Thursday April 17, 2014
Outdoor Action Student & Alumni Expeditions
Princetonians finish the Discovery Channel Eco-Challenge in Patagonia
After eight days and nine hours, the Tigers kayaked the final leg to the finish line of the 1999 Discovery Channel Eco-Challenge coming in 31st. The Tiger Adventure Racing team includes OA Leader & Board Member Janine Pisani McGuire '92, Rick Corcoran '95, Ben Stefanski & Jon Ziglar '95. They are competing in one of the most grueling adventure races in the world along with 52 other teams December 1-12. The race is 300 miles through Argentina over 10 days, racing 24 hours a day. Legs of the race include Horseback Riding, Mountaineering (rock, ice, snow), Lake Kayaking, Whitewater Canoeing, Ascending and Descending using Fixed Ropes. Read the race reports at:
- Coast to Coast - biking trip from Boston to Seattle, (June-July 1999) - Jeff Henderson '97 and Matt Nuffort '98
- Hiking the Appalachian Trail - Jeremy Archer '98 and Jess Kipp '99 started hiking the entire AT south to north on Thursday, June 3, 1999. They are traveling using ultralight methods.
- Hiking the Appalachian Trail - Katherine Byers '00 and Lissa Edwards '99 started hiking the AT from Harriman State Park in New York to Mt. Katadhin on Friday, June 11, 1999.
Tiger Adventure - this team
of dedicated Princeton athletes competes in outdoor endurance races and organizes services
races for youth (Tiger Cub Races) in the California area. Tiger Adventure has been
selected as one of the U.S. teams to race in the Discovery Channel Eco-Challenge in Patagonia. The race is
scheduled for Nov. 24 - Dec. 13, 1999.
The racing team included the following OA Leader alums: Katie Gamble '98, Kevin McGuire '93 (Friends of OA Board member), Sandy McMillan '93, Janine Pisani '93 (Friends of OA Board member), and former OA participants Jennifer Golden '95 and Julia Worcester '95
- The support team included former participants Lori Bassman '90, Alexa Boer '90, and Alexa Klimas Cocoran '95.
- Circumnavigation of New England by Sea Kayak - Torrey McMillan '96 completed a circumnavigation of New England during the summer of 2000 following a route set by her great-uncle in the 1930's. Previously Sandy was the only woman to finish the Findlandia Challenge kayak race from Chicago to New York in 1996. [Sandy McMillan of Tiger Adventure and Torrey are related, brother and sister and OA Leaders. Hard core endurance athletes seem to run in the family.]
- Climb Against the Odds - Women's Climb of Mt. McKinley to raise money and awareness about breast cancer for the Breast Cancer Fund (June, 1998) - Majka Burhardt '99, Bethany Coates '98, Naomi Darling '96,Katie Gamble '98, and Meg Smith '98.
- Climb for the Cure - Climb of Mt. McKinley to raise money and awareness about AIDS for AmFAR (The American Foundation for AIDS Research) (June, 1993) - Alex Friedman '93, Mark Haefele '93, Annie Howell '93, Jess Mosblech '93, Dave Plumb '95, Helena Taylor '95 and Felipe Valdes-Arrieta '93.