Renoir lithograph

| 1 Comment
renoir1.jpg

Pierre-Auguste Renoir (1841-1919), Le petit garcon au porte-plume (The Little Boy with the Pen), ca. 1910. Lithograph. Graphic Arts French Prints.

Renoir sketched his eldest son Claude as the boy was quietly writing in the artist’s studio one day. Drawing with a greasy crayon on special transfer paper, Renoir did not have to worry about the complex problems of lithography. When he was finished, he simply gave the drawing to the master printer Auguste Clot (1858-1936), who printed an unsigned edition of fifty.

See entry no. 55 in: Auguste Renoir (1841-1919), The Graphic Work of Renoir, catalogue raisonné́ compiled by Joseph G. Stella (Bradford: Lund Humphries, between 1971 and 1975). Marquand Library (SA) ND553.R2 S74

1 Comment

I am in possession of two Renoir lithographs that my grandfather brought back from france after WWI. Neither is in Renoir's Catalogue Rasonne. The reason I write is that one of them in particular bears great likeness to "le petite garcon au porte plume" but is a better picture signed in the stone. If you would like to see a picture of it please email me at geppreston@gmail.com.