"Old Nassau" has been Princeton's alma mater since 1859, and it is a time-honored tradition for students and alumni to sing this song at the conclusion of Commencement, Class Day and many Reunions events.
While singing, Princetonians display immense pride and passion for the University by placing a hand over their heart and saluting “Old Nassau,” an affectionate name for the University based on its historic central administration building, Nassau Hall. In the video above, an array of students perform the alma mater.
The song's original lyrics were written by Harlan Page Peck, of the Class of 1862, while Karl Langlotz, who taught German at Princeton and directed a choral group, wrote the music. The piano Langlotz used is now in Prospect House on the campus, and his violin can be found in the Princeton University Archives.