 1975.

In 1942 Art became the owner-operator of the Harding Mine in New Mexico, which produced critically needed tantalum, lithium, and beryllium during WWII. Following the war he continued for many years to work at the mine each summer. In 1953 he prepared a geology report for the New Mexico Bureau of Mines. He was a fellow of the Geological Society of America, the Mineralogical Society, and the AAAS, and a former member of the Princeton Club of New York.

Art is survived by one niece, Elizabeth Daner, and five great-nephews and nieces. The class extends its deepest sympathy to the entire family.

The Class of 1931

George S. Roudebush '31

George was born in St. Louis, lived there all his life, and died there Feb. 22, 2000, in St. Luke's Hospital after a brief illness.

After preparing at the Webb School, George entered Princeton and was a member of the class football team, crew squad, Princetonian make-up editor, Alumni Weekly undergraduate week columnist, a member of Triangle Club, Theatre Intime publicity director, and a member of Charter Club.

George received his LLB from Harvard law school in 1934 and went to work for Lashly, Lashly & Miller. In 1944 George entered the Marine Corps and served as an aviation ground officer in the Pacific, where he remained until his discharge in Dec. 1945, as a first-lt. He returned to his post with L.L. & M. until 1949, when he joined Bryan Cave. In 1963 he was appointed general counsel at McDonell Douglas Corp. In 1973 he returned to Bryan Cave and retired in 1989.

George was past pres. of the Bar Assn. of Metropolitan St. Louis, a former board member of St. Luke's Hospital, the World Affairs Council, and Confluence St. Louis, and served on the University City board of education.

Surviving are his wife of 63 years, Dorothy Coleman, two daughters, Susan R. Rava and Mary R. Nowotny, one son, George Jr., five grandchildren and one great-grandchild. The class extends its deepest sympathy to the entire family.

The Class of 1931

Frank E. Sagendorph III '31

Bud was born June 25, 1909, in Lansdowne, Pa., and died Feb. 4, 2000. He lived in Hilton Head Island at the time of his death, a victim of Alzheimer's.

He prepared at the Episcopal Academy and on matriculation at Princeton became assoiated with the swimming team, acquiring his numerals all four years.He was also a member of Colonial Club.

Before entering the manufacturing field, Bud worked as an architect in the Philadelphia firm of Dunham & Irvine, having earned a BA from the U. of Pennsylvania in 1937. During WWII he spent four years in the engineering corp of the US Navy. He was stationed in the British West Indies and held the rank of lt. when he left the service in 1946. He then became associated with Penn Metal Corporation, where he successively became v.p., director, and, in 1976, pres.

Bud enjoyed the Merion Golf Club, the Racquet Club, and the Princeton Club of Philadelphia, where he was seen quite frequently having lunch with his classmates.

Bud lost his wife, Mary Shippen Schenck, in 1991, but he has one surviving niece, Elizabeth Daner, five great-nephews, and one great-niece. The class extends its deepest sympathy to the entire family.

The Class of 1931

George W. Young '32

George Young died in Hartford, Conn., on June 16, 1999.

He prepared at Exeter and entered Princeton in the fall of 1928.

Following graduation he was employed by the New York Life Insurance Co. for 10 years, in the later of which it was as an actuary.

George, while at Princeton, had earned a commission as a second lt., Field Artillery, Reserve. Following the US entry into WWII, he was ordered to active duty. He was returned to inactive status in Nov. 1945, at which time he held the grade of lt.-col. and had been awarded the Legion of Merit.

That fall he joined Connecticut General Life Insurance Co. as an actuary. He retired in 1975 as senior v.p. and director.

George was active in Princeton AG (regional chair, Hartford area) and in other fund raising activities, including his church and the Community Chest.

George and Elizabeth P. Goss were married on Sept. 23, 1939. She survives him. He is also survived by their son, George Jr., and daughter, Nancy Luke, and by five grandchildren, to all of whom the class sends its condolences.

The Class of 1932

Charles Frederick Becker '34

Charlie Becker, chief pathologist at Sisters Hospital in Buffalo for 30 years before he retired in 1977, and a professor of pathology at the U. of Buffalo for 38 years, died Apr. 15, 2000. In addition to his long tenure at Sisters Hospital, he was assistant pathologist at Buffalo General Hospital and spent 18 years as chief attending pathologist and director of laboratories at Emergency Hospital and 26 years as consulting pathologist at Columbus Hospital.

In 1966, at the urging of several gynecologists who felt that hospital laboratories were too slow reporting Pap smear results, Charlie cofounded Parkway Cytology Lab, one of the area's first private cytology laboratories. In the 1940s he was asked how to improve autopsy tables. After making the modifications Charlie recommended, a local refrigerator manufacturer sold the tables worldwide under his name. Over the years, more than 10,000 Becker tables were shipped to hospitals, medical examiners, and other professionals.

Surviving are two daughters, Judith and Naniscah, two sons, David and Stephen, six grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren. To them we offer our sincere sympathies.

The Class of 1934

John Chester Botts Jr. '34

Chet Botts, a resident of St. Petersburg, Fla., since 1973, died at Bayfront Medical Center on Mar. 26. A retired advertising executive with service at Foote Cone & Belding, J. Walter Thompson, McCann-Erickson, and the Al Paul Lefton Agency, he tried to prove his dislike for the word "retired," as he once wrote, by establishing a marketing and advertising consultant business in Florida and lecturing at local colleges. In addition, he was a former pres. of the Anthonians at St. Anthony's Hospital for eight years, a former director of the United Way, and a 20-year member of Intl. Service Corps and served in Sri Lanka and India. "In any spare time," he wrote not long ago, he and his wife, the former Priscilla "Peggy" Fenner (College of New Rochelle '36), were both "avid tennis partners."

Chet married Peggy in 1939, and they lived in Bronxville, N.Y., for nearly 25 years before moving to St. Petersburg. Chet was a gov. of the Bronxville Field Club and of the New York Metropolitan Squash Racquets Assn. He was the eighth-ranked squash player in NYC.

Surviving, besides Peggy, are two sons, John C. III and Theodore P., a daughter, Priscilla B. Ditchfield, six grandchildren, and a great-grandchild. To them we offer our sincere sympathies.

The Class of 1934

Victor Emanuel Costanzo '34

Vic Costanzo, retired hospital administrator at Harrington Memorial Hospital in Southbridge, Mass., for 18 years and at A. R. Gould Memorial Hospital in Presque Isle, Maine, before moving west to Yarmouth, Mass., in 1974, died at the Cape Cod Hospital Extended Care Community Pavilion on Mar. 7, 2000.

During WWII Vic served in medical services in the Army. He then earned his master's in hospital administration and taught that subject for four years at St. Louis U. in Missouri. His first job in Massachusetts was as assistant hospital administrator at Mount Auburn Hospital in Cambridge. Years later, as he was contemplating retirement, he wrote to a classmate, "I don't think that anyone who continues to administer the running of a hospital could remotely be considered retired." But he did retire in 1974.

His wife, Irene Paquette Costanzo, whom he married in 1959, survives, as do a brother, Louis, and several nieces and nephews. To them we offer our sincere sympathies.

The Class of 1934

John Benjamin Dorrance Jr. '34

Johnnie Dorrance, a retired expert in passenger service with the old Pennsylvania Railroad and director of its high-speed Washington-Philadelphia-New York (Northeast Corridor) project in the late 1960s, which introduced the operation of the Metroliner, died Mar. 10 after a long illness. Since 1989 John and his wife of 60 years, Frances "Sis" Denison Dorrance (William & Mary '35), who survives, lived at Meadowood, a retirement community in Worcester, Pa. His last days were spent in Meadowood's skilled nursing facility.

A devoted Princetonian, John was a candidate for class treas. in 1959 and helped locally with AG in the 1960s and 1970s. Not long ago he wrote, "I have enjoyed every hour of being retired. . . . Most of all, our life together and our growing family. All this and a Princeton education-I have so very much to be thankful for."

Surviving, besides Frances, are two daughters, Patti and Jane, and four grandchildren. To them we offer our sincere sympathies.

The Cass of 1934

Edward Reilly Ralston '34

Pat Ralston, who retired in 1976 from DuPont Co. as a cost engineer after 35-plus years, died of heart failure at Crosslands retirement community in Kennett Square, Pa., on Apr. 2. His last 10 years with DuPont were with DuPont Intl. plants in Ireland, England, Holland, Luxembourg, Germany, and Brazil.He served as a supervisor of Birmingham Township in Chester County, Pa., for 12 years and as a board member of the Chadds Ford Historical Society in the mid-1980s.

"One of my greatest satisfactions," he wrote not long ago, "is having become a Friend (Quaker), and we have been fairly active in our Birmingham meetins. Currentlt enjoy surf-fishing (my golf game has degenerated to croquet!), Scottish country dancing, reading, and chess."

During WWII Pat served as an air traffic controller with the rank of capt. in the Army Air Corps in both Europe and the South Pacific. In 1962 he became a member of the Unionville-Chadds Ford school board. He lived at Keepsake on the Brandywine River in Chadds Ford, "an old country house with large gardens," in his words, for 31 years.

In 1948 Pat married Sonia Scott, who survives, as do their three sons, Peter, Mark and David, and five grandchildren. To them we offer our sincere sympathies.

The Class of 1934

Malcolm Lloyd Wister '34

Mike Wister, a descendant of "The Fabulous Wisters" of Grumblethorpe, their landmark ancestral home on Germantown Ave. in Philadelphia, which has stood since 1744, died Apr. 21, 2000, after a long illness.

Mike's latest business venture was HiCalCo Inc., a small corporation which sold high-calcium byproduct lime to heavy industry for neutralizing acid water. He dissolved the corporation in 1982. Before HiCalCo, Mike worked for Sun Oil after college, did some industrial construction, and spent more than 10 years in the brokerage business with E. F. Hutton. During WWII he enlisted as a private in the 108th Field Artillery in 1940, and six years later, after stateside and overseas duty, was discharged as a lt.-col.

In retirement, "depending on the season," he wrote, "golf and skiing take up much of my time."

Mike is survived by his wife, Lillian Hirschbeck Wister, an artist whom he married in 1985 (his first wife, Mary "Polly" Mann Adams Wister, died in 1980), a daughter, Mary, and two brothers, Caspar '32 and L. Wynne '36. To them we offer our sincere sympathies.

The Class of 1934

Charles Brown Atwater '35

Son of Edward S. Atwater Jr. '04, and Jeannette S. Brown, Charlie died on Mar. 10 in Grafton, Vt., at 85. He prepared for Princeton at Pingry School, where he played football and baseball and served on both its publications and student government boards. At Princeton he majored in the classics, roomed with Henry Patton, and was a member of Tiger Inn. He spent a 40-year career in teaching, broken only by Navy service during WWII. First came two years teaching at New England prep schools. Then Charlie returned to Pingry to concentrate his passion for Latin on sixth, seventh, and eighth graders for more than two decades. He became Pingry's headmaster in 1961.

Charlie and his wife, the former Helen K. Emmens, participated in numerous alumni activities at Princeton and Pingry and church volunteer work. After he retired to Grafton in 1970, he taught five more years at the Vermont Academy, Saxtons River, and became a director of the Windham Foundation and Bunbury Co., whose primary interest centers on New Jersey organizations that aid handicapped or under-privileged youth, ecological and environmental concerns, and the encouragement of the arts and education. Helen died in 1988. His survivors include a son, Charles Jr., two daughters, Christine Jackson and Sheldon Lekach, and four grandchildren.

The Class of 1935

John Loeser Black Jr. '35

Jack died Jan. 16 in Wyndmoor, Pa. He prepared for Princeton at St. Albans and Kent School. At Princeton he majored in economics, rowed on the 150-lb. crew freshman through junior years, became assistant coach in his senior year, and was a member of Colonial Club.

He and the former Mary Timanus were married on Feb. 18, 1939. Their first son, John L. C. Black '63, was born two years later. Then came WWII. Jack joined the Navy, was assigned to Pacific Naval Air Operations, and emerged in 1945 as a lt.-comdr. He and a partner founded Alcorn & Black, a fuel and farm supply firm in Ambler, Pa., and the Blacks moved to nearby Blue Bell. In the late 1970s, Jack sold his interest in Alcorn & Black and he and "Timmy" moved to Springhouse Estates, a retirement community in Lower Gwynedd, Pa. They spent five years running the Blue Bell Country Store; Jack also operated a tree nursery and served briefly as acting director of the nearby Morris Arboretum.

The Blacks eldest son, J. L. C., died in 1993. "Timmy" died in Dec. 1998-just two months before they could celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary. Survivors include three other sons (Timothy, Robert, and Herbert), 11 grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1935

Richard Harding Bosworth '35

Dick lived almost his entire life in Colorado, where he died on Feb. 17. Dick graduated from East Denver H.S. Arriving at Princeton five years after his older brother, Otis B. '30, Dick majored in history, sang four years with the Glee Club, and belonged to the Intl. Relations Club.

After graduation Dick worked as export manager at his family-owned Denver Fire Clay Co. Several serious leg accidents made Dick unacceptable for military service, but he was welcomed by the State Department's Office of Economic Warfare, which made him an administration officer, Mine Supply Control District of Mexico.

He returned to Denver in late 1945, becoming a director, Denver Fire Clay, also executive officer and branch manager, Electrical Specialties Co. That lasted 20 years. He then retired to concentrate on favorite charities-the Denver Art Museum, Intl. House, Pan American Society, and projects in support of Native Americans and their culture.

Dick never married. His survivors include three nieces (his deceased sister's daughters), a first cousin, Robert G. Bosworth Jr. '46, and a longtime companion, Gwendolyn Barbour.

The Class of 1935

James Michael Curran Jr. '35

Jimmy died Oct. 10 in Houston. He was 86. He prepared for Princeton at Mercersburg Academy, where his father was a renowned track coach and Jimmy a member of the boxing and gym as well as track team. At Princeton he majored in geology, lettered in track ,and served on Dial Lodge's executive committee. His career highlights were, in his own words: "In Aug. 1935 I came to Houston as a geologist for Tidewater Oil Co., working for eight years in the states of Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and New Mexico, as well as Texas. Then came a return to Houston as chief geologist for Indiola Oil Co., until 1951, when I became chief geologist for Eastern States Petroleum and Chemical Corp." Jimmy rose to that company's production and exploration manager, a job that took him to Canada, all of Central America, Colombia, Peru, and Venezuela.

Jimmy remained a consulting geologist until his death. His interest in track also continued over the decades. Golf eventually became his favorite hobby. "I had a hole-in-one at a Princeton-Yale tournament (in Houston) three years ago," he told classmates in 1960. His wife, the former Nathalie Sandoz, predeceased him. He leaves two sons, James M. III and Stephen, and five grandchildren.

The Class of 1935

Edward Mercur Williams '36

Ned died Mar. 15 after a long illness in Lansdale, Pa., at the age of 85. He prepared at Wyoming Seminary. At Princeton he majored in English and was a member of Key and Seal. He received a master's from Columbia U. He spent productive years teaching college English and in a number of public relations endeavors. As assistant to the pres. of the Community College of Philadelphia, the students voted him the most helpful staff member.

His service to Princeton and to our class was outstanding. He was our class sec., class agent, and chair of the Alumni Council's committee on class affairs. He enjoyed reading, writing, teaching, and travel.

During WWII, after studying Japanese, he served in Army intelligence in the Washington area, including the Pentagon. He was honorably discharged in 1947.

He is survived by his wife, Alice Meacham Williams, a son, Daniel Hugh, daughters Louise Clark, Anne Winterson, Ruth Menning, and seven grandchildren.

We will miss his clever and meaningful poems, many of which appeared in our class column in the Princeton Alumni Weekly.

The Class of 1936

George Y. Wheeler II '37

George Wheeler, who retired in 1961 as v.p. and chief Washington lobbyist for RCA, died at age 83 on Feb. 2 of a liver ailment and pancreatitis. He left a widow of 35 years, Katherine, children George III '63, Jedediah, Jane, and Elizabeth, and stepchildren Percy, James, and Elizabeth, four grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren.

George was in the French Club at Choate. He majored in French (modern languages) at Princeton and was in Charter Club. He also graduated from George Washington U. law school.

He began his career as a page at NBC's WRC radio affiliate in Washington in the 1930s. He was later a guide, announcer, master of ceremonies for band broadcasts, and writer. He also produced and managed news and variety programs. He was a correspondent for NBC during WWII, assigned to Europe and landed with Allied forces in the Normandy invasion of 1944.

Hobbies included piloting small planes and helicopters, yachting, and cabinet-making. He worked for various citizens organizations, hospital and church, and was a member of various clubs.

The Class of 1937

Morris S. Emory '38

Mouse died on Mar. 3 in Haverford, Pa., after declining in health in recent years. Having spent his life "behind the eight ball," he always refused to give up the good fight.

Mouse was born and raised in Baltimore and spent his summers at a family home in Brooklin, Maine. He was graduated from the Gilman School and at Princeton was a member of the Ivy Club, capt. of the wrestling team his junior and senior years, and two-time Eastern intra-collegiate wrestling champion.

In 1941 Mouse married Mary Leisenring, and, after WWII, where he received a Purple Heart for wounds sustained on the German front, they made their home in Haverford. His career was spent working for the insurance brokerage firm of Johnson & Higgins in Philadelphia, and he served on the board of the Philadelphia Children's Aid Society. After he retired he was active with Town Watch and enthusiastically served as the chair of the golf committee for several years at Gulph Mills Golf Club.

Mary predeceased Mouse in 1995 and they are survived by his brother, Richard W., their three sons, Mark, Robby, and Denny '70, daughter Cally Golding, and six grandchildren to all of whom the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1938

Stuart Dubois Cowan '39

Pioneer amateur radio operator, marketing executive, publisher, and writer, Stu died Nov. 15, 1999, at Concord Hospital, near his home in Henniker, N.H., where he and his wife, Grace, have lived since 1984. During WWII he served as communications officer aboard the destroyer USS Barton, seeing action in the Atlantic and Pacific theaters, including the invasion of Normandy. His business career began in advertising, went on to commercial marketing for Raytheon Corp. until he became pres. of United Research Inc. in Cambridge, Mass. In 1969 he turned to publishing and writing. He was half-owner of Radio Publications, Inc., coauthoring seven books on communications. He wrote two books on health/medical subjects, one with Dr. Ted Beattie, Toward the Conquest of Cancer, which Stu dedicated to his first wife, Pauline Benedict, who died of lung cancer in 1974. While writing and publishing, he also managed the Greenwood Union Cemetery, Rye, N.Y., a family business founded in 1902. An amateur radio operator for 68 years, he was a lifetime member of the Institute of Electrical Engineers, the US Naval Institute and the Society of Wireless Pioneers.

Stu is survived by his wife, Grace, his sons, Stuart '65 and Robert, his brother, David '41, his stepchildren, Candace and Jan Lombardi, and seven grandchildren. With them we celebrate the life of our gifted and generous old friend.

The Class of 1939

Edward Bernard Cornelius '40 *41

Retired chemical engineer Ed Cornelius died on Sept. 13, 1999, after living in Sarasota, Fla., for the past 10 years. His interest in research on catalysts and catalytic processes was stimulated during his undergraduate and graduate years at Princeton, where he roomed with Dick Vanderbeck.

In 1941 Ed went to work to find practical ways to use catalytic processes to produce more and better aviation gasoline. After the war he was involved in research and development projects at Houdry and Air Products and later with Matthey Bishop in precious metals catalysis. He wound up his career in Kentucky coordinating heavy stocks cracking catalysts research at Ashland Oil.

In his 50th year report to the class, Ed wrote, "I always enjoyed the challenge of finding better catalysts and better ways for them to perform." Over a period of 45 years there were a great number of in-house reports and technical publications, and a total of 30 US and 40 foreign patents issued in his name. Ed's retirement years were marked by travel, biking, and photography.

Ed is survived by a daughter, Nancy, an electrical engineer and son Jeffrey, a chemistry professor at Principia College, and two grandchildren. To the entire family the class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1940

Ridgely Prentiss Melvin Jr. '40

Maryland special appeals judge and ocean mariner extraordinaire, Ridgely Melvin died at his Annapolis residence on Oct. 11, 1999. Ridge was born and lived almost his entire life at Melvin Point, overlooking the Chesapeake Bay's South River. He came to Princeton from Alexandra, Va., Episcopal H.S., majored in politics, and was a member of Cap and Gown. He was on the freshman and jayvee swimming teams, played end on our championship 150-lb. football teams, and was active in the Yacht Club. During WWII Ridge served as an officer aboard the battleship Washington in the Pacific naval campaigns. As a devoted yachtsman from childhood, Ridge raced in a variety of classes and won the Triton Class Natl. Championship in the early 1970s. In 1985 he and wife Lucy sailed their sloop Song across the Atlantic. For the next eight years they lived aboard while sailing through European and Mediterranean waters.

Ridge's law career was distinguished both as a judge and trial lawyer. He was a member of the three-judge panel that disbarred V.P. Agnew for "deceitful and dishonest conduct" and found him unfit as a member of the Maryland bar.

The class extends its sympathy to Ridge's entire family including his sister, Elizabeth, widow of Don Patterson. We will miss Ridge.

The Class of 1940

Kirby Dwight Jr. '49

Kirby died on Oct. 5, 1999, in Wakefield, R.I. He was 71. He came to Princeton from Exeter and majored in physics, graduating with highest honors. Kirby was a member of Court Club and the pistol team.

After graduation Kirby attended Harvard and it is believed that he earned a PhD. After leaving Harvard he worked first at MIT's Lincoln Lab, then went to Brown U. as a professor in the chemistry department. Kirby did not keep touch with the class and not much is known of his life.

His next of kin are listed as a daughter, Mariam Schwartz, and a son, Jon K. The class extends it sympathy to them for their loss.

The Class of 1949

Walton George Grayson III '49

Walt died Dec. 21, 1999, at home. He was 71. He came to Princeton from Highland Park H.S. in Dallas. He majored in economics and was a member of Dial Lodge. He attended our 50th reunion and there are pictures of him in Tigers' Tale, including one of him driving the cart at the head of the 1980-89 contingent, with Bennetta beside him.

After graduation Walt attended Harvard law school and then served in the Navy with the Judge Advocate General. On returning to Dallas, he was a partner in several law firms prior to becoming v.p. and general council of the Southland Corp. After suffering a stroke prior to our 45th reunion, he retired to tend to his cattle farm.

Walt is survived by his wife of 44 years, Bennetta, sons Walton IV, Dwight, Bennett, and Mark, and six grandchildren. The class extends it sincere sympathy to them all.

The Class of 1949

Hunter Venable Herndon '49

Ven died Dec. 8, 1999, of acute Leukemia. He was 72. He came to Princeton from the Lawrenceville School and majored in modern languages, graduating with high honors. He was a member of Cloister Inn. He served in the Army.

After graduation Ven became a playwright and screenwriter as well as a teacher of those arts at NYU's Tisch School of the Arts. He was still active in teaching there until just before his death. His best known screenplay was his 1969 collaboration with the director Arthur Penn on "Alice's Restaurant." The movie starred Arlo Guthrie and was based on Guthrie's song of the same name. He was also the author of a book about the life of James Dean.

He is survived by his wife, Sharon Anson, and a daughter, Isabelle Molinaro. The class extends its deepest sympathy to them both.

The Class of 1949

David L. Milbank '51

David died of heart and kidney ailments on Mar. 2 at home in Sandy, Utah. The Internet identified him as "CIA officer, author." He was both, but to '51 he was even more. Born in Vancouver, he roomed with Duane Seidler, Gerry Townsend, and Guy Bell, majored in politics, was on the board of the Nassau Sovereign, was a member of the Rifle Club, Pacific Coast Club, Court Club, and associate manager of the crew.

David earned two master's, one at Johns Hopkins, the other from the Army's Command and General Staff College. In 1982 he became the top civilian graduate of the Industrial College of the Armed Forces.

From 1951-57 David served in the Korean War. He then transferred to military intelligence and retired as a lt.-col. in 1982. Among his duties in the CIA were: directorate of operations and intelligence. In the early 1960s he was vice consul in Zagreb and published several articles on international terrorism.

David was also an outdoorsman: horseman, golfer, Boy Scout leader, and an active environmentalist.

He is survived by Sally, his wife of 40 years, and three children, Michelle, Karen, and Thomas. They have the class's deep sympathy.

The Class of 1951

Faris Russell Kirkland '53

Soldier and military scholar, Faris Kirkland, died at home in Bryn Mawr, Pa., on Feb. 22 after a three-year battle with cancer.

"T" came to us from the Haverford School. He was a member of Colonial Club. He graduated cum laude in psychology and was elected to Sigma Xi.

He married his childhood sweetheart, "Moppet" (Emelyn Ewer, Bryn Mawr '54), in 1953 and began a 20-year career in the Army, serving as an artillery officer in both Korea and Vietnam. In the late 1960s he joined the U. of Pennsylvania's military science department and instituted broadranging interdisciplinary courses that legitimized military science as an academic discipline and kept ROTC in place. He retired in 1973 a lt.-col.

He earned a PhD in history at Penn and launched a distinguished second career in military history. He published widely, and, in 1986, was appointed research military social historian at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, division of neuropsychiatry. He was regarded as one of the country's leading historians of US Army leadership doctrine and practice and was considered an authority on the French Air Force in WWII.

He came from a family with many Princeton connections, among them: his cousin, William A. Kirkland '19, a trustee of the university; his uncle, Peter P. Blanchard Jr. '35; cousins Maco ('52) and Wells ('54) Stewart, and several nieces and nephews.

He is survived by his wife, Moppet, their three children, F. Russell Jr., Story K. Biddle, and Victoria K. Carchidi, and two much-loved grandsons, Benjamin and Jacob Biddle.

The Class of 1953

Roland Harry Kratzer Jr. '53

Bud Kratzer, who attended the Boston reunion and whose picture appeared in a recent class notes column, died Feb. 28 in New Haven.

Bud, whose home was in Branford, Conn., prepared at the Hopkins School. He ate his meals at Campus Club, was on the fencing team, belonged to the Institute of Radio Engineers, and was technical director of WPRU. He majored in physics, completed the NROTC program and was commissioned an ensign when he received his diploma. After his tour of duty, he returned to Connecticut and joined his father in the family mortgage banking business. In 1958 he married the former Joan Montgomery. Northeast Bancorp acquired the Roland Kratzer Co., which became NBI Investment Corp., and Bud was its pres. until he retired in 1990.

Bud's hobbies were woodworking and sailing. He built his own 34-foot sailboat and outfitted the interior from scratch, his longtime friend and two-year college roommate, Jeff Neville recalls. In retirement Bud switched from sailing to motoring on his 36-foot trawler. He is survived by Joan, and children Ellen K. Rose '84, Macolm '86, and Roland H. III. A loyal classmate all the way, Bud was buried wearing his '53 tie.

The Class of 1953

Paul B. Sigler '55

Paul Sigler, one of the world's leading structural biologists, died of cardiac arrest Jan. 11, 2000.

Paul attended Bennett H.S. in Buffalo, N.Y., where he led both the student council and senior class. At Princeton he majored in chemistry, played IAA sports, joined the Creative Arts Group, the Chemical Society, Dial Lodge, and WPRU as a disc jockey.

Following training as a physician at Columbia P&S, where he also served his internship and residency, Paul turned full-time to basic research. He began working on enzyme function at NIH and in 1964 joined a small, prestigious group at the Medical Research Council in Cambridge, England, where he continued his work on the atomic structure of enzymes. He then spent 20 years at the U. of Chicago, where he established the structure of the RNA molecule involved in protein synthesis, and began work on gene expression.

In 1989 Paul joined the Yale faculty and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. According to his colleagues, "Sigler's impact on the field of structural biology far exceeds his own contributions, as enormous as they are. He was an exciting and engaging presence . . . who communicated his enthusiasm for science to many over the world."

Paul is survived by his wife, Jo, brother Miles, daughters Jennifer, Michele '82, Deborah, Rebecca Africano, and son John '85. To them, we extend our deep sympathy.

The Class of 1955

Edwin Russell Stearns III '55

Russell Stearns died of cancer Nov. 15, 1999, in East Hyde Park, Ohio. He was born and reared in the Cincinnati area, where he lived most of his life.

Russ graduated cum laude from Lawrenceville. At Princeton he majored in economics and joined Charter Club. His roommates included James Chaplin, Paul Charbin, William Landers, and Stockton Lehmann.

Russ was owner and pres. of Product Investment, Inc. in East Hyde Park. His interests included music, golf, and politics; he loved to play the piano and could play by ear beautifully. He met his wife, Margot, in Germany, where he owned franchise businesses in Munich and Frankfurt. He returned to the Cincinnati area after selling his franchise businesses in 1974.

Russ made friends easily and charmed both the young and the not so young. Infectious laughter and good fellowship were integral parts of his being. Russ was a great-grandson of one of the founders of the Stearns and Foster mattress company.

The Class extends its deep sympathy to his widow Margot.

The Class of 1955

GO TO the Table of Contents of the current issue

GO TO PAW's home page