Smoke condition cleared in Fine Hall, Feb. 16

Feb. 16, 2010 6:17 p.m.

Operations at Fine Hall have resumed, and there were no injuries related to a report of smoke in the building at 5 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 16.

Fire personnel responded to Fine Hall shortly after 5 p.m. after a smoke alarm went off because of a smoke condition inside a hot water heater pump room on the building's seventh floor. Occupants were evacuated for approximately an hour to allow fire officials to clear smoke from the building. No damage was caused to the pump room or to the building.

Occupants were allowed back inside the building shortly after 6 p.m. Personnel from the Princeton Township Fire Department, Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory Fire Department and the University Department of Public Safety responded to the scene.

It appears the cause of the smoke condition was a water pump that became overheated due to an electrical malfunction. Fine Hall is an academic building located on Washington Road.