William Bailey Russel
A.W. Marks ‘19 Professor
and Dean Graduate School
Current Research Group
- Wes Kopacka Ph.D. Candidate, B.S. Carnegie Mellon University
- Denis Shcherbakov Ph.D. Candidate, B.S.E. California Institute of Technology
- Ning Wu Ph.D. Candidate, B.S.E. & M.S.E. National University of Singapore
- Rose Ndong Ph.D. Candidate, B.S. University of Massachusetts
- Weining Man Post-doctoral Fellow, PhD, Physics, Princeton University
- Douglas H. Berry (November 1981)
The Rheological Effects of Hydrodynamic and Electrostatic Interactions in Solutions of Semirigid Polyelectrolytes.
Current Position: Boeing Co., Seattle WA
- Stephen J. Niksa (January 1982) [with D.A. Saville]
Time-Resolved Kinetics of Rapid Coal Devolatilization.
Current Position: Niksu Energy Associates, Belmont, CA
- Alan B. Glendinning (September 1982)
Sedimentation and Diffusion in Concentrated Colloidal Dispersions.
Current Position: Tyco Electronics Corp., Menlo Park CA
- Sangtae Kim (December 1982)
Modeling of Porous Media via Renormalization of the Stokes Equation.
Current Position: Department of Chemical Engineering, Purdue University
- Christopher J. Durning (December 1982) [with L.R. Rebenfeld]
Coupled Diffusion and Morphological Changes in Amorphous Polyesters.
Current Position: Department of Chemical Engineering, Columbia University, New York City, NY
- Richey M. Davis (June 1984)
The Thermodynamic and Rheological Properties of Dilute Polyelectrolyte Solutions.
Current Position: Department of Chemical Engineering, VPISU, Blacksburg VA
- Jerry R. Bautista (October 1984) [with D.A. Saville]
Time-resolved Pyrolysis Product Distributions of Softening Coals.
Current Position: Intel Corporation, Santa Clara, CA
- Alice P. Gast (October 1984) [with C.K. Hall]
A Study of Polymer-Induced Phase Transitions in Colloidal Suspensions.
Current Position: Lehigh University, Bethlehem PA
- Richard C. Sonntag (June 1985)
Structure and Breakup of Flocs Subjected to Shear Stresses.
Current Position: DuPont Experimental Station, Wilmington DE [Marshall Laboratory, Philadelphia PA]
- Prakash D. Patel (September 1987)
Rheological Properties of Aqueous Colloidal Suspensions Phase Separated by Dissolved Polymer
Current Position: Prochem Solutions Pte. Limited, Singapore
- Sanjib Mall (March 1988)
The Elasticity of Flocculated Colloidal Suspensions.
Current Position: Thinkware Solutions Pvt. Ltd., Pune, India
- Harry J. Ploehn (September 1988) [with C.K. Hall]
Self-Consistent Field Theory for Polymer Adsorption.
Current Position: Department of Chemical Engineering, University of South Carolina, Columbia SC
- Norman J. Wagner (October 1988)
Non-Equilibrium Statistical Mechanics of Concentrated Suspensions.
Current Position: Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Delaware, Newark DE
- François Auzerais (November 1988) [with R. Jackson]
Transient Settling of Stable and Flocculated Dispersions.
Current Position: Schlumberger-Doll Research, Houston TX
- Carolyn L. Bolton (January 1989) [with P.G. Debenedetti]
Brownian Dynamics Studies of the Disorder-Order Transition in Concentrated Colloidal Suspensions.
- Kevin E. Davis (September 1989)
Sedimentation and Crystallization of Hard-Sphere Colloidal Suspensions
Current Position: ICI Americas, Beaumont TX
- Maria M. Santore (September 1989) [with R.K. Prud'homme]
The Effects of Hydrophobically Modified Water-Soluble Polymer on the Phase Behavior of Colloidal Dispersions.
Current Position: Department of Polymer Science and Materials, Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst MA
- Francisco E. Torres (October 1990) [with W.R. Schowalter]
Rapid Coagulation of Colloids in Viscous Flows.
Current Position: Xerox PARC, Palo Alto CA
- Charlton Shen (November 1994)
Consolidating Flocculated Colloidal Dispersions from Aggregates to Networks
Current Position: Hamilton, Brook, Smith & Reynolds, P.C., Concord, Massachusetts
- Mae C. Grant (December 1994)
Structure and Elasticity of Colloidal Silica Gels.
Current Position: Huntsman Advanced Materials, Brewster, NY
- Robert A. Lionberger (December 1995)
Rheology, Structure, and Diffusion in Concentrated Colloidal Dispersions.
Current Position: US Food and Drug Administration, Gaithersburg MD
- Ramesh Hariharan (February 1996)
Diblock Copolymers Adsorption on Colloidal Spheres: Studies in Selective and non-Selective Solvents.
Current Position: McKinsey & Company, Florham Park, NJ
- Udit Batra (June 1996)
Structure and Rheology of AOT Microemulsions: Viscosity Anomalies, Fluctuations, and Associating Polymers.
Current Position: Novartis International AG, Basel, Switzerland
- Jacqueline A. Goveas (October 1996)
Problems in Statics and Dynamics of Self-Assembling Systems.
- See-Eng Phan (February 1998)
Thermodynamic and Rheological Properties of Hard Sphere Dispersions.
Current Position: Applied Materials, Santa Clara CA
- Quynh T. Pham (November 1999)
Phase Behavior and Rheology of Telechelic Associative Polymers in Solution and Latex Dispersions
Current Position: Johnson & Johnson Consumer and Personal Care Products, Skillman, NJ
- Chaijen Lai (November 1999) [with R.A. Register]
Block Copolymer Phase Behavior: From Melt to Solution
Current Position: Bristol Myers Squibb, New Brunswick NJ
- Alexander F. Routh (January 2000)
A Process Model for Latex Film Formation
Current Position: Department of Chemical Engineering, Cambridge University, Cambridge UK
- Surita R. Bhatia (February 2000)
Structure and Rheology of Associative Triblocks in Microemulsion Solutions
Current Position: Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Massachusetts, Amherst MA
- Stacey L. Elliott (December 2000)
Effects of Grafted and Soluble Polymer on the Structure and Rheology of Dispersions
Current Position: CIBA Vision Corporation, Duluth GA [National Starch & Chemicals, Bridgewater NJ]
- Bing-Shiou Yang (January 2002)
Interaction between Hydrophobically Modified Polymer and Surfactant Mesophases
Current Position: Bristol Myers Squibb, New Brunswick NJ
- Xiaoxia Meng (April 2003)
Correlations between Molecular Structure, Aggregation, and Rheology for Telechelic Associative Polymers in Aqueous Solutions
National Starch and Chemicals, Bridgewater NJ
- Brian Hamilton (September 2003)
Preparation and Characterization of Polyelectrolyte Coated Particles
Current Position: Merck & Co., West Point PA
- W. Todd Gilleland (May 2004)
New Bounds to Estimate the Sedimentation Velocities of Monodisperse and Binary Colloidal Suspensions
Current Position: SciTec, Princeton NJ
- Leonard F. Pease III (October 2005)
Pattern Formation in Polymer via Electrohydrodynamic Instabilities and Glassy Fracture
Current Position: National Institutes of Standards and Technology, Bethesda MD
- Mark Iiyama (1978)
The Viscosity of Dilute Polyelectrolyte Solutions
- Mark A. Ziegler (1979) [with R.P. Andres]
Application of Superheated Liquids in Spraying
- Lawrence E. Heyd (1982) [with D.A. Saville]
Weight Loss Behavior of Coal during Rapid Pyrolysis and Hydropyrolysis
- Paul A. Sprague (1985)
Colloidal Silica Dispersions as a Model System for Studying Microstructure Development during Slip Casting
- Frank T.Y. Chiu (1992)
Sedimentation of Nanoscale Particles
Post-doctoral Fellows 1990-
- Michele Gee 1990-91
PhD, Chemistry, University of Melbourne
Current Position: Associate Professor and Reader, School of Chemistry, University of Melbourne, AU
- Andrei Potanin 1993-94
PhD, Physical Chemistry, Moscow State University
Current Position: Research Staff, Quantegy, Opelika AL
- Jixiang Zhu 1992-97 [with P.M. Chaikin]
PhD, Physics, City College of New York
Current Position: Correlator.com, Bridgewater NJ
- Zhengdong Cheng 1998-2000 [with P.M. Chaikin]
PhD, Physics, Princeton University
Current Position: Assistant Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering, Texas A&M University
- Fabian Gerbel 1999-2000 [with P.M. Chaikin]
PhD, Biophysics, Curie Institute, Paris
- Andrew D. Hollingsworth 1997-2005 [with D.A. Saville/P.M. Chaikin]
PhD, Chemical Engineering, Lehigh University
Current Position: Research Staff, New York University
- Isabella Goldmints 1999-2000
PhD, Chemical Engineering, MIT
Current Position: Staff Member, Unilever Research US, Edgewater NJ
- Mischa Megens 1999-2001
PhD, Physics, University of Amsterdam
Current Position: Staff Member, Philips Research, Eindhoven, Netherlands
- Reghan Hill 2000-2003 [with D.A. Saville]
PhD, Chemical Engineering, Cornell
Current Position: Assistant Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
- Mahesh Tirumkudulu 2001-2003
PhD, Chemical Engineering, CCNY
Current Position: Assistant Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India